What is your worst concert experience?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beachboydw, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Jlbrach

Jlbrach Forum Resident

i went to see Jack White at Radio City Music hall in NYC a short time ago,went out of my way to get the ticket and was very excited...show was sold out and White comes on and plays what I thought was a terrific 40 minutes of music and then all a sudden seems aggravated and walks off the stage..nobody knows what the problem is and everyone expects him back ...time passes and still no Jack White and people begin to boo and all of a sudden the lights go on and an announcement is made that the show is over....no explanation given....apparently White did not think the crowd was excited enough or something like that ...I told the people at Radio City that i expected my money back but they told me it was the promoters issue etc..the irony is I think White is a giant talent and I enjoyed the abbreviated show but thought the whole thing was a disgrace....talk about a spoiled narcissist.

Hammerpeg, Binni, jason202 and 6 others like this.
  2. houston

houston Forum Resident

you mean "follow me, don't follow me", the line from "Orange Crush"? :D

Grassy Sound likes this.
  3. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

This seems to be the key theme in a good chunk of these. I look forward to the day--and I think it just may actually come--when the Public says...uh, the Ritual Trumping Music sham is kinda dull and an insulting rip-off to boot, bye.

4. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Atomic Rooster and the Lou-less Velvet Underground, in daylight in a muddy field outside of Toledo. Luckily we had plenty of drugs.

5. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

I saw the Crowes in '02 or '03 and it was a miserable experience. Mixed WAY too loud for the hall. People were leaving in droves

MikaelaArsenault and One Louder like this.
  6. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Oh just remembered a similar experience seeing Peter Gabriel at the Garden State Arts Center, for the 'Security' (?) tour. It was one of the worst mixed live shows I've ever heard/see. EVERYONE was complaining that it was so loud, it was painful.

7. wayved

wayved Guest

If you are at a concert with some friends just shut the **** up when the band starts up. (I know cos I have talked over opening bands to my peril)
    overheard conversations:

man in crowd1: shirt off. talking to his friend: then she proceeded to tell me how horrible my dog was. And then she admitted to having some man in a lift! She got mad when i confronted her about it..."Are you upset" she asked... "Do You need to see a therapist? Do you have thoughts of harming yourself" so i wound up in some psyche ward where they showed me weird videos. I didnt even say anything or do anything. I was just mad she cheated on me...she called me a loser while she was making love to him. and they wanted to lock ME up. He had her car towed the next day. She is really wonderful.

man in crowd 2 (different conversation) washed my hands cos I just got done. Then her that she better learn how to do that or I would leave her. I knew she had warts on her hands, bit there? It used to be better with my left you know cast it waaaaaay out there, but i never got the same satisfaction that i had from my right, but thats my problem.. Chlorets! No its ok--i will hold your spot whilst you go to the bathroom...Needless to say i walked home in dusk with my boots all nasty. Stank. I dont like this band.

manincrowd3: Man this issss gonna make a greeatt youtube videeeo **** yeah F*&^K YEAH F*&K YEAH

(announcer PLEASE WELCOME THE THIN!! (crowd roars)
    vocalist: what I wouldnt give for some nachos or some ****. label hasent paid us yet for the 3 copies we sold of our new record.....Why are you looking at me like that? Yeah you--you in the front row--(drummer counts off the first song in their set "Eating Is For Rich people
    no vocals for the song...

vocalist: Gald. I just got out of the bathroom and it stinks real bad. thos next song is called Appetite. 1,2,3
    (this reviewr finally realises that there is a reason why this band is called THE THIN cos they just dont eat food.)
    audience member throws a steak and a bag of doritos and a six pack of GUINESS on the stage and says your gonna die eat you f*&ker just eat"
    vocalist: eat my f*&k? so was Darby Crash.
    their last song of the night was called Vanishing Into the Night.
    My bones are beautiful!
    Dig my thinness and my bones

8. wayved

wayved Guest

i tried to meet them at the afterparty but they just were having none of that.
    "I am going to go run" said the vocalist
    The bass player howled for yogurt in the night heat.

"Jeesis dont puke" the road manager said to himself.....as he loaded all their gear out.

speedracer and Frittenköter like this.
  9. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Joe Strummer touring behind "Earthquake Weather" sometime in 1989 at the Palladium in New York City.

Two minutes into the show and the crowd started spitting violently. I mean like 100 people spitting towards the stage. Oh, lucky me, I was in the second row! I never even heard the second song start as I headed for the exit.

MOE DOLLAZ likes this.
  10. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Los Lobos in Leeds 20 years ago. Their bus broke down on route and had no time for a sound check. Arrived very late on stage and sound was shot. They cut the st short when half the audience walked out. The beer was off as well.

