What New Christmas Albums Are Coming Out This Year?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fannymac, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident Thread Starter

So far, I've only heard of Eric Clapton and Rodney Crowell.

2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Are we speaking only of brand new Christmas albums or reissues as well that have long been out of circulation or never before available on CD?

3. Tord

Tord Forum Resident

The Monkees - Christmas Party
    Mike Love - Reason for the Season

4. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

Let's give the holiday a 'holiday', and refrain from releasing one (just once.)

5. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

6. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Too early to think about Christmas.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Most of the brand new Christmas albums are already up for pre-order. Almost all have a release date in October and are due to come out in less than a month, so I hardly think its too early for such discussion of upcoming holiday releases.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  8. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

The Monkees and Mike Love with new Christmas albums....what year is this? :)

micktanner, scobb, Dr. Pepper and 2 others like this.
  9. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

What just about to start a thread that covered both new Christmas releases and reissues this year. This is why you've got to start threads early!;)

New releases include:

The Monkees Christmas Party
    Rodney Crowell Christmas Everywhere
    William Shatner (feat. Henry Rollins, Brad Paisley, Joe Louis Walker, Todd Rundgren, Iggy Pop, Judy Collins) Shatner Claus
    Mitch "Devil with a Blue Dress" Ryder Christmas (Take a Ride)
    Eric Clapton Happy Xmas
    Nils Christmas Everyday
    Engelbert Humperdinck Warmest Christmas Wishes
    Mike Love (Beach Boys) Reason for the Season
    LeAnn Rimes It's Christmas, Eve

Reissues include:

John Klein: A Christmas Sound Spectacular and All Around The Christmas Tree 2-fer CD (liner notes by our own @RSteven )
    Andre Kostelanetz and His Orchestra The Complete Christmas Albums (1959's Joy To The World; 1963's Wonderland Of Christmas; 1965's Wishing You A Merry Christmas)
    The McGuire Sisters Greetings From The McGuire Sisters
    Bonanza TV Cast: The Complete Christmas On The Ponderosa: Christmas At The Ponderosa and Lorne Greene's Have A Happy Holiday 2-fer CD
    Rod McKuen New Carols For Christmas: The Rod McKuen Christmas Album

A bunch of vinyl reissues that are already widely readily available on CD (and some even new vinyl already), including:
    Chet Atkins Christmas With Chet Atkins
    Johnny Mathis Merry Christmas
    A Motown Christmas
    (Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Jackson 5, Temptations, etc.)
    Willie Nelson Pretty Paper
    The Everly Brothers Christmas With The Everly Brothers and the Boys Town Choir (Vinyl and CD)
    and more from Friday Music, but nothing really new here although they thankfully do use the original artwork

Would love to hear what else people have heard about!

10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

11. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GW4MFDP/?tag=imwan-20

1. White Christmas
    2. Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town
    3. I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day / Carol of the Bells
    4. Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!!
    5. Jingle Bells
    6. Ave Maria
    7. Silver Bells
    8. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
    9. Christ was Born on Christmas Day / Angels We Have Heard on High
    10. Frosty the Snowman
    11. Winter Wonderland
    12. Gesu Bambino
    13. Silent Night / O' Little Town of Bethlehem / We Wish You a Merry Christmas
    14. All Around the Christmas Tree
    15. Sleigh Ride
    16. Joy to the World / Adeste Fideles / Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
    17. The Little Drummer Boy
    18. O Holy Night
    19. God Rest You Merry, Gentleman / O Christmas Tree / Deck the Halls
    20. I'll Be Home for Christmas
    21. Greensleeves
    22. Away in a Manger / The First Noel / It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
    23. The Christmas Song
    24. Ave Maria

