What percentage of music that you listened to in high school do you still listen to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Terrapin Station, Jan 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns Thread Starter

I thought this poll might be interesting as an offshoot of this thread:
    Do you mostly listen to the same artists that you listened to in high school?

Approximately what percentage of the music you listened in high school do you still occasionally listen to?

Note that this isn't asking the percentage of your current listening the music takes up, just what percentage of the music you liked in high school you still listen to at least every once in awhile.

If you want to detail some of the artists you don't listen to any longer and why, you could do that, too.

2. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I still listen to it (80%or so) from time to time but usually listen to things I haven’t heard yet or in a while

I had a fair- sized Styx cassette collection and while I still like them I haven’t listened to any of that in years. But artists like Floyd, Stones, ELO, Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel, those do definitely get some play

3. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

If I remember, when I was in HS, records were made with hammer and chisel...so about 20%.

4. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns Thread Starter

Same for me--100%, but most of my listening is to stuff that's relatively new to me or that I haven't heard in a long time.

5. peteham

peteham Senior Member

100%. It was a great era for music (1979-1984), and to me, a lot of it has never been bettered.

Drifter, Bluepicasso and The Trinity like this.
  6. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

If anything I listen to more of the music from that era now than I did back then. I really like music that can be accurately described as "rock and toll" with no other adjectives required, and there was so much absolutely brilliant music in that vein back in the early to mid-70s that a lot of what you might call the second tier passed me by almost unnoticed. I'm kind of looping back and picking up on artists like Rory Gallagher and Jo Jo Gunne, that I had heard of but didn't pay attention to, and I'm finally giving Bad Co. their due.

There's also a lot of soft rock that I hated back then that I've come to appreciate now. There's no denying the talent and craft underlying acts like the Carpenters and Barry Manilow, for instance.

bosie, TGH7 and Jarleboy like this.
  7. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

30%. I'm always searching (and finding and loving) new music.

8. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

100% for me. I still listen to the exact same music and the exact same albums. The only thing that has changed for me is that I have expanded my listening repertoire and interest in other groups, but I’ve never disassociated myself from my favourite music in high school, and I graduated 37 years ago.

9. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

1983-1987 90% rem, the smiths, etc..................... cocteau twins, lloyd cole etc, magnificent years for music!

Sebastian saglimbenI and RS2099 like this.
  10. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

100% mate, I must have Peter Pan Syndrome.

dirie, Fruff76, Armjim and 1 other person like this.
  11. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

The majority of the music I was listening to at school was from an earlier age (from the time), and would still listen to most of it. I'd yet to hear a lot of stuff I would get into after.

Would still listen to now, but feel I know some of this so well, I revisit less: Beatles, Stones, Dylan (although probably not as much), Velvet Underground / Lou Reed, The Jam, Emmylou Harris, Bowie, Neil Young, The Doors, Iggy and the Stooges, Hawkwind, Led Zeppelin, Japan / David Sylvian, MC5, The Clash, Joy Division, New Order, The Band, Kate Bush, Pink Floyd, Leonard Cohen, Hendrix, Otis Redding and various Motown, The Cure, Roxy Music.

The main difference between then and now is that my awareness has expanded considerably. The range of music/ artists is much, much bigger now. For example, I didn't know much about jazz or folk then, and had just scratched the soul surface.

frightwigwam likes this.
  12. Hell, I was listening to doowop in high school in the 80s, and still am.

Joti Cover and mark winstanley like this.
  13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I still listen to all the music I listened to in High School (100%) I don't listen to is as frequently as I did then, and I probably don't relate to it in the way I did then, but it is still the base from which my love of recorded music grew.

I probably listen to music that is newer to me more than I listen the music of my youth now, but there is nothing I am embarrassed about from those years, or feel I have outgrown, or any of the other things I here people say about these things. One of the interesting things I find, is there are a lot of artists that I did not like and wouldn't listen to then, that now are a big part of my collection. There really isn't too much that I won't listen to these days

14. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

I very rarely reject music that I liked because I liked it for a reason in the first place. Yes, we move on and change, but I see it in terms of adding to my knowledge base and not a rejection of some kind of past life. 70s rock is not somehow suddenly rubbish because I discovered Jazz.

15. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I am guessing about 80%. I continued discovering new music up into my 30s ;however, as I get older I seem to be going back to the stuff I enjoyed in high school. I still find new music but I’m a lot more picky about it now.

16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

About two-thirds (high school for me was early 2000s). Never been a big radio guy, and there were only a couple of stations left back then that played what I liked — and only in certain time slots. So I sought out my own stuff, and it's stuck with me, but I also liked the contemporary things that other people around me were into. That means some embarassing pop-techno and generic alt-rock isn't in my rotation anymore, but pretty much all the rest is

17. About 90%. The only stuff I rarely listen to any more that I liked then is commercial metal and dance pop; the rest of it forms a base I’ve since expanded from and revisit fairly often. Like, when I graduated high school (1988) my two favourite bands were probably Sonic Youth and Husker Du, and I’m still buying stuff by them.

18. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I'm gonna say 90%.

Nearly everything I liked in high school is still in my collection, but my collection and tastes have grown exponentially.... so now, the "shuffle" is just larger. :D

Joti Cover likes this.
  19. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I'd say about 80%

20. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

So difficult to calculate. For a start, I might have forgotten a lot of the chart music I listened to. Secondly, I could think that I still listen to something when in fact I have no plans to listen to it and haven't listened to it in a decade ... but if I were to think of it and stream it tomorrow it wouldn't surprise me. So I'm guessing 50% but I could be way off.

frightwigwam likes this.
  21. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Pretty much 100%, or close to it.

I was mostly listening to older music then (30 years ago), and I still listen to all of that stuff. Pretty much all the bands I enjoyed that were new at the time -- of which there weren't all that many -- I still also enjoy.

dirie and Joti Cover like this.
  22. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Close to 100% with a lot added to the repertoire since then.

23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Most of it I think except for Dokken and a few things like that. And not because I think I grew out of it or whatever it just doesn't sound good to me anymore. I mean, I still like and occasionally listen to Ratt...I just don't like Dokken.

24. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

100%. I've always believed that the music you dig during your adolescence and young adulthood (up to age 25) is the stuff that sticks to your ribs. It's certainly true for me at least. Maybe the developing brain interacts differently with music compared to the adult brain, I dunno. I'm 65.

ChoonyFish, dirie and Joti Cover like this.
  25. Juan Hitwonder

Juan Hitwonder Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.