What old TV shows have you been watching lately?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jul 2, 2020.

1. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

Nice! Back during lockdown in 2020, I came up with an interesting idea: Since a bunch of my favorite old TV shows from the '60s are on Amazon Prime, and since Wikipedia has complete episode listings for them including the original broadcast dates, I took the episode lists and merged and sorted them in chronological order, resulting in a list of what was playing each night, like this:

1967.03.08 I Spy 2-24 Blackout
    1967.03.09 Star Trek 1-25 The Devil in the Dark
    1967.03.10 Man from UNCLE 3-25 The Hot Number Affair
    1967.03.10 Wild Wild West 2-24 The Night of the Colonel's Ghost
    1967.03.11 Avengers 5-09 The Correct Way to Kill
    1967.03.11 Forsyte Saga 1-10
    1967.03.11 Get Smart 2-25 How to Succeed in the Spy Business Without Really Trying
    1967.03.14 Girl from UNCLE 1-25 The Phi Beta Killer Affair

and then I started watching from the beginning, seeing the episodes in the order that you would have seen them on TV in the '60s (well, assuming you were in two places at once, since I used US network schedules for American shows and ATV Midlands for UK shows). I started in 1960 with the first episode of Danger Man and made it up to October 1967 before I got tired of it. Every so often I watch a few more episodes, so eventually I'll probably get to the end of my list, which is the final episode of Mission: Impossible in 1973.

For The Wild Wild West and The Forsyte Saga, I had to buy DVD boxed sets, because I couldn't find them on any of the streaming services; and for I Spy, I must admit that the only recourse I could find was to download YouTube videos (which have since been deleted) that look like they came from VHS tapes.

2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

We started The Sopranos from the beginning yesterday. My wife missed the last two seasons when it aired, and I had only seen a few random episodes at a friend’s house (I did not have HBO at the time). We’re 4 or 5 episodes in. Pretty good so far.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

All I can say is "Wow!". Last night, I scrolled through the listings on Pluto-TV and at 10 PM, I saw GUNSMOKE starting. The episode was titled "The Gallows". I'm not much of a western fan, but have seen a small percentage of GUNSMOKE episodes in my life. My Dad watched it all the time, and though I usually fell asleep during those original 10 PM Saturday showings, occasionally I saw a full episode. Still, over the years, I can't say I recall the plots of any of the episodes. Anyway, an episode titled "The Gallows", sounded at least somewhat interesting.

As used to happen back then, I managed to doze off somewhere midway through the episode. But these days that's not a problem as I can stream the rest of the episodes any time I want through Paramount+, or even Pluto if I don't mind commercials. So today I finished off the episode, and I have to just say "Wow!". This was, bar none, one of the finest hours of television I've seen. A fabulous script and story mixed with some great acting made for a very memorable hour. It's one that will stay with me for a long time.

Pluto is free with commercials: Pluto TV - Gunsmoke | The Gallows

Or you can find it on Paramount+. It's in the first year of hour-long episodes, still in black & white. Season 7, episode 22

4. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Sometimes the Rockford Files is the best thing on TV.

5. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

My wife and I started rewatching Daria. Man, I miss the 90's, back when cynicism was funny and people could laugh at themselves.

6. George P

George P Notable Member

Gonna get started on The Shield soon. Too much good buzz around here for me to leave it alone.

MikaelaArsenault and Juan Matus like this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

Enjoying this.

8. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin

MikaelaArsenault and John B Good like this.
  9. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm so sorry I sold that set. Everytime I see huge tractor trailers on our nearby streets I think, Grot on wheels.

10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Think I posted this on a similar thread, sorry if its repetitious.

"Watching House of Cards (the British series) on DVD. Gripping, and Shakespearian, if somewhat paranoia inducing."

11. I, Claudius (1976).

Watched Rome (2005) after actor Ray Stephenson died.
    Hadn't watched it since.
    Still holds up, excellent show.
    So, thought I, Claudius would follow on nicely.

12. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I just ordered the `Mayberry RFD Complete Series' on DVD. I'd prefer
    to stream it, but.....

MikaelaArsenault and MikeInFla like this.
  13. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Forum Resident

Just finished all of NYPD Blue.
    Now watching Season 2 of The West Wing.

14. Tim Peterson

Tim Peterson Forum Resident

Dangerous. x foles

15. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I had no idea that Ally Sheedy had a guest appearance in season three as a very flirtatious student. I can see how that helped get her cast in War Games.

MikaelaArsenault and thgord like this.
  16. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Friday Night Lights

Never watched it when it was originally broadcast. My daughter and wife started watching it and I watched an episode with them and got hooked. I had to go back and start at the beginning.

MikaelaArsenault and Scowl like this.
  17. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Coming from a dreary town with 24% unemployment and an obsession with high school football, I couldn't believe how realistic this show was. The writers admitted that they had cranked the drama too far in the beginning of season two but it didn't help the ratings so they turned it back down.

MikaelaArsenault and unclefred like this.
  18. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I forgot to point out that when her character entered Detective LaRue's stake out van, she flirtatiously asked what all the electronic stuff is... just like when her character in War Games went into David's room and flirtatiously asked what his computer was. The scenes are very similar.

19. ledzepfan63

ledzepfan63 Forum Resident

ncis new orleans

20. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Rockford Files

21. Timothy Aborn

Timothy Aborn Forum Resident

The Fugitive with David Janssen.

22. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

NYPD Blue. On season 3.

23. Eric Richard

Eric Richard Forum Resident

Ozzie and Harriet, The Untouchables, and 30 Rock.

MikaelaArsenault and shokhead like this.
  24. I’ve been watching season 1 of both Quincy M.E. And Barnaby Jones. Both are far more entertaining than I expected. Neither are at the levels of, say, Colombo or Rockford Files but I’m glad I’m checking them out.

Both have great location shots throughout Los Angeles too.

Scowl, MikaelaArsenault and shokhead like this.
  25. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

red skelton, the colgate hour with martin and lewis and mr and mrs north on tubi and roku . some people in today's audience may find them a bit old fashioned but I find them interesting because of my interest in old time radio.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
    MikaelaArsenault and JeffreyB like this.