What New Christmas Albums Are Coming Out This Year?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fannymac, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

It is so hard to come up with a fresh new angle on music the purists only want in the manner in which they grew up. You're dinged for being too conventional, you're ignored if it looks too out there to give to Mom next to her Susan Boyle album, and it takes a lot of mainstream cred to generate any interest on a holiday-themed album you can get into an aisle-cap in Target.

I haven't been interested in a big-band/orchestra-oriented Xmas disc since Mancini's from the late '60s. But I loved Patrick Williams' stuff, and that's definitely on my order before turkey time.

But I've been peeking around the fringes for unusual discoveries for years, and I may just be totally out of room for more now that I'm retired...unless my heart grows three sizes. I looked at the three boxes I have, and just wonder, "who is all this for? The Goodwill store?". As always though, the album that's gonna cut through that, isn't the well-known artist, or yet another well-meaning Nashville resident who wants us to know Christmas is for family, and what the reason for the season is, or somebody who wants to make their mark being "Mr. Christmas"...it's gonna be some left-fielder who brings something fresh to the holiday.

2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

A very interesting post. I think that if your looking for something very unique and slightly left of center, you just might want to check out the John Klein A Christmas Sound Spectacular twofer as there was never anything quite like it before or since in my opinion. I remember people would come to our house around the holiday for a party or gathering and they would ask right away about that album, whenever we would put it on the stereo. Th bells are truly amazing, but what gets me is the musicianship of the very gifted New York studio musicians and the Billy May inspired jazz arrangements on a lot of the songs. I do not think anything in your holiday collection would sound quite like this CD.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

Actually RSteven, I just listened to that a couple weeks ago, having read about the re-release here. One of the more extravagant wowsers of the era, for sure. Would fit next to Kenton's Christmas album fer sher! (EDIT - title)
    At least, unless some vault spelunker locates the masters for some unreleased Esquivel stocking-stuffer...and remixes it for Atmos-! :eek:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    RSteven likes this.
  4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

That is great to hear! I dig that Stan Kenton A Merry Christmas album as well with the great orchestral arrangements of Ralph Carmichael, better known for his iconic arrangements on Nat King Cole's iconic The Christmas Song album. That Kenton album is a hoot as well. Oh yes, indeed, I would be the first one to pick up a remaster of an Esquivel Christmas album, another great left of field choice!

5. Dillydipper

If only Dan ( Cool and Strange Music ) Countryman posted here...

6. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I've this new Monkees Christmas track

Jimi Bat likes this.
  7. Dr. Pepper

Michael Nesmith really does a wonderful job with this rarely recorded classic

Jimi Bat, oldsurferdude and RSteven like this.
  8. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Man that is pretty and I love the orchestral arrangement. Darn, I ordered the Target exclusive a long time ago and its now expected for delivery early this week I guess.

9. Dr. Pepper

I know, right? I think the song is from 1941 so it might even predate White Christmas! I don't remember ever hearing it before. It makes me yearn for a new Nesmith country/rock album.

RSteven likes this.
  10. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

I was actually getting the original Living Stereo RCA vinyl since I didn't want to chance another bad remaster (and it's cheaper), however reviews look good for that 2-fer and it won't hurt to add Anita to my collection, so it's also on its way.

RSteven likes this.
  11. Christobal and RSteven like this.
  12. Dillydipper

13. Dillydipper

Okay, stop the presses...Ingrid Michaelson's done a '40s-oriented one, complete with a real big band:

14. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks for that. I'll have to add that to my recent Christmas purchases (Mavericks, Monkees, Chet Atkins (older CD).
    Looks like she had a Holiday EP last year as well.

15. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Wish I had your bank account.

16. Dillydipper

Yep, that's been a couple years. She's had a divorce and lost parents since then, and it really socked her career right in the gut. But she's still got great support in the indie(-"pop"?) world, and maybe this brings her momentum back. She's got a voice tailor-made for a super-retro project like this.

stereoptic and RSteven like this.
  17. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh wow, Here is another one off my radar. I thought the album cover looked cool, but I am usually very leery of all original Christmas albums as I can only count on one or two being great in my whole collection of over 300 holiday albums (June Christy's This Time Of The Year being an all time favorite), but this retro rock 'n' roll artist sounds fantastic and the songs and musicianship are splendid too on the samples. Any guy that counts Buddy Holly and Fats Domino as major influences is good enough for me. Oh my, and he sprang from Tulsa, Oklahoma, where both my parents sprang from before they worked their way to Southern California.Thanks for pointing this one out too!

Christobal and PhantomStranger like this.
  18. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

19. Dillydipper

Interesting that Bear Family would delve into the Christmas catalogs, considering how many can't "bear family" over the holidays as it is....;)

Greenalishi, Lewisboogie and RSteven like this.
  20. C. Ratliff

C. Ratliff Well-Known Member

I am ordering that Bear Family compilation immediately-- one of the strangest XMAS CDs I own is their collection of 27 different versions of Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer (plus 3 Rudolph spin-off/sequel songs). I once performed a bit in a holiday Comedy show where I made a mix of all 27 of them and made the audience listen to them all at once.

I'm a sucker for new holiday music, and in recent years Record Store Day Black Friday has been getting increasingly dangerous-- this year, the soundtrack for Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas is one of the titles that is gonna force me to get in line early the morning after Thanksgiving.

I hope you will forgive my shameless self-promotion, but it seems like maybe this would be the thread to mention such a thing: *I* have a XMAS record coming out on "Secular Red" vinyl from State Champion Records this month, a limited edition 12" collection of holiday songs I did with New Jersey singer/songwriter Mikey Erg called The Spirit Of Ratliff. Side A is our XMAS songs and Side B contains our "anti-Summer anthems."

It has songs about pizza, being agnostic but still loving Secular XMAS, and even a song about how people should leave up any non-holiday specific wintertime decorations for the month of January so the month will be less depressing. Just on the off-chance that someone out there checking out this thread might be looking to order a new XMAS LP that is weird and a little off the beaten path.

The first 100 pre-orders come with a specially designed set of Shrinky Dinks that were drawn by me which you can turn into XMAS tree ornaments. But I think there may only be a handful of those left!

The Spirit of Ratliff, by Connor Ratliff & Mikey Erg [​IMG]

21. Bear Family outdid themselves with the included booklet for this CD release. It's one of the nicest and thickest booklets ever included with a standard jewel case. Beautiful graphics and design, including vintage Christmas art from the period. Highly recommended for Christmas music lovers.

Lewisboogie, Brian Mc and RSteven like this.
  22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh gosh, you aren't kidding! The booklet has like 24 pages with gorgeous art work and pictures. What a great package by Bear Family once again.

23. omnisonic

omnisonic Forum Resident

The Beach Boys Christmas Reunion

[​IMG]

...wait, no...that's not right

24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I am really digging this album so far. It is a real throwback to the Golden Age of Christmas and the string and brass arrangements are really nice. I was not really familiar with Ingrid's work before this album, but after reading her interview in Billboard Magazine, you realize Christmas was very important to her growing up, and this holiday album is no quick cash grab on her part, but a project that was near and dear to her heart.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    PhantomStranger likes this.
  25. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I love JD but I didn't care for this album.

Maybe I was in a Grinch-y mood?

Will re-visit it this week.

RSteven likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.