What old TV shows have you been watching lately?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jul 2, 2020.

1. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

I bought it off the net.

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This was an ABC series, from back in the day when we only had one channel in town growing up. The CBS affiliate had carte blanche to run anything they could buy from NBC or ABC (DuMont was about as dead as a doornail by that time). We were a small market, most of the Indianapolis affiliates would only come in on a good day. I'd only read about it in TV Guide. Years later we got first an NBC affiliate (which would get a shot at bidding against the CBS station for ABC programming, but didn't run much of it. ABC had the sort of shows kids my age might want to see, but if I didn't go to my grandmothers' and have access to the antenna rotor, I'd never see them.

Even the title intrigued me.

Uncle Meat likes this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Just found Season 1 on The Tube. Might give it a go, myself.

[​IMG]
    "He calls himself 'Michael Alden,' but says that this is not his name. He claims not to know his real name, nor who he is, nor anything that happened to him up until two months ago. Tonight we explore the mystery that is amnesia—the loss of a person's memory, and with it, the loss of his humanity as well. I'm Walter Cronkite, and this is The 21st Century."
    :laugh:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    team2 likes this.
  5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

CORONET BLUE is available on DVD from Kino Lorber. Prints are pretty good - I think the YouTube version is just someone's rip of the DVDs. Amazon has it for $29.99.

[​IMG]

The series aired on CBS in the summer of 1967, after a near two-year delay. It was supposed to air in the fall of 1965, but ended up on the shelf for varying reasons, with 13 episodes produced. Somewhat advantageous for CBS was the fact that they had it filmed in color, during a time of changeover at the network from black & white to color. By April of 1967, all primetime shows had been in color, so when they ran it that summer, it was a bit of a bonus that it was all in color.

I remember watching the series with my Dad. We both liked the show, and it was sort of a younger version of THE FUGITIVE, which itself was playing off its reruns from its color season, just before its finale. I never expected CORONET BLUE to ever show up on DVD, but was thrilled when it did.

NickySee, unclefred, team2 and 2 others like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Columbo.

7. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Original "Lost In Space"

That first season, with it's insane art direction, is so delightfully weird.

robargebl, Grand_Ennui and MikeInFla like this.
  8. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

9. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

L.A. Law

steelydanguy likes this.
  10. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

This is never far from my screen... I like some of the other ST series, particularly Enterprise with Scott Bakula and have grown to enjoy Voyager, which I didn't like during its initial run... never liked New Generation and DS9 I can take or leave... the thing that strikes me about the original series as I went through the three boxes this summer, though, is - cheesy production values aside - the writing is so much better than any of its offspring... the stories, themes, plots and insights offered far outstrip any of the other ST series in my opinion... I find the writing as fresh today as I did watching them in reruns as a pre-teen in the '70s... truth be told, I was a Star Wars kid at the time and preferred that franchise... now I much prefer the original ST...

team2 likes this.
  11. Kaskade10729

I hear ya, brother; seems I may be a bit younger than you because I was born in 73...so I discovered the old Trek episodes via reruns on a public access channel we used to get in New York from Wilks Barre, Pennsylvania (in the States) around the mid-80s. All through high school I got into these episodes and taped them off this channel, and made friends with other Trek geeks in school.

I never cared for any of the spinoffs following The Next Generation -- and I was only able to stomach some of the episodes from that show. However, I don't mind the feature films starring the cast/crew all that much, and often watch them as part of the Star Trek Motion Pictures DVD Collection box set I have (so they would be films like Generations, First Contact, Nemesis).

YardByrd likes this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

13. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

I'm watching Dark Shadows. I've managed to get to Episode 80 so far - about a thousand left. See you in a year or so.

HGN2001, bmasters9 and Alan G. like this.
  14. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Was reading about a show I had completely forgotten about, Oh, Susanna

Alan G. likes this.
  15. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Great show! I, too, never thought it would come out on DVD, but it finally did in a perfect set. Pretty cool you remember the original screening. I was born a few years later, so I never heard of it until reading the summary in a TV history book in 1990. After that, I always wanted to check the show out.

16. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Wow, so did I. Haven’t seen that since the ‘50s. Gale Storm’s OTHER show. First time I remember seeing ZaSu Pitts in anything. I thought she was hilarious.

shokhead likes this.
  17. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

There's a channel on the cable system I have that runs an episode every day (actually every night, sometime in the middle of the night - I PVR them). The finale to the series was in two parts. The last time round the first episode of the finale was broadcast as static. When I went to watch it I was furious. Luckily, the station immediately started airing them again from episode 1. I had to wait through the entire series. This past week the finale finally was shown again - complete with an in-tact part 1.

18. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Hawaii Five - 0 - the original series. Much better than the present day remake. I was fearful that it might not age well. Turns out I was worried for nothing - surprisingly good plots and acting. Jack Lord's screen presence is amazing. And great scenery.

19. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Recently I tried to start watching 'The Office' (USA) re-runs, but couldn't stand it. When it originally aired I thought the show was hilarious and didn't miss an episode. Now, I find it (except for Dwight) unbearably annoying.

20. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I vaguely remember that as a kid, it may have been reruns though.

RickH likes this.
  21. Kaskade10729

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NickySee likes this.
  22. TheNightfly1982

TheNightfly1982 Forum Resident

The original Five-O was very much ahead of its time. The Season Three episode “Trouble in Mind” guest starring jazz singer Nancy Wilson, is just one example of how the Jack Lord series pushed the boundaries of early 1970’s network television.

23. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Good enough. Writing is a bit all over the place; crazy scenarios, which I guess is part of its charm. Nice New York '67 location shots.

24. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    House of Cards (2013-2018)
    First time going through the series. Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright and Beau Willimon talk a bit about the show above.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  25. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

In Search of... (bought the dvd set a number of years ago - so good!)

Also been watching my old bootleg set of Battle of the Network Stars (would love for a legit boxset of those to come out, but highly doubt it ever will).
    Howard Cosell is unintentionally hilarious treating every competition as a true sporting spectacle.

Grand_Ennui likes this.