What Makes John Bonham Such a Good Drummer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Zerns, Dec 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

This question is answered within the first 15 seconds of the first song, on the first album.

2. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Yes! And guess what? Jimmy Page didn’t produce it!

violetvinyl and ostrichfarm like this.
  3. He hit hard, but always played with sensitivity and he was acutely aware of what the other players were doing at all times. He was Dynamic, inventive and his pocket had such a great feel to it. My favorite drummer.

4. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

He defined how rock drums sound.

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. 905

905 Senior Member

My first thought.
    I consider Bonham to be the best rock drummer I've heard.

Retropsych and steve phillips like this.
  6. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

His drum sound was like musical thunder

7. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Groove, sound, and intensity. His Moby Dick solo on the 1970 DVD concert is phenomenal.

violetvinyl and phonograph like this.
  8. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Yes, I always wondered how Bonham could be regarded so highly when Ginger Baker didn't rate him. But then I remembered that Ginger was a curmudgeonly prick, rest in peace.

Lownote30 likes this.
  9. Lots of great things have been said here that I would like to have said, but I'll just say that if you look at all the drummers that tried to mimic him in the 80's and beyond (I'm looking at you GVF :laugh:), they fall waaaay short. None of them get it. Not even close. It's always the big, flashy, loud, mostly visual display because that's all they have. It's a hollow characature.

10. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Forum Resident

Hammer of the Gods.

11. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

For me it's his hi-hat playing. Doesn't sound like anyone else.

polchik and 905 like this.
  12. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

That was always my argument as well. It helped that production wise, his sound was huge. Combined with his talent his legend is cemented.

I honestly don’t think he would have been as popular if his drums were recorded crappy and had a cardboard box sound like a lot of drummers had in the 70’s. That’s my opinion anyway.

13. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Creativity. And the drum sound he had. Very acoustic sounding, but very large, like someone said. He was a very dynamic drummer

905 likes this.
  14. 905

905 Senior Member

I'm listening to Zeppelin this evening, and was noticing the hi-hat playing. I did a Forum search and saw this post, so had to bump this thread. :pleased:

15. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm convinced it's the hi-hat that gives Zep their distinctive sound. Not joking either. :)

905 likes this.
  16. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

His influences included soul and R&B, he also was the kind of drummer who was listening and aware of everything going on in the song. He hit extremely hard but he also had finesse. Still the best rock drummer of all time.

905 likes this.
  17. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

To give an example how loud bonzo was on stage Page attempted to use 4! Vox AC30 amps live and they weren't loud enough?

From "guitar player" magazine interview 1977

You were using Vox amps with the Yardbirds?
    AC 30's. They've held up consistently well. Even the new ones are pretty good. I tried some; I got four in and tried them out, and they were all reasonably good. I was going to build up a big bank of four of them, but Bonzo's kit is so loud that they just don't come over the top of it properly.

905 likes this.
  18. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Especially JPJ. Incredible, creative rhythm section. IMO, they are what separated the mighty Zep from the pack.

905 likes this.
  19. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

The best part of bonzo is he's slightly behind the beat; not enough to notice but just enough to hear a slight lag (listen to wanton song)

tedg65 and 905 like this.
  20. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I’ve always thought he was highly overrated, but don’t let me change the way you feel about him. There’s a lot of rock drummers that wow a lot of people but only get a “meh” out of me, like Neil Peart. Not my bag.

21. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

When I saw Led Zeppelin in concert, they played "Moby Dick", and I thought at first, "Oh, no, not a long drawn out drum solo", but it was mesmerizing. Not only was he hitting the drums hard, but he played the middle bit without sticks, using only his bare hands.

22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Bonham had unparalleled feel--the nuances, the tone, the groove of his playing. His ability to lock in with other musicians. His funk, r&b, jazz and world music influences. His technical facility and creativity balanced with tastefulness and playing for the song. He could have "played the phone book" and it would have been glorious.

The Trinity likes this.
  23. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

It's his tuning/tone that really sucks you in. Just a friendly, earthy sound. It's a bigger, louder, rock version of Joe Morello's sound on The Dave Brubeck Quartet At Carnegie Hall.

His cymbals too - Paiste Giant Beats and 2002s were just right for Zep music, and whatever engineer Page was using, they always sounded good.

24. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

I was anti Bonham while going throuh my punk/new wave phase in the early 80's.

Until I started REALLY listening to his playing.

Not only was the guy a poweful player, he invented an incredibly originaly style, had a drum sound like no other but could also TUNE his kit to reflect his unique sound.

I'm convinced he was not of this planet.

905, The Trinity and sound chaser like this.
  25. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

If you haven’t already, check out George Fludas and bonzoleum on youtube.

tedg65 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.