What percentage of music that you listened to in high school do you still listen to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Terrapin Station, Jan 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Another poll missing popular options. We're going to have to start yet another poll thread, about what percentage of music you still listen to that you did in high school, only with the percentages in prime numbers.
    (then I could have chosen 3%; much higher with music I used to listen to in college)

Then we could finally move on to what size of shoes you wear when you listen to the same music you used to listen to in high school.

One about whether you remember your high school locker combination...and what percentage of the time you use it for passwords.

:idea: OH-! Then, we'll have to go through the same thing, only exclusively about McCartney.

2. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

I went with 80%. I was more of a completist then. Top 40 type stuff. Nowadays, I'm much more selective- Quality over Quantity.

RSteven likes this.
  3. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

guessing arond 8O%

the stuff that fell away would be much of the music I never actually owned copies of but heard regularly on FM radio 1974 to 1979. Only a small handful of the artists whose records were in heavy FM rotation during those years and which I did not own on record or tape at that time but only got to hear on radio do I still listen to today.

4. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

I was mainly listening to classic rock -- which was already classified as classic rock by then -- in high school. That remains true, though I'd say my tastes are broader now. Also I listen to a lot of music that didn't exist back then.

5. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Beatles, Bowie, Roxy Music, Be Bop Deluxe, Isley Brothers - is that it? I think that's it... Not much.

6. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

Can’t think of anything I listened to in HS in the 70s that I wouldn’t enjoy listening to today

7. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

90 percent - I had good taste then and still do. The music that don’t listen to from that period is mostly stuff I have heard just too many times to enjoy now. I also presently buy a lot of music that had nothing to do w my high school years like Blue Note material which is fortunately in ample supply.

8. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

Records/artists from school I no longer listen to

Yes
    John McLaughlin
    Wishbone Ash
    Strawbs
    Genesis
    Slade
    Status Quo

I’ll think of others later

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  9. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I was and '80s kid. So, it's hard to listen to much of the music back then. It's not that don't listen to the much, I stated that I still listen to about 50% of it. And that was par for the course when you're exploring things. You listen to a bunch of records and only end up listening to very little of it. Back then you couldn't look up new releases on the internet. If a record wasn't reviewed in a magazine or your local newspaper, you were guessing. And we were doing a lot of guessing. Today, I'm probably not going to buy a new release if I don't know anything about it. I tend to think I did all right if I still listen to half of the music from back then.

10. WisFish

WisFish Dig Them Grooves

80% for me. Some stuff just doesn’t hold up for me anymore. At one time I liked Insane Clown Posse but I just don’t wanna hear it anymore. Used to really like Styx but I haven’t wanted to hear any of their core albums in years. In high school I really loved Billion Dollar Babies but listening to it now I don’t enjoy it the same. Then there’s stuff like Nantucket Sleigh Ride and the American version of Rubber Soul that sound just as great now as they did back in high school. In high school I hid my Marshall Mathers LP because kids that liked metal couldn’t like rap, but that still makes it’s way into my ears 20 years later. As the years have rolled past high school I have found a greater appreciation of folk and country.

11. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

I'd say at least 90%. A few things have dropped of my radar or I simply stopped liking (Styx, Foreigner, etc.). I was in secondary education from 1975 until 1982.

12. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

I selected 100%. But I could also respond to 100% for listening to music I discovered 20 years after HS. I listen to music the way most people watch TV, so that gives me the opportunity to play a lot of records/tapes/cds over the course of a year. When I add new artists or genres to my collection, they or it does not supersede the previous. It only increases my exposure thus increasing my enjoyment of music factor. That last sentence is kind of clumsy, but I think it might make sense.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I still get a buzz discovering new music but I don't think there's a single performer that I enjoyed in the dim and distant past that's fallen off my trolley. Most of my early discoveries are still among my favourites.

Terrapin Station and sleepjar like this.
  14. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I picked 100%. I was fortunate that there was a lot of great music in my high school years (1972-76). I listen to a lot of stuff that I discovered after HS. I do feel that music I discovered during my youth influenced my taste in music. Undoubtedly if I had been born 20 years later or 20 years earlier my taste in music would be different.

slipkid likes this.
  15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I picked 90% and I’m skeptical that all the people saying 100% are accurately self-assessing. I definitely still play all of the albums and bands I had and loved back then — stuff I intentionally sought out and embraced and bought — but there’s a healthy slice of music I heard incidentally, on the radio, hanging with friends, along with some music I checked out back in the day and didn’t like, and much of that has slipped off my radar. It would be hard masochistic work to push myself up into a 100% overlap with 1970s high-school me.

Forum needs a “Do you still listen to the music you listened to at your first retirement village?” thread now.

carlwm likes this.
  16. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I took the question to mean music you went out of your way to listen to rather than incidental stuff heard on the radio and telly.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  17. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

How long have you worked at Pitchfork?

:laugh:

18. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

None of it.

Zero.

19. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Out of my entire hours spent listening to music, less than 10%. Considerably less. But 100% of what I was listening to then still gets listened to occasionally, there's nothing I liked then I dislike now.

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Beatles!

21. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

Been out 50 years. Not that I’ve added lots of new bands since 1990 but I have between 71 and 90.

22. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

I can't think of anything I listened to in HS that I don't occasionally listen to now, so 100%.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  23. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I went with 90% but it only occupies a small (5-10%) part of my listening.
    I still like to hear something I haven't heard for ages but still like.

24. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Supposedly there is a big doowop record collecting contingent in Pittsburgh. Looks like they’re your peeps.

JoeF. likes this.
  25. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

Same here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.