What old album have you recently listened to for the first time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stephen J, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I bought this on Japanese vinyl recently.

danasgoodstuff and m4murder like this.
  2. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Keith Jarrett: The Koln Concert
    Brian Eno: Music For Airports

Jimbo912, sjaca, 4_everyman and 2 others like this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Rolling Stones ~ Steel Wheels

Didn't hate it.

Fullbug and driverdrummer like this.
  4. Jump Cut

Jump Cut Forum Resident

Thanks to Amazon Prime I gave Elvis Costello's My Aim Is True a shot. I came away very impressed. I really liked the overall flow of the album. I did a quick search and found out it's a recommended album of the 70's. I plan on buying this one on my next trip to Rasputins.

danasgoodstuff and Gaslight like this.
  5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Lou Reed ~ (self titled)

Can't say I'm impressed. Luckily most of the songs were later released as 'lost' Velvet Underground versions which are vastly superior to this.

Fullbug likes this.
  6. dalem5467

dalem5467 Forum Resident

This one, and I'm glad I did.

[​IMG]

7. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

I just recently realized there was a record inside...

[​IMG]

J/K :))

8. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

T2 - It'll All Work Out in Boomland.

Ditched my vinyl about 12 years ago but only just replaced this one on CD. Still a great album and the extra tracks are great too. Rushed out and bought the two further archive releases immediately.

9. Rain Parade - Emergency Third Rail Power Trip
    Some of the songs were really great. Some of the others sounded dated. Overall a great sounding record from the early 80s

Urban Spaceman likes this.
  10. Schmidlapper

Schmidlapper Forum Resident

CD version likely, from Apple Music, but I also have the LP as well, wasn't aware there was a difference so I will check it out on LP as well. Thanks.

11. Schmidlapper

Schmidlapper Forum Resident

Didn't know but do now, I have a early version on LP, will investigate. Thanks.

12. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

It's a mixed bag, some of the arrangements work pretty good, considering the circumstances (a pop album, stacked with session musicians to relaunch his career).

Some of the Velvets versions of the songs are nowhere near finished (eg 'Love makes you feel' from the Loaded sessions). Would've been nice if he'd recorded those songs in the studio with a rough-and-ready band like the Tots (his touring band 1972-3) though.

Mylene likes this.
  13. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I have been on the fence about Emotional Rescue due to many of the comments I have heard about it. The same with Undercover. I was thinking about holding off on those for a little while but I may decide to give them a try.

Slice likes this.
  14. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Sad to say, missed that, too.
    Same thing happened to me with Love's Forever Changes. Oh man, when I think about the opportunities I had to see Arthur and the spectacular band he toured with when they played the entire album. Guts me. Ah well, can't see everything, and thank God for YouTube.

Love,
    Billy

15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Side two was much better ( I was listening to it for the first time when I wrote that post) No girlies but the band still complicated most of the songs which should have been a lot sparcer. A sympathetic producer could have ironed out some of the bumps.

16. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

yes. I always associated her with cheesy films that other people's parents presumably watched. But Ms. Day was really a singer, and she could really sing. I got into her music in a very roundabout way, hearing John Updike, my favorite author from the 20th Century, quoted as being a big admirer of hers along with the more expected references to both Bach and some 30's Americana. Doris Day is great stuff.

Vinylfindco likes this.
  17. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

The first two are among my top favorites all time. And the third is great also. Great to hear these awesome albums are still getting new fans.

bluesky and andrewskyDE like this.
  18. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Lots of things. This is one of the most recent.

[​IMG]

Guy E, sjaca and jeffrey walsh like this.
  19. Mase

Mase Active Member

Lucifer's Friend-first album. That Ride the Sky is a fine tune!!!
    & the first 5 CAN albums. GREAT STUFF!!!!

20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

This was a first listen for me recently. Been attempting to sample old hip hop from the 1990's when time permits.

[​IMG]

21. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It really sounds like you have heard this album before.

22. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I have had a copy of Barnstorm [DSX50130] sitting on a stack of records I picked up that I haven't had a chance to clean up and integrate into the collection. Probably been sitting for 3x months.

Put it on this morning for the 1st time and have been very happily surprised that it is not at all what I expected. I'm going to keep this on rotation for a while before filing it away.

Side A has more surface noise than I love for headphone playback but all in all a good find for about $1. :targettiphat:

23. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There....

Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark

JCLSDL, Scope J, sjaca and 3 others like this.
  24. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

After I'd bought the Original Classic Albums late last year: There's a Riot Goin' On - Sly and the Family Stone.

25. BigDanT

BigDanT Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Saw this recommended on the debut album thread so I bought and yes its brilliant, gonna get some more of their albums now

bluesky, RobRoyF, sekaer and 4 others like this.