MOE DOLLAZ likes this.
  11. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

Nope. I mean "Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky and tell the sky - Fallllll Onnn Meeee" (repeat) (repeat)"

12. houston

houston Forum Resident

that crowd was more cerebral than I gave them credit for! :winkgrin:

13. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I saw Bon Jovi live once in the 80s....not my idea

14. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

Bob Dylan in Cedar Falls, Iowa a few years back.

Absolutely nothing to do with Bob, but a few twats sitting/standing behind me were complaining the entire time that they couldn't see over me.

15. houston

houston Forum Resident

and why were these animals behaving like this?

16. houston

houston Forum Resident

these were not members of the Lollipop Guild by chance? :winkgrin:

17. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

For me it has to be U2 on the ZooTV tour in, if memory serves correct, Tinley Park, IL. First, major major traffic issues and it took about 3 hours to get to the border of the venue to actually park. By that time we had missed a lot of Public Enemy.

The worst part though is that I made the mistake of going with "the friend that is there to drink". That is, the number one priority was beer...where to get it...how to keep drinking it...getting up every 15 minutes to get more. Also, this "friend" was so concerned about sneaking into the good seats that we spent the first 45 minutes wandering around in the first rows getting kicked out of where we were constantly, pissing off other concertgoers, agitating security. I realized that I had missed the first 45 minutes of my favorite band, went back the seats "in the grass" where we belonged, and parked myself there. My "friend" spent the rest of the show pissed at me for the mere fact that I wanted to enjoy the show. For him it was about how drunk he could get and how close to the stage he could get.

2nd place goes to the idiot at the Peter Gabriel New Blood Orchestra show who would NOT stop yelling "GENESIS!" through the entire show. And...you guessed it...he threatened to sue the venue as he was finally led out by security (with only a few songs left...show ruined).

18. Hmmm. I've been to my share of mediocre concerts, but no outright BAD ones (I don't tend to go see live shows unless my brother is playing or I LOVE the group in question--plus living in Oklahoma we didn't tend to get a lot of the bigger acts till about 10-ish years ago). However, I did have to deal with one entitled little wench at a Michael Nesmith show back in April. We're at the Magic Bag in Ferndale Michigan, RIGHT up front in the standing room area--I'm like ten feet from the man's freaking Ipad stand. The show is rocking, Chris Scruggs is wailing away on guitar, Mandolin and Pedal Steel, Nez is in fine voice, all is well with the universe, to say the least. They start into Grand Ennui, one of my top 5 or so favorites of his. Then, this little dingbat turns around and asks, screaming over the music, "Can you take a picture of me with him in the Background? I've already got pics of myself with the other three [Monkees], and I want to collect the set! Make sure you get a good shot of his face..." Too stunned at this woman's treatment of the man like a freaking POKEMON to respond with an abrupt Hell NO , I figure a quick picture is the easiest way to end this torture for our neighboring concertgoers. I hand my phone (on which I'm recording the audio) to my gobsmacked friend Cin, and take the most minimally acceptable picture I can as quickly as possible. She says "It'll do" in a pained tone of voice, and at least I was rid of her by the bridge.

Joke was on her though--I was getting over a HORRIBLE cold that night and I made sure to breathe liberally on her camera. :winkgrin:

19. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Chill out, man, that was Michael Stipe.

20. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

IIRC They were supposed to play Pittsburgh the next night and cancelled that altogether.

I finally got to see them in Pittsburgh on Saturday night. They were amazing.

MikaelaArsenault and sublemon like this.
  21. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

No, but I'm 6'2", and they were in the 5'5" range. I told them they should have paid more to get better seats, but they didn't seem to agree.

22. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I don't know who Mark Robinson is but any artist that makes disparaging remarks about The Ottawa Senators is alright in my books.
    I am a Leaf fan.
    Glen

23. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

Stop standing on your chair & take off that cowboy hat!

I always seem to get stuck next to some woman who has to dance to every song as she holds her full beer/margarita perilously close to my head. And sh'll be the only bi*ch standing in the whole section. Had one next to me last month at Fleetwood Mac whose method of dancing was to pretend she was washing her hands! Only person standing in the whole section.

24. houston

houston Forum Resident

you forgot to mention that your friend from the U2 show happened to be the same guy, who was now your ex-friend at the Peter Gabriel gig! :p

maybe not, but they sound similar...a couple of entitled dudes with no basic clue

MikaelaArsenault and glenecho like this.
  25. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

The Sens and their fans deserve the rep that they're developing.