"RCA’s Living Stereo imprint made quite the cottage industry out of releasing Christmas albums in the late ‘50s/early ‘60s, and indeed we at Real Gone Music have taken great pleasure and pride in releasing a lot of them on CD. But of all the Living Stereo Christmas records, the one that is perhaps the most distinctive—and one that remains close to many people’s hearts—is the 1959 album by musical Renaissance man John Klein, A Christmas Sound Spectacular. Trained by Igor Stravinsky and Nadia Boulanger (teacher to both Aaron Copland and Quincy Jones!), Klein brought his formidable talent and skill on this album to the most imposing instrument in the world: the Carillon Americana, the largest of its kind, consisting of 1500 bronze caste bells ringing in perfect tonal quality. In fact, the Carillon Americana was so large that RCA Victor brought all of their recording equipment to the instrument’s home at the Schulmerich Bells’ offices in Sellersville, PA. instead of trying to move it to New York! The sound of the bells, beautifully meshed with Klein’s Billy May-inspired arrangements for accompanying orchestra, resulted in a record so unique that RCA offered a money-back guarantee to any customer who didn’t agree that it was “the most spectacular sound on records.” One suspects they got very few takers; however, this one-of-a-kind holiday classic has never been out on CD except for a small private pressing of the mono version; this marks the stereo CD debut of A Christmas Sound Spectacular, and, trust us, you’re gonna want to hear this in stereo! We’ve paired it with Klein’s other “bells” record, Let’s Ring the Bells All Around the Christmas Tree, which was recorded at the 1964 World’s Fair in New York with a Carillon specially built for the occasion, with arrangements by Henri Renè, who had already won his Christmas bona-fides by scoring Eartha Kitt’s unforgettable “Santa Baby”…another CD debut, also in stereo! Liner notes are by R. Steve Harmon, whose father James Harmon, President and Program Director at the mighty 690 in San Diego, chose to bring A Christmas Sound Spectacular home to play for the family out of all the thousands of Christmas records the radio station received. Remastered by Mike Piacentini at Battery Studios in New York...Christmas bells will be ringing once again this holiday season with this Real Gone release!"

Thanks for the shout-out from @Brian Mc for the John Klein album shown above and my contribution on the liner notes. Indeed, I had been working for many years to try to get this RCA Living Stereo version of this truly iconic album back out in circulation and in large part thanks to Chip Arcuri over at the Yulelog.com, it finally happened. Chip is the man when it comes to getting this iconic Christmas albums back out in circulation with original album artwork and spectacular and new CD liner notes and remastering.

Oh and by the way, the most thrilling thing of all to me is that Sony Music got us a totally brand new remaster for both of these albums, done by Mike Piacentini at their fantastic Battery Studios in New York. I have heard the stupendous remastering already, and let me tell you that both the 1500 bells and that Billy May inspired orchestra have never sounded as beautiful. Wow, and that jazz like rhythm section with splendid drumming and standup acoustic bass sound fantastic as well. I can hear instruments on the new digital remaster that I never heard on my father's old vinyl copy of the original album.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Dan C, frightwigwam, Simon A and 5 others like this.
  12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Here are some more contemporary or popular acts with expected Christmas album projects coming in the next few weeks:

Brett Eldredge (Either an expanded version of his previously released Glow album or a whole new holiday record is expected with the same big band arrangements and Mark Wilder's great mastering)
    Michael McDonald (OCT) (collection with one new track)
    William Shatner - Shatner Claus (The first sample single of Jingle Bells with Henry Rollins is an absolute kick in the pants with a really great arrangement and Bill's over the top dramatic recitation)
    David Archuletta - Winter In The Air (He said an a recent interview for Billboard Magazine that he and his producer wanted to re-create the Capitol Tower reverb sound of that historical recording studio)
    Susan Boyle (Not much information on this one or if it is still coming this year)
    The Mavericks (Full album follow up to last year’s single)
    Martina McBride (OCT) (traditional big band crooner style is expected with the late Patrick Williams doing the great big band charts before he passed away)
    John McDermott - Christmas In 1914 (Canadian MOR crooner)
    Matt Maher (Contemporary Christian)
    Old 97’s - Love The Holidays (Alt Country band with 9 original tunes)
    Mindi Abair (Smooth Jazz/Fusion sax player)
    Sarah Smith (Former lead singer of The Joys and award winning Rock vocalist)
    Mormon Tabernacle Choir—A Merry Little Christmas (OCT 12)
    John Legend
    Joel Paterson Hi Fi Christmas Guitar (Fantastic retro and Les Paul inspired guitarist with a physical CD of his digital release from last year and the album cover shot looks like it came from the 1950's as well.)

