What 'oldies' have you been strumming on guitar today?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Feb 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Bob Dylan - You Ain't Going Nowhere
    The Waves - Going Down To Liverpool
    Teenage Fanclub - Cells
    The Velvet Underground - Beginning To See The Light
    Love - You I'll Be Following

...on my flat-top Fender 12-string.

Tuco and OneStepBeyond like this.
  2. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

A 25-year-old song is almost an oldie?
    I guess if I'm being honest, I sometimes fall into that kind of thinking myself! :doh:

OneStepBeyond, Dayfold and timnor like this.
  3. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Here's my take on it:
    (if that's allowed)

4. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Never mind trying to keep up what meager chops I have — I have so little time available to practice these days that I’m just trying not to lose my calluses.

So when I do play, I make a conscious effort to play a lot of stuff with barre chords, maybe some Chuck Berry rhythm parts, too. (“For You Blue” sans slide is also a favorite.) Not necessarily how I’d play these songs for/with other people, but I figure all that sliding up & down the neck helps me, uhh, stay hard.
    :tiphat:

5. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

Murray Head's "Say It Ain't So, Joe". Here is Roger Daltrey's version. The entire backing band is deceased.

6. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Hotel California

7. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Well, I don't use acoustic guitar.
    These days I have focused on "Till There Was You" which has a simply fantastic chord sequence, which is really addictive in my case. Another one that has that effect on me is "Nobody KnowsYou When You're Down An Out" so usually those two are usual these days. The rest, I like to explore the fretboard and exercise my hands.

Edit:
    the next thing to address that I have fixed in my mind is "Brush With The Blues" by Jeff Beck. Maybe the next weekend

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  8. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Beautiful mate, love it! :thumbsup:

Tuco, Zongadude and danielbravo like this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I do all styles...since I was a young teen...

10. CatchAsCan

CatchAsCan Forum Resident

Song intros are more my thing than a whole song, or just chord progressions (I'm stuck on beginner-to-light-intermediate).
    Substitute
    Brown Sugar
    Jumping Jack Flash
    Sunshine of Your Love
    In A Gadda Davida
    Here Comes the Sun
    I Feel Fine
    Day Tripper
    Lola
    All Day & All of the Nighr
    Waterloo Sunset
    Take Me Out to the Ballgame

Tuco and danielbravo like this.
  11. GoneToEarth

GoneToEarth Member

Perennial early intermediate player here, so I’m somewhat in awe of some of the postings on this thread - @Zongadude, that’s a wonderful cover of Blackbird! Anyway, at the moment I’m enjoying playing Distant Sun (Crowded House) and the obligatory Wildwood (Weller).

Tuco and Zongadude like this.
  12. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

"Competent mimicry" - I like that and see where you are coming from. :) Of course, Neil Young is a pretty great, creative acoustic guitarist... AND electric AND piano - puts his own signature on everything and there is nothing wrong with that. :thumbsup: Coyote is a great tune (just thinking of that album always makes me want to dig my de-fretted jazz bass copy out!)

Vinyl Socks and Tuco like this.
  13. OneStepBeyond

It kills me to think what he could be doing with his fingers on it! I can play really quite fast with my fingers but have trouble playing rapid, steady staccato notes (best way I can describe it)... although I have a bass that I've put a cut up sponge under the strings to mute them but it's not really right for what I'd expected/hoped it would do.

14. OneStepBeyond

Ah, I used to switch one side (left or right) off so I could 'jam' with the album! My Generation is such fun to do that with. Boris has long been a favourite of mine to play on bass. :agree:

15. OneStepBeyond

A Martin - I can only dream! :love: Out of interest, what gauge do you use? Anything above 10s scares me. :D But then I'm most used to playing electric and do like to bend them when I get the chance... I really should get The Girl From Ipanema worked out right. I've got fairly close to it years ago...

16. OneStepBeyond

I love dark chocolate - but am having second thoughts now you say that. ;) I've got a book of (some hand written, some typed and scrawled on in pen to say where to put the capo etc...) folder with my favourite hymns and Gospel songs. How Great Thou Art and The Old Rugged Cross being my very favourites.

Yes, I'm glad this thread is doing well - many fine and interesting contributions... I can't say I know (or have heard of) all the songs but that's the idea... to see what comes along as I said in the OP, hopefully inspire each other here. :thumbsup:

Fender Relic likes this.
  17. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Checking on my Baby - Otis Rush

18. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

ELP "From the beginning"

GoneToEarth, Tuco and OneStepBeyond like this.
  19. OneStepBeyond

Ah, I'm not too strict about everything being an oldie. :D Won't Back Down is one I really have to give a go some time - It's Good To Be King is a big favourite so I have that in mind as well (what an album that is!) TP had so many fantastic songs - just a wealth of great stuff to enjoy playing either in a band or solo.

Tuco likes this.
  20. OneStepBeyond

Hmm - the VU.... when I was still living at home, way back when, my mum got very annoyed and came in the room to ask if I could "play something else for a change." I was recording a backing track so I could narrate The Gift over it. :laugh: I've learned/played quite a few of theirs... Sunday Morning is still my favourite to play... punky 'band' version of All Tomorrow's Parties and Waiting For The Man, What Goes On as well as the aforementioned short (lol) story! Beginning To See The Light I should do as well.

And Love - wow... one of my very, very favourite US sixties bands. Alone Again Or is about all I've ever picked up (first heard The Damned do it - very close copy but with rather slick production but not OTT IMO) although I can play and play those first four albums which are almost all equally astounding to me. I did have a crack at recording You Set The Scene (epic last track on FC - reason being apart from it being one of their best, I have it in a music book) and did a fair job on the guitars and bass but scrapped it because the key was too high for me to sing in. Fun exercise though.

Lightworker and Tuco like this.
  21. OneStepBeyond

Of course it is! :righton:

And that was fantastic - I struggle with pitching the line "Into the the light of a dark black night." Although I can usually sing quite high. I think I tend to play it a little too fast sometimes as well, so it's great to see a member here who has it completely nailed. And you manage to add a little something different vocally near the end that I didn't expect - it really works and is a nice touch. I always feel covers are even better a lot of the time if there is just that one thing somewhere that makes it unique.

Thank you for sharing it here. :edthumbs:

Dayfold and Zongadude like this.
  22. Marc Bessette

Marc Bessette The King of Somewhere Cold

I have been working on a slowed down arrangement of She’s Not There....this song is truly dark....Perhaps written in the perspective of a killer...
    She’s (no longer) there....

23. OneStepBeyond

I've got to the point where I've hardly played for various reasons over say a fortnight and they really get sore! Sliding on the bass strings probably does 'file' some of the loose skin down... playing some rockabilly rhythm I'd have in mind for that....

majorlance likes this.
  24. OneStepBeyond

Not known as a guitarist but he could/can do some effective stuff. :agree:

25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Prepping to lead a group of 15 musicians and singers in a 34 song Beatles tribute show - so just today played these (while preparing charts for the ensemble)

If I Fell
    I Will
    Don't Let Me Down
    Yer Blues
    I Want You

Rick Bartlett, Tuco and OneStepBeyond like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.