What next from the Zappa Vault?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MrBitey, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Hot Rats P/O - besides all the known tracks/variations, I'm hoping there are a few extra "Willie The Pimp"s in there somewhere
    Bongo Fury - full show, I mean c'mon!
    Rage & The Fury

bicyclops and StrungOutOnStrings like this.
  2. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Paris 1980

My favourite from that tour

Frank on Les Paul......just burning down the house!!!

Check it out on youtube

3. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

In a warped way, I love an expanded Thing Fish set

4. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Agreed, those edits are a nightmare

vudicus likes this.
  5. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Oh, I'd love it. I just don't think it's highly requested or on their list of priorities.

PIGGIES likes this.
  6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Did Frank record all of his rehearsals? I know there are files floating around the interwebs of 1988 band rehearsals. I probably have a few on a hard drive somewhere. It might be interesting to hear Frank whipping his bands into shape. I'm sure there are rehearsal versions of songs that never made it to the stage.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I doubt he recorded every minute, but there are some rehearsal tapes that have already been released, and probably many more in the vault.

FZ mentioned in an interview once that someone sent him a set of rehearsal videos from before the 1988 tour showing the construction of the song "Jesus Thinks You're A Jerk" that he thought could be worth releasing.

8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

From the comments section of the Alex Winter Kickstarter site:

1. [​IMG]
      Alex Winter 2-time creator about 3 hours ago

@ARTY CAJUN (T. Trahan): hi there. Sorry for the confusion. The address checks are something Kickstarter does regularly as the reward process is ongoing. The digital vault pass is digital, not physical, just to clear that up :) They're almost done and will be rolling out by end of March. Thanks for your patience!

ceddy10165 likes this.
  9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Frank's method of composing often involved borrowing bits and pieces of improv from rehearsals. So yeah it would be cool to hear that happen in real time.

10. A Chalk Pie and Crush All Boxes set would be nice.

ceddy10165, gd0, PIGGIES and 2 others like this.
  11. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Oh man... How could I forget?

Hi-rez surround disc of Civilization Phase III!!!

Then I can die a happy man. :agree:

ceddy10165 and gd0 like this.
  12. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident Thread Starter

There certainly is a lot of enticing stuff in that vault, eh! I hope we don't have to wait too long for the next release!!

13. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Things have certainly gathered speed in this regard :)

14. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

I think I have a bootleg DVD of that concert. Great band apart from David Logeman on drums imo. Not an easy job to replace Colaiuta on what I gather was short notice and he did a decent job under the circumstances. But I cannot listen to many minutes of that dreadful drum sound and competent but bland drumming before turning it off. Always makes YAWYI a hard listen for me.

I'd like as much of the 88 stuff as possible. This year marks the 30th anniversary of that tour. I'd probably buy every single concert of that tour if they release them.

Jeff Kent likes this.
  15. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

It is a very bland drum sound

16. perryrhodan

perryrhodan New Member

I hope for the London shows in 1979 and the Sheik show 1978.

Timothy Fiacco likes this.
  17. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

18. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Get everything oop back in print - all Honker Home Videos (including bickford), Lather. Release FZs existing quad mixes. More Project/object collections. Complete Yellow Shark with video/surround. Hot Rats box with surround mix. Halloween usb on Cd. Complete Zappa in New York shows. Complete orchestral works box.

SOONERFAN and CraigVC like this.
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

20. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Oh, goodie. Another Halloween costume box with a USB stick. I absolutely love the music from the last Halloween box but the box itself remains hidden out of sight in a cabinet at home. Such a homely looking thing. :sigh:

21. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Yeah, Ahmet's turning into Mr One Idea :sigh:

22. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Yeah, 1978 would be my first choice. I wonder how much video may exist from the 1970s Halloween shows. I'm pretty sure I recall that one of those kickstarter videos showed a little bit of the Halloween '74 show. It he nice if they included some video for the next box set.

23. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Quad material please. Pretty please...

24. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

A Halloween 1978 box would be awesome, but it might be a bit of a chore for them to put together since some of the multi-tracks were sliced up.

25. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I just received an email from the Kickstarter campaign, letting me know the Zappa Digital Vault is finally available!

A nice little collection of audio and video now available for backers to listen to and watch, as a perk of contributing to the campaign at a certain level.

ceddy10165 and mcchocchoc like this.