CWillman and Brian Mc like this.
  13. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Lindsey Stirling's Warmer In The Winter is getting the Deluxe treatment next month..and a Deluxe + 2 edition from Target...once again Target has an exclusive. Will have to drop by Target to pick up The Monkees, Lindsey Stirling and McCartney's album for their exclusive songs....and who knows what else

RSteven likes this.
  14. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I just pre-ordered Lindsey Stirling's deluxe version and wanted to do the same with The Monkees' album, but it shows it as being sold out already. Someone else on The Monkees' Christmas album thread said that this is probably just a temporary situation and they should open it back up for orders sooner or later. Great minds think alike apparently as I just did the pre-order for Lindsey Stirling's Warmer In The Winter five minutes ago.

Brian Mc likes this.
  15. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

I guess that this list is really the best place to check on upcoming Christmas albums:

THE LIST 2018

16. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

JD McPherson - Socks - Nov. 2

All original Christmas songs.

vinnie and RSteven like this.
  17. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

18. I believe Bear Family is releasing another Christmas-themed compilation.

joeortonjr and RSteven like this.
  19. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Looking forward to this re-issue.

Co-incidentally, I found an earlier Lp by Klein in a cardboard box in a Habitat for Humanity store, today, for 25¢ - 'Caroling On The Carillion: A New Sound For Christmas'. It's on the Columbia label (6 eyed label). Klein's name appears only on the back cover. Incredibly, the vinyl is in NM condition. Not bad for a record that 50 to 60 years old.

Simon A and RSteven like this.
  20. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I just received the actual CD on Wednesday and I have got to tell you that you will be blown away by the beauty of this album. The 12 page booklet is gorgeous and the remastering by Mike Piacentini at Battery Studios is stupendous to say the least. As I mentioned on the dedicated thread I started for A Christmas Sound Spectacular, my father's Living Stereo vinyl version never sounded this good. It has great dynamics and the stereo depth is wide and rich. Wow, it just took my breath away completely. Great picture of John Klein at the Carillon Americana and great shots of the back covers of both of his Christmas albums.

Its so ironic that you found a copy of that early Columbia album, Caroling On The Carillon, as I just got a rare CD release of it on eBay for a rather stiff price. A very beautiful sounding album in its own right, but missing the great orchestra and rhythm players on his iconic A Christmas Sound Spectacular album for RCA Victor. I am glad I have it too. It was like RCA Victor saw the possibilities with his Columbia holiday album and said "lets steal that guy and go big with his next holiday album." Wow, I think that it payed off in spades.

Simon A likes this.
  21. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

22. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

Picked up the Guaraldi LP/CD Charlie Brown Christmas twofer from Best Buy yesterday. Not bad priced at $22.99 and sounds great. Ill be heading to Cracker Barrel to see if they have that LP in their store as it is red/white split vinyl. Target's in on the act too with a free poster included but none of my local Targets have LPs.

23. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

I've ordered these releases this year. More than enough new music for the season to complement my existing collection:
    CHET ATKINS--"Christmas With Chet Atkins" (180gm Vinyl re-issue of 1961 classic from Del-Ray Records. I love Chet. Such a fantastic guitarist/arranger)
    HARRY BELAFONTE--"To Wish You A Merry Christmas" (180gm Vinyl re-issue of 1961 version of the 1958 classic from Del-Ray Records. Not the same ol' songs, plus I love his versions of "Mary's Boy Child" and "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day". Want to get to know the rest)
    HANNAH KERR--"Christmas Eve In Bethlehem" (nice renditions of classics, plus new songs like the lovely "Christmas Eve in Bethlehem")
    JOHN KLEIN--"A Christmas Sound Spectacular"/"Let's Ring The Bells" (RealGone 2fer; first stereo on CD of 1959 LP, first time on CD for 1964 LP) Klein brought his formidable talent and skill on this album to the most imposing instrument in the world: the Carillon Americana, the largest of its kind, consisting of 1500 bronze caste bells ringing in perfect tonal quality. In fact, the Carillon Americana was so large that RCA Victor brought all of their recording equipment to the instrument’s home at the Schulmerich Bells’ offices in Sellersville, PA. instead of trying to move it to New York! The sound of the bells, beautifully meshed with Klein’s Billy May-inspired arrangements for accompanying orchestra, resulted in a record so unique that RCA offered a money-back guarantee to any customer who didn’t agree that it was “the most spectacular sound on records.”
    ANDRE KOSTELANETZ--"The Complete Columbia Christmas Albums" (I love his Wonderland of Christmas album. Will be my 1st exposure to the other 2.) This comprehensive 2-CD, 42-track set features all three of the legendary conductor’s classic Columbia Christmas LPs – Joy to the World: The Music of Christmas (1959), Wonderland of Christmas (1963), and Wishing You a Merry Christmas (1965), on which he was joined by vocalist Phyllis Curtin and The St. Killian Boychoir – plus a host of holiday bonuses. These include Kostelanetz’s rare 1950 single of “White Christmas,” a complete recording of “The Nutcracker Suite” featuring Peter Ustinov, and additional seasonal favorites from the Kostelanetz catalog.

