What kind of stereo you have is really not important here! (REVISITED)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AVTechMan, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

My comments were meant to be very tongue-in-cheek. Of course you can't capture the Wall of Sound sound in a recording, especially a soundboard. An audience tape won't do it justice either. My comment about the headphone sound is because I listen to the recordings with headphones.

I was too young to ever get to hear the Wall of Sound live. I was a late adopter to The Dead. The first album of theirs I ever listened to was Without a Net back in the early 90s. Never went to a live show. But I love their music now and have quite a lot of their music now. I really should get one of the DVD releases of a live show so I can see what I've been hearing.

2. wilejoe

wilejoe Forum Resident

Sorry didn't mean to sound harsh, but I heard too many people comparing poor quality audience tapes to how the dead actually sounded. Try getting one of the shows I suggested on dead.net or go to http://www.gnomesandhobbits.com/Shows.html for some Furthur shows as the tour starts for about $15 you can download a nice sounding soundboard in flac
    Enjoy

3. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The sound of the Furthur soundboards is very poor. Compressed, poor mix, sonic artifacts (ticks, pops, crackles,etc). Just FYI.

4. wilejoe

wilejoe Forum Resident

There not as good as the RatDog soundboards.
    The first few tours were awful recordings I agree, but the ones from MSG and AC last tour were pretty good. Different nights had better recordings for some reason. I just thought he might want to check out some newer shows.
    BUt thanks I did notice that they weren't as good as they should have been
    With Larry Campbell playing with them at the Garden you can put up with a not so perfect recording.

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

THE WALL OF SOUND was run like you describe. Their later system was not the wall of sound, but was in stereo. The Frank Doris article/interview is really good. The lengths the sound crew went to get good sound were fairly amazing.

6. wilejoe

wilejoe Forum Resident

I was listening to a Furthur soundboard and I did notice that it did seem a little more "compressed' then usual.
    What is the advantage in having it compressed, so to say, and how much easier is it to give a better quality recording to us for downloading in flac.
    I'm just getting back into hifi and am trying to learn as much as possible
    Thanks for any help
    and a very Happy Easter to all.

7. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Google "loudness wars". :confused:

Those of us who download a lot of live music, both officially released and "unofficial", have long expressed disappointment at the poor quality of Furthur and Allman Bros Band official SBD's. And it unfortunately goes beyond compression; as noted, ticks and pops are not unusual, nor are AC hums and buzzes, and sometimes questionable mixing desk and EQ decisions.

wilejoe likes this.
  8. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I've always preferred the "live venue" and control monitor type of sound like my old favourite Pro JBL/McIntosh system produced. I'd go back to that type in a heartbeat if I had the space to accommodate one.

The system that I have now moves somewhat in that direction. This is the type of sound I like and that is all that really matters to me.

By listing my system it at least gives anyone reading my review/opinion of a recording somewhat of an idea where I'm coming from and why I might hear things the way I do.

9. sunrayjack

sunrayjack Forum Resident

Worry not my friend, some people on here know way to much about gear and not enough about enjoying the music.

10. sunrayjack

sunrayjack Forum Resident

like your post and your humor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.