What old TV shows have you been watching lately?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Roland Stoves

Roland Stoves 3.9% Neanderthal

Sea Hunt. Mike Nelson keeps landlubbers safe from the horrors of the depths. Next up: Highway Patrol.

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Gavin MacLeod -- a veteran TV actor, famous for roles on "The Love Boat" and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" -- has died ... TMZ has learned.

NickySee likes this.
  3. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

To honor him, I'll do the TV ritual I had when Love Boat was originally on. Watch Love Boat first at 9, then Fantasy Island at 10.

Ms. Daisy, bmasters9 and shokhead like this.
  4. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Sad to hear. Always like him on the MTM show. Here's (Murray Can't Lose) a streamer of one the best eps where Gavin's featured.
    R.I.P.

MerseyBeatle and shokhead like this.
  5. mikee

mikee Forum Resident

Home Run Derby! The 1960 series filmed in South Central Los Angeles at the old L.A. Wrigley Field. Early reality TV. It was popular but plans to continue the show were cancelled when the producer and host Mark Scott died in July 1960. Willie Mays had the most wins (6) and Mickey Mantle the most HR's. However no player went undefeated. I really enjoy the players conversations with the host while their opponent is hitting. I loved watching Hank Aaron hit. He was so relaxed and in balance. With his passing the only surviving participants now are Willie Mays and Rocky Colavito. Most or all of the episodes now are on Youtube. As Mark Scott would often say "It's a Home Run or nothing here on Home Run Derby!"

JWew and bmasters9 like this.
  6. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Starting Season 1 on DVD tonight. I wonder who came up with Falk’s characterization - I suppose the writers; his awkward “backtracking” was obviously written in the script, but Falk makes it appear so spontaneous it’s hard to believe it was ALL written beforehand. :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    changeling69 and MerseyBeatle like this.
  7. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I've been watching the Johnny Carson and Dave Letterman episodes with Charles Grodin. Funny!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  8. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

changeling69 likes this.
  9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I have noticed several of the networks that show old shows run blocks of a single show or a single show on a specific day of the week. The networks I am referencing are Ion, CrimeTV, Charge, and Laff.

I guess they are trying to capitalize on people who binge watch shows. But OTOH I would think the numbers of viewers drop since people would tune out on that day or time period if they don’t like she show.

Thoughts about this?

10. nifticus

nifticus Forum Resident

11. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

The set included the first two pilot episodes (wonder why they made 2), the first of which, Prescription Murder, is rather formulaic and simply too long (imo).

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    And, unless you have a thing for Gene Barry, the length does not warrant the extended post-mortem cat-and-mouse game between he and Falk. Too bad Nina Foch was the one to get bumped off. Her presence almost always brightened any scenario. It has a definite Alfred Hitchcock Hour feel, which drops away as Columbo becomes less confrontational and more canny in his interactions with suspects. Must say, the series looks fantastic. Even the 70s fashions, which usually have a somewhat ridiculously kitsch quality, have a real glamour to them. Streamer

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  12. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

I have two of the three volumes on DVD, and they are very much worth the money.

13. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I'm not crazy about these stations doing that, but they must have some market research that suggests it increases ratings. I like to watch old shows, but I don't think that they don't lend themselves to binge-watching.

TimM and rockclassics like this.
  14. shokhead

Are The Real McCoys shown anywhere on tv?

15. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

It is on Amazon Prime. Not sure about elsewhere.

shokhead likes this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

enjoying Friday the 13th TV show on DVD...damn they look crappy, but we love the show.

bmasters9 likes this.
  17. Michael

well can't you just get a analog Tube TV?

18. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Same way I feel about M Squad from the 50s (which I have on DVD)!

changeling69 and Michael like this.
  19. Michael

always better than nothing in my book and my wife feels the same.

changeling69 and bmasters9 like this.
  20. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

I take it that so long as we enjoy the show, picture quality doesn't matter (I may be incorrect).

Michael likes this.
  21. shokhead

I remember back in the day when I had on tv and there was a pretty good show on called The Professionals. Anybody remember?

22. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

The Archies Show :)

23. Michael

you took it right...if that's all that's available...absolutely positively for sure...right now we're watching the TV series Friday The 13th...PQ is is terrible, but we are enjoying it very much...of course I'd love to watch it pristine condition...but it's not going to happen...

bmasters9 likes this.
  24. TheNightfly1982

TheNightfly1982 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Really enjoying this series and patiently waiting for the Blu-ray release this October. Darren McGavin makes this show work.

unclefred and Michael like this.
  25. Michael

later...[​IMG]

bmasters9 and changeling69 like this.