What kind of stereo you have is really not important here! (REVISITED)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AVTechMan, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

This is really a great post and especially this last paragraph reflects exactly my sentiments about audio :righton:

2. macster

macster Forum Resident

What I own

These bestest
    These damn good
    My favorite Dunno why maybe it's the cool gold pins.
    What I normally run Smooth and addictive and normally what I use.

They are all good, whatever one you pick depends on what sonic signature you are after. They all allow you to enjoy the music.

M~

3. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

I recently posted a TT recommendation thread with a budget of $400. I got 1 reply here. Same thread @ another highly regarded "audiophile" website got 2 pages of replies.

'Nuff said.

4. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Blue Ribbon for best post in thread.:righton:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

This is primarily a music forum and not a gear forum. 'Nuff said.

6. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

May I suggest eating Cup Noodles for lunch :hide:

7. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Pro-ject Debut III $399.00.

8. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Better yet, sell your plasma. Not only do you get cash, but free juice AND a cookie! :righton:

9. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

There really aren't that many choices and honestly, none of the majors are that bad. Say, the Rega RP1, ProJect Carbon and Music Hall or maybe a slightly used Technics SL1200.

None of these is a really wrong way to go. Not really sure what there is two pages to discuss. Buy one of them, see how you like it and try something else if you don't.

10. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Funny, this topic comes up on my computer under "Hardware", not "Music", which is a different forum on this web site.

11. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Probably like most posters here, I'll listen to music on whatever is available, but again, this is a "Hardware" forum, so it seems to me the gear is important here

12. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I believe that the law of diminishing returns sets in with audio systems at a fairly low (to most people) price point. After say, $5,000 or so (or insert your number here) in system cost, it can take a good percentage of the total invested to improve the sound by upgrading. Does a $10,000 system sound twice as good as a $5,000 system? Probably not, but all things being equal (system synergy, etc.) the $10,000 system is going to sound better. I do think you have to spend a certain amount (or buy right used) to be able to determine the differences in mastering, pressings. Your system has to be revealing "enough". More money spent after a certain point does not guarantee better sound, IMO. Enjoy the Music!!

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I saw nothing wrong with his post this time.:confused:

14. libertycaps

Same here. Strange, isn't it? :cheers:

15. Grant

That word "eventually" is what I have to live on. I will upgrade, but it's a matter of when.

16. Grant

Actually, it's a primarily mastering forum where we discuss music and audio.:)

17. Grant

And no energy!

18. libertycaps

^This.

19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

STEVE HOFFMAN MUSIC FORUMS

But yeah, I generally agree. Anyhow, this SECTION of the forum is dedicated to gear, but this doesn't guarantee that gear oriented audiophiles will congregate here in the way that they will at one of the gear forums with separate sections for speakers, amps, TTs, etc.

On another note, I hope to read a post from kevintomb someday which reads something along the lines of, "I heard a purportedly hi-end system recently with modestly pricey gear and I was blown away! Although the cost may not justify the end, the experience was beyond that which I could have anticipated."

20. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Yes that is miffing about people who might have expensive systems and then say they never really bothered to seek out the best sounding pressing of an Lp or cd and that they don't really hear much difference in pressings. I consider the sound quality of the pressing and the rooms natural acoustics to have greater bearing than the equipment itself. That thread was on another forum and I think you might have commented over there too.

21. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The denial aspect is directly tied to self-esteem and/or class warfare, etc. I can't afford the latest and greatest Porsche 911 C4S, but it would be insane for me to believe that my '79 SC is nearly as great save for the cupholders and heated seats. I enjoy my '79 and I'm happy with it. If the time comes where I can move up the chain, then I'll do so. I'll certainly take up the opportunity to take the new model for a spin and I won't come home ashamed or disappointed that the price is beyond my current means.

22. Grant

Oh please!:rolleyes:

23. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

obviously, what kind of stereo i have is important to me or i wouldn't be perusing audiophile forums and giving it my attention.

what kind of stereo you have, on the other hand, isn't important to me...unless you're making recommendations as to what i should do with my stereo. then, it's pertinent. it helps to establish biases.

24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Well said. I do wonder though, do you not feel the need to question the sanity of those members who spend over $20 grand on audio gear!? I mean, most us likely know far better how THEY could have spent THEIR money. LOL. And ya know, sound quality does stop getting better after whatever amount it is that I've spent. Geez Louizzzz.

25. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

My "really" was in quotes and comparing hardware to software upgrades. I don't see that as a broad generalization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.