What movie are you watching Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Dec 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's too bad... well at least I have the DVD.

2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Watched The Christmas Chronicles with Kurt Russell on Netflix. It’s a fun, fantasy comedy worth catching. Look for Little Steven Van Zandt in the jail scenes which really Rocks!

mmars982 likes this.
  3. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

Mickey’s Christmas Carol.

4. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Christmas in Connecticut, for which just about everyone was miscast. But I'll watch just about anything that has Barbara Stanwyck in it.

5. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I don't think so. I never even heard of this until TCM began airing it around Christmas about 3 years ago. Right now it's on the Watch TCM app (so you can either watch it on your computer, or on a streaming device like a Roku). It is a VERY odd program...

Michael likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

how much is it? is it free?, netflix?

7. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

If you have a Roku the app is free (I assume it's also available on the Amazon FireStick or the Google Chromecast). They probably will ask to confirm if you have a cable carrier. Plus it's also on the TCM website - I guess you can watch it on your computer , or if you have a way to plug your computer into your TV.

Michael likes this.
  8. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Also watched ‘Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol’, a classic written by the cream of Broadway talent, Jule Styne and Bob Merrill, and was the first made for television Christmas special predating ‘Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer’.

Ghostworld and mmars982 like this.
  9. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

WGN in Chicago was running Hardrock, Coco and Joe, Suzy Snowflake and Frosty back in the 1950's.

And Castle films also did this one, which was broadcast on TV.
    Twas the Night Before Christmas (Castle Films)

10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I wasn't at home. The movie had Tim Allen in it and some school principal. While not good it was Christmasy.

I can't play any DVD or see a movie too many times without risking overload where I can't watch it again. But I think A Christmas Carol is probably the optimum Christmas film for me.

11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Santa Clause 2, I presume?

12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

We watched Christmas Vacation and Cinematic Titanic's riff of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

13. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I didn't ask the name as I was only half or one quarter watching. There was some evil Santa with toy soldiers running amok and an unpleasant school principal questioning Tim Allen's sanity. Is that Clause 2?

14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Yep. That's it.

Mr Bass likes this.
  15. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Was a busy Holiday week, but was able to go see Welcome To Marwen on Christmas Eve.

16. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I’m a bit late here, but I watched the newish blu-ray of Bob Hope’s The Lemon Drop Kid. A sort of Christmas movie.

17. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I watched Only Angels Have Wings. Christmas television was generally abysmal in the UK, though I enjoyed John Malkovich as a rather dark Poirot, the repeats of Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer's Big Night Out, the repeat of the Dad's Army episode where Arthur Lowe played Mainwaring's drunken twin, any Father Ted and the Detectorists.

18. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Watched Bad Santa this year. Bad Santa = Bad Movie.

Two thumbs up for Lauren Graham though! :love:

SBurke likes this.
  19. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Best Christmas movies? Got any nominations?

I was looking through some lists to see if I could find something that could unit the clan and get the noisy dreck off the television. Came across this list: 40 Best Christmas Movies of All Time - Best Christmas Films Ever Made

Pretty good list, not sure it's missing anything, but as is often the case with lists like this, the ordering in some places is downright bizarre -- "The Apartment" at no. 12, and "Bad Santa" at no. 8? There has to be something psychologically wrong with you if you think the latter is a better picture.

No kidding.

20. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Our annual James Stewart Christmas Day marathon:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

The Bishop's Wife. Nice cinematography by the great Gregg Toland. Here's textbook example of his stunning (to me, at least) deep-focus photography. Do modern filmmakers even bother with this kind of stuff anymore?

[​IMG]

22. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I might watch Gremlins- that’s great on Christmas.

23. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Eyes Wide Shut

24. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

The Thin Man

360-12 likes this.
  25. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Close Encounters of the Third Kind followed by The Thin Man. Myrna Loy is spectacular, as is Asta.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.