What old TV shows have you been watching lately?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent "The Member" formerly known as 'Well-Known Member'

This has been one of the funniest lines of all time, on comedy tv, for me: "Luger? Luger? DO YOUR OWN DAMN WORK!"

Anyone who knows the show much at all will laugh. It is a must watch for me every time the episode comes up, S7 - E11.

RockFordGuy423 likes this.
  2. The Avengers.

Tokyo Ghost and bluearmy78 like this.
  3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Since my wife and I share a taste for horror, sci-fi, and all things bizarre (you didn't think a normal woman would marry The Pinhead, would you?!) I want to introduce her to Kolchak, which she's too young to have watched, but that would mean rewatching all the chapters myself, and I kind of have eidetic memory, so to introduce her or not; huhmmm....

4. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

My wife was very small when Kolchak was originally broadcast, so she wasn't familiar with it, but at one point the original TV movies The Night Stalker and The Night Strangler were released on a two-fer DVD, so I got that and introduced her. Later on, she watched the entire series on Amazon Prime Video. She was already into some of the weird shows her mom used to watch, like Night Gallery. I also introduced her to British shows of the '60s like The Avengers and The Prisoner.

The Pinhead and RockFordGuy423 like this.
  5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

You have terrific tastes sir!;):righton:

Arthur Dent and StingRay5 like this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Emergency!

MikeInFla likes this.
  7. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

SEASON 2 - DISC 1 - EPISODE 4

FROM

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Kaskade10729

SEASON 2 - DISC 1 - EPISODE 5

FROM

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Naked City S1

Dark Shadows

10. Jeff Yerkey

Jeff Yerkey Any Format You Like

The Larry Sanders Show (for the 4th time at least)

Calling All Stations likes this.
  11. MikaelaArsenault

12. Kaskade10729

This is considered "old"?

Man, I'm really getting old.....:hide::sigh:

13. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Rifleman and wagon Train

14. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I've learned that a new Rebus series has been made and will be on BBC this year. The actor who will play him this time is actually named Rankin.

Apparently it will be about the young Rebus. Doesn't that get done a lot!

15. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Yep! I don't even think she was alive when it originally aired so to her it's an old show. To us, we are just... Old.

16. Arthur Dent

Found a new channel I didn't know we had on Directv, 'Icons and Heros'. Setting up recordings for 'Adventures of Superman', '12 O'Clock High', 'Maverick', 'Have Gun -- Will Travel', 'Black Sheep Squadron', and 'Combat'.

Another chance to relive my childhood all over again, Ah, simple times, lol.

17. guitargal

guitargal Forum Resident

Superman

Superman turned out to be one of the old b&w shows that, imho , still holds up. Watched a two-parter where strange little men from inner space, (center of the earth ) come up to earth when an oil well invades their world. Superman has to face down an angry mob to protect them . Granted, the special effects in this series are not up to the level of Avatar, but the writing is deft and the main stars of the cast are engaging and likeable.

The fun in the show was the interplay between Lois and Clark. She always suspects him of having a double life, and he parries with her, to his amusement, and ours.
    When he ran off the premises to change into Superman, a bystander asks Lois why he disappeared like that? She says he's scared "He always runs away like that; it's pitiful!" Lmao

It's these little touches within the action parts in the script that make the show still worth watching. Just a lot of fun.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    Grey Violets, MikeInFla and shokhead like this.
  18. Arthur Dent

The episodes about beings at the center of the earth, were two of the first ones I just came across, and recorded last night. It surprised me that they appeared to have a two-parter, which would have been a little unusual for any show like this at the time. That and the subject of the show made me want to watch it. It was also a bit unusual in that they recorded the last three seasons of this show in color. Shows how popular/successful it was at the time that they could afford to.

Grey Violets and guitargal like this.
  19. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Heroes and Icons runs five Star Trek series nightly, Sunday through Friday, starting at 8 eastern.

It's a sister channel to MeTV.

Arthur Dent and MikeInFla like this.
  20. varispeed

varispeed what if?

That episode was pretty cool. I liked the darker-subject early episodes.

I think my favorite was where the crooks found out that Superman/Kent are the same person.

Quite the dilemma for the next fifteen minutes.....

coulda made for an interesting, 6-episode arc if story arcs had been a thing in 1957.

I certainly would've tuned in week after week to watch how Superman dealt with it.

Grey Violets and guitargal like this.
  21. Arthur Dent

Yes, I can finally see Voyager episodes for the first time in years. Next Gen and Deep Space air all the time but not that one. Season 1, Episode 1 airs 4/5, so I don't have to wait long to start from the beginning. Will be ignoring final series episodes until then, lol.

Another show that is not extremely old that they have is 'Numbers, which I have not seen in a long time.

22. Arthur Dent

Just watched my first 'Combat' episode in years. 'The Wounded Don't Cry', S2, E6, with guest star Leonard Nimoy, pre-Star Trek (10/22/63). Nimoy played a new replacement who spoke German, and had to translate a lot after they captured some injured German soldiers. Not too bad an episode, with plenty of German soldiers all speaking proper German. A couple of corny scenes maybe, but not bad overall. Loved watching this as a kid.

A friend of mine, who was an only child, always had a bunch of play stuff including a totally cool Thompson sub-machine cap gun. He had so much stuff that when we played war, or whatever, I usually got to use it. I had a paper route so I could afford the caps for it. I'd probably go through several rolls each time using it, lol. You could pull back the spring loaded side lever/bolt, and when you pulled the trigger it would automatically shoot about a dozen times, or so, in a row in rapid fire. That was one of the coolest toys I ever played with, lol. I was sort of always playing the Vic Morrow role in the show since his character had one. The cost of the caps was well worth it. Now days you would probably have a dozen cops after you for using something like that. Man how times have changed.

MikeInFla likes this.
  23. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

I just started Lou Grant. Terrific acting, writing and directing. I love movies and shows about journalism, especially from the seventies (All The President's Men opened that door).

[​IMG]

Jeff Yerkey and HGN2001 like this.
  24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

LOU GRANT is terrific. If you're watching on DVD, be aware that there are a few syndicated/print episodes in the fourth season, and a bunch more (almost half) in the fifth season. That's the best that Shout was given from CBS. In fact, Shout had to cobble together an episode or two from old VHS tapes. You'll notice those spots as you go through the episodes. Still, the power of the writing, acting, and stories will shine through anyway.

25. MikaelaArsenault

Everybody Loves Raymond