What level of damage for a vinyl warrants an Amazon return?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Diorama, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have got 50 Words For Snow vinyl record from Amazon.

The first one had a huge scratch down the actual vinyl record.

The second one had crease marks all over the cover, so I have put in for a replacement.

I am curious at what level do people return stuff?

I use to let things slide like crease marks and buy another one later but I soon realized why should I, I bought an item as new. It was damaged so why should I not get it as I ordered it.

I have heard people returning the latest Batman Animated Series on Blu-Ray up to 5 times as it was damaged.

Cheers

patient_ot likes this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I return records if they have problems that bother me. Doesn't matter if they're from Amazon or somewhere else. My most recent return is a $45 LP that arrive with a big crease in the jacket. If it was a $10 LP I probably would not have cared, but I waited months to get a copy of this album and it was quite expensive so it's going back.

The vast majority of my returns are due to pressing defects like off-center, warps, and non-fill. Not damage to the jackets and so on. Most of the time my jackets arrive looking fine.

3. Diorama

Amazon, I think 90 percent in the past year have had damage to jackets, for me anyways.

4. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

The problem with the Batman box was they shipped them in a plastic envelope and the “batbox” is cheap and flimsy. I called to return and asked if it could be reshipped in a box. They totally understood and did just that. I can’t imagine why it took someone 5 times to return it.

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I believe you. A lot depends on how things are packaged in their warehouses. Depending where you live and what item you are ordering you may be getting items from a different place than other people that are not complaining. Or the other folks may just be more tolerant of defects than you.

If I had 90% of my shipments arrive with damaged jackets, I'd buy somewhere else.

Paully likes this.
  6. Diorama

Mines came in perfect condition which I surprised about.

Pizza likes this.
  7. Diorama

Yeah, I am starting to look elsewhere. Some of there records are at good prices, but some not.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. KevinG

KevinG Well-Known Member

I return LPs if they have 1) visible scratches, 2) warped, 3) cover damage.

Man at C&A and zphage like this.
  9. I must have a great Amazon distribution center. All records I buy from Amazon are double boxed, LP mailer inside a larger box etc. I couldn't be happier with their shipping.

SJP, Adam6437, supermd and 5 others like this.
  10. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Amazon pack CDs and LPs very badly these days and I try to avoid buying these items from them at all times. Sadly though they're sometimes the only retailer who has stock or they're by far the best price so I am forced into playing packaging roulette.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Me too, generally I have almost zero problems with their shipping. And the return policy is really easy too, they ship you a new one before you have even returned the old one. Of course, I try to limit my returns to the really bad stuff as I have read about people getting their Amazon accounts shut down for excessive returns, which makes sense if a person's returns are out of control. So no damaged jackets for me either, but I wouldn't bother to return them anyway.

12. Converse

Converse Well-Known Member

If a record arrives here in anything but perfect condition it goes back.
    Thats another good thing about prime They collect from me.

13. By creases, I assume you mean, a dinged/bent cover? (creasing implies something too neat and orderly).

14. sunking101

That's a scare tactic though isn't it. If my returns are 100% due to poor packaging on Amazon's part then I wash my hands of all responsibility. I'm not someone who buys a gadget, plays with it for a week and then returns it. Or someone who buys clothing, tries it on, doesn't like it and then sends it back. These are the kinds of customer that online retailers don't like.

I must admit that I accept a bit more damage to my digipaks etc than I used to but that's mainly because returning things is such hassle. I've even returned an album damaged in transit only to receive a damaged replacement. Returning things is a PITA so they do have to be unacceptably trashed for me to bother nowadays.

15. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Given your wording, would a small independent seller be given more leeway?

16. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Amazon has created a new problem this holiday season where they now deliver to my work after business hours. Infuriating.

17. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Any damage warrants a return. My Beatles stereo CD box set arrived from Amazon UK with one slightly bashed corner, and I've regretted not returning it for 9 years. Whenever I get it out it's the first thing I notice.

It's Felix and sunking101 like this.
  18. People on this forum have lost their accounts because of excessive returns of "damaged" product. Personally I think some people can be a bit nitpicky. It's more than a scare tactic though I wouldn't say it's exactly common.

19. sunking101

Surely if the product has been damaged in the post and it's a regular occurrence then it must be due to the packaging? I would say that Amazon's packaging literally begs for damage. Who would send out a digipack or card sleeve CD in an envelope? Any kind of weight on the packet and the spine of the product is crushed. I have had this from Amazon a few times. I've also had bent/creased corners on a number of occasions, not to mention cracked jewel cases.

Amazon package most items well but their CD packaging is beyond lousy. It's literally in the lap of the gods whether the goods arrive in a decent condition.

therunner likes this.
  20. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

I agree. I would return a damaged digipack or card sleeve CD but not a damaged jewel case, as I keep a stock of decent jewel cases myself to swap with damaged ones from Amazon, ebay or charity shops.

21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

If I go into a brick and mortar, I can inspect the product I'm buying, and decide from there.

If I'm ordering online I know that it getsto go through the machine that is the postal service. A bent corner wouldn't bother me, it happens. The mail service, by its nature, is going to stress the product one way or another. Personally speaking, anyone who expects the same results from going to a store and inspecting, against something coming in the mail, is detached from reality and has excessive expectations. Take Amazon, for example, they're basically the Wal Mart of the internet. You tend to get Wal Mart service. They're a bulk-mailing company, after all.

Torn covers, missing artwork, damage that prevents playback, and it'd go back. If I'm buying Vinyl, I know it's not CD. That is, the odd crackle is perfectly normal for the format, as such, it's not a deal breaker unless it is excessive (rather than the odd crackle, it lasts for a few seconds). A pop wouldn't be a deal breaker, but a scratch where there are successive pops would be. On secondhand product, normal wear and tear for an album may well contain "ring wear" on album covers etc. That's all perfectly normal. Expecting secondhand product to look like it just came from the factory is silly talk, imo. And yeah, if you're buying that first press Beatles albums, perhaps I'd feel differently at a price point of £1000's.

Amazon apparently have banned some people, but frankly from what I've read that's perfectly understandable. If a store constantly provides you with product you're not happy with, why are you continuing to order from them? I think it's PRICE that does it. People rush to whomever is cheaper, even if they've had bad experiences in the past. If I was paranoid about the condition of Vinyl I received I'd nurture relationships on Discogs and with brick and mortar stores, and not rely on warehouse operations where essentially, you're just another order of some object that needs to get in the mail.

At the end of the day I'm looking to enjoy the music. If I couldn't enjoy Vinyl due to a crackle, I'd not buy it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Dave Garrett likes this.
  22. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

For sure any damage that can be heard.

23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Personally, I think this is only half of the answer. I would add: If you, as a consumer, know Amazon don't always use Bubblewrap for CD's - which you'd prefer - why do you keep shopping with them? Shop somewhere else. :shrug:

Dave likes this.
  24. sunking101

Sometimes Amazon are the only retailer who carry a certain title, or it is significantly cheaper in which case I'll ride the packaging rodeo. I'm not super-picky like some, I'd like to be but it's just too much hassle. I've had a digipak arrive the other day with a bent corner and I've kinda accepted it. I wish it was mint though, because I paid £16.99 for a brand new item. Surely it should arrive at my door in brand new condition 90%+ of the time and not 50%-ish of the time due to dire packaging?

It's Felix likes this.
  25. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

About 8000 threads on this already - so I would return your thread.....

However, I always return if I am not happy - not crackles, but scratches, bent sleeve, warp etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.