LORNE GREENE/CAST OF BONANZA--"The Complete Christmas On The Ponderosa" Don't know these albums, but I like Bonanza, so it might be fun :shrug:
    THE MONKEES--"Christmas Party" (Target Exclusive version of 10/12 release includes "Riu Chiu" and "Christmas Is My Time of Year". I was underwhelmed by this one: new songs are forgettable and/or generic and/or badly produced. Cover songs are fine for Monkees fans. Nothing really tops their already released song "Riu Chiu")
    LINDSEY STIRLING--"Warmer In The Winter [Deluxe Edition]" (Target Exclusive CD version featuring two all new bonus tracks)
    Deutsche Grammophon --"100 Christmas Masterworks" (Haven't seen a tracklisting yet, but press states "Packs in every conceivable carol, tune, choral work or song in timeless performances from the greatest artists in the world: singers of immense communicative gifts including Cecilia Bartoli, Bryn Terfel, Renée Fleming and Luciano Pavarotti to name but four. " )

Real Gone Music's Christmas slate is lacking this year, but there's at least 2 home runs with the Kostelanetz and Klein releases. Taking a chance on the Bonanza release hoping that it'll be fun like the TV show. I'm gonna pass on the McGuire Sisters (they're okay but not for me), McKuen (His Charlie Brown song is enough for me), Hanson (not my style) & New Kids on the Block (not my style) releases. To make up for my disappointment, I'm gonna use my Dean Martin Bear Family box sets to put together his Christmas/winter songs for enjoyment this year.

PhantomStranger and RSteven like this.
  24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

You and I have very similar tastes in our Christmas music, my friend! I just recently picked up a copy of the Harry Belafonte CD and I love that Chet Atkins original Christmas album. I got that one on a twofer CD with the Anita Kerr Christmas album.

Yes indeed, the Bonanza release should be a kick in the pants. I had the original CD, but have barely played it, so I look forward to hearing the new remastered version with Lorne Greene's first solo album. I am not too sure what to make of the Rod McKuen album, but I bought it merely because there was such a limited release by RGM, though no fault of their own. Man, those big labels sure got stingey with their cooperation with the independent labels this year.

Well, I also agree that the two highlights for me are definitely the John Klein twofer and the Andre Kostelanetz compilation with all three of his great albums. I am so proud of my association with the John Klein release and as I have said before, the remastering by Mike Piacentini is truly fantastic sounding. The RCA Victor Living Stereo releases were so iconic and almost always had amazing sound on their early albums. I really love Andre Kostelanetz's second holiday album, The Wonderland Of Christmas, one of the greatest Christmas instrumental albums of all time.

I will have to order that 100 Christmas Masterworks CD as well. Thanks for pointing that one out to us, Brian, as it was under my radar. I like the CD cover as well as it looks striking. Looks like a great price too for all you get in the collection.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Brian Mc likes this.
  25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh man, this artist slipped past me as well. What a sweet and angelic voice. I am getting this on order right away. Thanks again, Brian, for the heads up!

Brian Mc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.