What next from the Zappa Vault?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MrBitey, Feb 13, 2018.

1. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Fantastic! I just got the 2 emails, will log in and dl later today.
    This is the perk I've been waiting for. I hope it's some great stuff.

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Crush All Chalk Pies"! :goodie: "...The Musical!" :goodie:

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Howabout some real fence-mending, with ZFT-sanctioned meetups between various members of their ****-list, done as open-ended podcasts. Travers and Chrislu. Ex-Mothers with Ex-Grandmothers. Ahmet and Dweeze, debating with well-reasoned points of view, trying not to p*ss each other off, just state their cases, with a Cavette-like moderator, towing them back out of the mud. Howabout putting Alex Winter up with other self-starting musical pioneering valutizementers, such as Fripp, the Hendrix Estate, or Helen Reddy ("-what? She's not...? OH; then..."). The notion of giving the floor over to some even-tempered, contrary opinions might help ZFT gain a little respect where desperately needed.

Also - a line of designer cream cheese, in Blueberry, Honey...and Suzie ("the Mystery Brick").

4. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I watched Roxy again in 5.1. I really want adventurous 5.1 catalog mixes of his music that match the sophistication and imagination of the music. As a Steven Wilson remix fan, Zappa might just be the perfect subject for his approach.

5. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Another vault release please. Halloween 78 would work for me. I'm ready to give you my money

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. JayB

JayB Senior Member

THIS would be awesome as well!

7. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...when at some point we get a Hot Rats Project/Object I would like to see some additional photos used from the same shoot. I dig these shots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@Vaultmeister ;):thumbsup:

8. Anything in the vault from 1970 to 1976, especially:
    1) Bongo Fury 1975 Tour - we need an official full concert release from this tour, possibly a box set with 1 or 2 full concerts, and unique performances from various other shows from the April/May Tour.
    2) Australia 1973 Tour
    3) Grand & Petite Wazoo 1972 Tour

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Burnt Weasel Sandwich--let's get that late 60's period really covered, especially studio

SquaRoots and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  10. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Joe has confirmed another Halloween release. 1978 would be fantastic. THE BIG ONE would be amazing.

warewolf95 likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I like franks weird messing around with his concert videos, but i want more stuff like roxy the movie. I like watching straight concerts and the roxy movie is awesome ... a bongo fury concert, a vai era concert, a flo and eddie concert.
    Perhaps re-edit some of the weirded out videos to have just concert footage ....
    Anyway, that would be my main interest.

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

FZ edited and mixed the Halloween 78 tapes for various live albums and in the process some of the multitracks were lost. Not that it wouldn't be great anyway.

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Bongo Fury would be great. Australia 1973 also would be great although they have released the Road Tapes from August 1973 which is similar. Not sure if they have more live tapes of Grand Wazoo other than the one they released. For Petit Wazoo Joe said they have released all of the material FZ mixed, but there are other tapes FZ did not use that they could release. I believe Joe has mentioned that a Waka/Wazoo studio set is in the works.

14. mcchocchoc

Lots of excellent suggestions in here already . . .

I want any and all Zappa, as I have been buying it all for decades now (like a lot of folks here). I'm pretty much happy with every release so far from the ZFT. I hope Ahmet keeps up the pace of the last few years worth of releases. We got a lot of great stuff.

That said, I want whatever Ahmet was talking about when he said he wants to release an "all things Beefheart" set.

15. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I'm for anything there as long as there's no Flo & Eddie. I can't take anymore!

showtaper likes this.
  16. Dark Horse 77

Please, yes! "All Things Beefheart" set...the mind boggles what might be hiding in the Zappa vault. Where did Ahmet talk about this?

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  17. mcchocchoc

I'm not sure if it was one of the many kickstarter updates or a zappacast or some other interview. He did claim that.
    Due to my obession with both Frank and Don's music I watch, listen to and read all the Ahmet interviews I can find. If I remember exactly where or come across it again I'll post where....

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  18. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

:(

Surely they could do something with soundboards if they have 'em (assuming they don't sound bad).

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They have released a lot of Flo and Eddie shows so maybe there won't be another one soon. That said, a release of the full Fillmore East 71 shows or the complete (as much as possible) Rainbow Theatre could be interesting.

20. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Well, the Chicago 78 show was recorded in three formats...so they possibly have even more sources for the NYC shows. I think they're just missing some bits and pieces that were sliced out and discarded in the process of editing the 24-tracks. So far they have done an excellent job filling in tape changes, so this might be a similar situation.

warewolf95 likes this.
  21. Dark Horse 77

Please do. I share your obsession (and good taste).

mcchocchoc likes this.
  22. warewolf95

Hell, they could release The Big One as-is from the excellent AUD recording for all I care. It sounds exactly like you are sitting in the crowd and it's perfect. :)

23. WonkyWilly

The mutli-tracks sound great though. If they are too sliced up, I'd settle for a "best of the run" type release.

NYC '78 and London '79 are the best sounding live recordings that Zappa did IMO.

warewolf95 likes this.
  24. warewolf95

I'd love a proper release of that NYC/London album that was never released.

Instant Dharma and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  25. WonkyWilly

Between TR, YCDTOSA and the "1981 Radio Show" that was released in mp3 to vault contributors, we actually have a good chunk of the album now, just scattered about.

mcchocchoc and warewolf95 like this.