What percentage of music that you listened to in high school do you still listen to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Terrapin Station, Jan 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Pretty much the only music from High School I still listen to is the music I never stopped listening to.
    The stuff I used to listen to that I haven't heard in years I don't miss.

2. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

New York and New Jersey too.

Fruff76 likes this.
  3. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

The concept that to embrace new music you have to disgard the old is just (add any word you like but I'm going to say) wrong.

slipkid, carlwm, Buddybud and 3 others like this.
  4. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

I had very good taste in high school so at least 80%.

5. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I was going to say 70%, but I had to drop out the hair metal. 40%

6. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

None of it. 0.00%.

I grew up.

7. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Well done. How does it feel to be a young adult.

Vangro, carlwm and Terrapin Station like this.
  8. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I just listened to Delaney & Bonnie two days ago!

9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I do still listen to Enrico Caruso, does that count? And there was this new fad called "Jazz" that I still like...

JK!!! "Still listen to"-hmmm. I still listen to a lot of the stuff I listened to then, but more occasionally as I listen to a lot of other stuff now as well. And a chunk of listening as a kid was like Top 40 or MTV or early hip-hop, and no I don't listen to a lot of those one-hit-wonders very often any more.

10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Oh, I am SO sorry for you. That's awful! Our best wishes for your speedy recovery!!! :laugh:

slipkid, JohnQVD, carlwm and 2 others like this.
  11. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

What % did the hair fluff occupy? :biglaugh:

12. I graduated in 1970. I still listen to about 70% of it regularly.

13. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

No vote, nothing in the poll applied.

1964-68

Regularly:
    Jimi Hendrix
    Doors
    Yardbirds

Occasionally:
    Beatles
    Paul Butterfield (60s only)

Seldom, but not never:
    Beach Boys
    Rolling Stones
    Lovin' Spoonful

So... WAY less than 10%.

Did not include 60s artists who went on for decades; ie, I spin Zappa and Jeff Beck, all eras, incessantly.

98% of my collection is indecipherable to most folks... o_O

14. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Music Addict

I picked 10%. I really hated most of the music when i was in high school (early 1970s) and i like it even less now. I was so thankful the 1980s alternative underground came around to get me out of the 1970s drudge.

15. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

I still enjoy almost all of the music I listened to in high school, but rarely actually listen to any of it anymore. Mostly because I've heard it so much over the years. It's sort of the bedrock of my musical tastes upon which I've built more and more layers as the years have gone by,

Now, rather than listening to the old albums from those artists, I more frequently listen to their new material or go see them live (the ones that are still around, anyway).

The more significant shift for me is that some of the artists I liked a lot in HS have kind of been downgraded a bit in my appreciation of them, even though I do still enjoy their music. Sort of moving from my top 5 to my top 20. Led Zeppelin being an example.

The time period for me when I listened to music that I no longer do is middle school. I guess that was my discovering my musical tastes period. In 6-8 grade, I listened to Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Autograph, Journey, Chicago's "17" album, etc. I never listen to any of that now, and have absolutely no desire to.

The only other period somewhat like that I can think of is my mid to late 20s, when I went through a period of trying to force myself to expand my listening habits. I listened to a bit of things like the Chemical Brothers, Massive Attack, etc. Now, I still think that stuff is okay, but it's not really "my" music.

frightwigwam likes this.
  16. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

1 - 2%
    IMO: 100% would mean I'm leading a very sad life.

HenryFly likes this.
  17. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I checked off 20% because I listen to very little from my high school days. I think it's also dependent on WHEN you were in high school, at least that's my opinion.

I was in high school from 1984-1988 so the list of bands I loved back then that I no longer listen to will likely irk a few readers but Que Sera Sera :D

The No Longer List

Aerosmith
    Night Ranger
    Dokken
    Cinderella
    Def Leppard
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Zeppelin
    Floyd
    The Who
    AC/DC
    Van Halen
    Bon Jovi
    Scorpions
    Motley Crue
    Ozzy
    Queen
    Others I'm sure I'm forgetting...

I'm not saying it's bad music ( Well, maybe some...) but their music is of no interest to me any longer.

Bands I discovered/explored in HS and continue to listen to include The Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Fleetwood Mac and Tom Petty. Most everything else that consumes my listening time comprises of artists I discovered in my 20's-present day, especially blues, jazz, country, Americana, soul/funk.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    frightwigwam likes this.
  18. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Zero and a year ago it would have still been 10%. I broke with my musical past as I had pandemic-related time on my hands to explore what's being released by current artists. I think 2020 was a fantastic year for music.

19. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Voted 60%, but it's very much a rough guess.

frightwigwam likes this.
  20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns Thread Starter

Yeah, music that you "actively" played, not incidental stuff you might have heard while hanging out at the mall but paid no attention to/have no memory of, lol

carlwm likes this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Something like 90%. But I also listen to a whole lot more varied music from different eras and genres on top of that now. :righton:

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  22. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

I put 70%. I was at high school in the 77 - 82 years. Basically I went from chart music, to punk, new wave, classic rock, heavy metal, prog rock, reggae, ska, new romantic, disco and post punk. Music was splintering and changing fast and I was also discovering the classic rock of the previous years. So I dont hate some the music I sampled but don’t have time or a lot of interest in it now.

23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Agreed.

24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Why?

I enjoy all the music I've picked up along the way but I still dearly love the bands that piqued my interest in the first place so surely that's a win-win. :)

25. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Senior school in the English system for me spanned the years 1972 - 1979.

I've gone for 50% as from 1972 to 1977 a lot of what I listened to would fall firmly into today's Classic Rock category and is made up of artists and records I hardly bother with any more. Not compared with back then at any rate.

So these days I am still listening to

Some of the Prog (mainly Crimson and Yes)
    Very little of the Classic Rock (70s Stones and a few other bits and pieces)
    Some of the Folk Rock (Fairports, Laura Nyro and John Martyn mainly)
    All of the Reggae
    Most of the Soul and Funk
    A lot of the Post Punk and Art Rock (especially the stuff that emerged out of Glam)
    Hardly any Punk (first Damned album. first Clash album and pre Sandinista singles, Pink Flag)
    All the Jazz and Classical though we are probably only talking about 10 -15 albums in total

carlwm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.