What old TV shows have you been watching lately?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jul 2, 2020.

1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I think The Beverley Hillbillies stands up okay to watching now, but I tried the Flying Nun and wondered how I ever liked that show as a kid. Sometimes it's best to leave some things in the past I guess.

I had the pilot episode of the '70s British detective show Van Der Valk, and as my Mom likes police detective shows including old ones like the 87th Precinct, I thought it might be something she'd enjoy, but she found it ludicrous and bad. This show was hailed at the time as having realism and grit. So much for that one. I'm not sure I should offer her even the '70s colour Z-Cars I have... I like that show all the way back to the 1962 episodes but perhaps it's just dated now?

2. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Family Ties and Wings on Pluto

3. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

Barnaby Jones (seasons 1 - 8)

4. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

I see MY THREE SONS because it's 's on before TOON IN WITH ME on MeTV. Tina Cole had said in an interview that she was a member of the King Family(the obvious nepotism annoyed me when I was a kid), so I looked her up to figure out what her relation was, and she was a daughter of one of the original King Sisters. OK, enough of that. It's interesting seeing veteran actors like Douglas Fowley(looking astonishingly young)and Leon Ames, and I love "Uncle Charley"(William Demerest). I remember MAD parodying the growth of the cast from "Three Sons" to a giant extended Family!

MikeInFla likes this.
  5. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Right now my rotation is The Dakotas, season 3 Lou Grant, season 4 LA Law and sprinkling in short run series like Joe and Sons, Grandpa Goes to Washington and Flying High.

6. larryk

larryk Senior Member

You are correct! I coulda sworn I read that somewhere. Thanks for the correction.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

8. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I probably watched a few of these when they were originally on, but if I did, I have no recollection of it... That said, how would you say the 80s incarnation of "TZ" compares to the original 50s/60s series?

Michael likes this.
  9. Michael

it doesn't...but, it's not supposed to...nothing can equal or replace the original run IMO...I enjoyed the 90's version as well...very much to the chagrin of the critics and many internet cattle trashed it...some great stories like the remake of Billy Mumy's role as Anthony in "It's A Good Life" PLAYED by Bill's daughter she plays his part...it is awesome!!!

MikeInFla and Grand_Ennui like this.
  10. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

If a show from ‘02/'03 is considered old, then Hikaru no Go....

Hikaru no Go

Ostensibly about a Japanese board game, it is really about the passion for excellence, and how it fires up the life of a somewhat ordinary schoolboy. Oh, and there's a ghost.

11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

THE FUGITIVE - an early episode called "Ticket To Alaska" with John Larkin, Tim O'Connor, David White, and Geraldine Brooks

[​IMG]

Scowl, jason88cubs and rockclassics like this.
  12. Michael

still enjoying the 80's Twilight Zone! Damn the dvds look like crap!

MikeInFla likes this.
  13. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

bad picture quality?

Michael likes this.
  14. Michael

yea, it's far from pristine but watchable...but it didn't look this bad when it originally ran back in the 80's...or I may be too fussy or spoiled...some episodes look better than others....now the 90's Season 1 TZ DVDs are widescreen anamorphic and they look better than the 80's DVDs...but still not great...but again very watchable...

15. Django

Django Forum Resident

Thriller

[​IMG]

beccabear67 likes this.
  16. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Back in the 80s, we were all watching it on CRT televisions of rarely larger than 25 inch screens. The new TWILIGHT ZONE was one of the first to be started on film, but finished in the video realm. Video processing was used for the titles and credits and most of the special effects used in the series. The video processing means that unless you're watching it on a CRT with 525 lines where it can look passable, the show will never look good on today's high definition televisions.

So, with most shows from the later 80s through the 90s, videotape processing will doom those shows to looking bad.

Rachael Bee likes this.
  17. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Six Million Dollar Man on COZI TV

Currently watching the episode "The Golden Pharaoh", featuring Farrah Fawcett Majors.

18. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

19. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Really enjoyed Six Million Dollar Man back when it was first airing. Love Farrah Fawcett. :love:
    [​IMG]

20. Michael

Thanks Harry...exactly....bad as they are we are really enjoying them!

21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I think I have a unique memory of Six Million Dollar Man on this forum. Growing up in Hong Kong during the mid 70s, Six Million Dollar Man was dubbed in Cantonese and Steve Austin was known by a phonetic version of his last name. Love the show no matter what the language it was in. I still have a Steve Austin action figure somewhere in the garage.

Mmmm....Farrah Fawcett....she's the inspiration for the song "Midnight Train To Georgia".

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  22. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

......and an Angel
    [​IMG]

MikeInFla likes this.
  23. James Slattery

Which is what I watch on so I'm good.

24. James Slattery

Just picked up a bootleg set of Family that someone recorded off a streaming service. The episodes appear complete, unlike the early 80s 44 minute barter syndication run or the 46 minute Decades episodes. But the big problem is they are in a fake widescreen with the tops and bottoms of the picture cut off.

25. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I've been watching "Bonanza" and "The Young Riders".

steelinYaThighs likes this.