What percentage of music that you listened to in high school do you still listen to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Terrapin Station, Jan 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

7th-10th grade, probably 30-50%. Such was rural America where you couldn’t find an alternative. A Ramones concert saved me. July 8, 1990.

2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I quite like The Ramones. Can't see why they are better than hair metal though.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  3. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Well, high school was a longgg time ago so I had to go with %10.

4. ChoonyFish

ChoonyFish Forum Resident

I would have said that once.

In my early 20s I shunned my high school faves. Mostly because my peers were doing the same and Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pet Shop Boys, The Sisters of Mercy, etc just weren't cool anymore.

By my late 20s/early 30s, my peer group had changed and that's when I grew up. Music snobbery was stupid and if I liked something, I liked it and I was just going to enjoy it. Bought back all my high school faves, and it was nice having not heard them for years.

Kick myself over the concerts I missed, though.

I chose 90% because I used to tape Top 40 stuff off the radio and listen to it a lot. And also cringe when I hear Billy Idol who I loved for a short time before getting into the bands mentioned above.

5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I picked 20%, but it's just a number I pulled out of my you-know-what. Most of the music I listened to in high school I haven't listened to in years. But I might still listen to it some day or maybe I might listen to something once every 3, 4, 5 years. Is that what you mean by "once in awhile" like once a decade, or something more frequently than that? FWIW, it doesn't mean I no longer like most of that old music I loved when I was a kid -- I still like most of it, I still have fond feelings for it in memory, but I'm not interested in hearing familiar stuff again, and again, and again. Interestingly, now that I'm pushing 60, there's plenty stuff I've discovered in my 20s and 30s that is old-to-me and very familiar, but somehow I find myself much more likely to be interested in that than the old-to-me music of my childhood and adolescence.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Highschool for me was a bit like the Cobra Kai soundtrack. Well, not a bit, just like it. Styx Blue Collar Man, Loverboy, Foreigner, Journey. Typical 80s stuff. Id say Ive left 80% of it behind and replaced it with other 80s stuff Id never listened to or even heard of.

So 20%.

7. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

I've always refused to "pigeonhole" myself when it comes to music.
    I've always been willing to listen to any tune from any era, either sung or played well.
    I listen to stuff from before WW2 until the present day, some but very little of much of comtemporary music.
    It's the music not the era for me.

8. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I put 50%. I don't listen to them in constant rotation except for the classics of my era like Outkast, Nirvana, Tupac, etc. and even then it's more upon occasion. I'm always trying to discover they energy of new bands and artists as well as uncovering treasures of the past that came before I was born.

9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns Thread Starter

One issue for me is that even though I listen to a ton of new/more recent music--the bulk of my listening is actually stuff that was released in the last 15-20 years, it's very rare that I run across stuff that I like as much as I like stuff I was already into by the end of high school. And in many cases, people aren't even making music in the same vein any longer. For example, there aren't many new albums that are in the vein of something like Zappa's Studio Tan, or the Dead's Blues for Allah, or Chick Corea's The Mad Hatter, or Weather Report's Heavy Weather, or Yes' Relayer, or Todd Rundgren's A Wizard, a True Star or Todd, or Jethro Tull's Songs from the Wood, or even Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti or say Alice Cooper's work from the second half of the 70s. And entire genres of mine that are among my favorites--like late 60s through early 80s style funk & soul, barely even exist any longer. Or another example: I've yet to discover (and I doubt I ever will--I've long been familiar with all of the big names, and most of the lesser names have nowhere near the output) any classical composers I like near as much as Igor Stravinsky and to a slightly lesser extent Aaron Copland . . . but I already knew the work of both well when I was in high school.

Surely one factor is simply the age I was at when much of the music I mentioned above was being made, but I also happened to be that age when a lot of stuff was being made with really quirky combinations of influences, where artists were eager to do a really wide variety of stuff, and where they were willing to literally experiment a bit ("what would happen if we tried combining a bit of this with a bit of that?" etc.), where they were sometimes kind of "crazily ambitious"--really pushing their compositional and/or instrumental abilities, not only from album to album, but often over the course of a single album. So although I listen to and certainly like plenty of new/more recent music, when I go back to the sort of stuff I'm mentioning, I more often than not like it more, so I don't know why I'd give it up (even though I'm careful not to listen to the same stuff too often because I get burned out on it if I do).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    carlwm likes this.
  10. ChoonyFish

ChoonyFish Forum Resident

I don't either. I still listen to 90% of my high school faves, but not often.

I'm not completely stuck in the 80s, I like Goldfrapp, Porcupine Tree, Wovenhand and lots of albums from post 2000.

But I do seem to have an affinity for 80s stuff. Bands I didn't like or listen to in the 80s I've become a big fan of in the past 20 years. Simple Minds, Killing Joke, OMD, Ultravox, Iron Maiden. Most of them are still going strong and I've seen them live numerous times. (with the exception of Maiden who I only got into properly in 2019.)

Disposable income and the internet play a big part in getting into the back catalogues of bands that passed me by in high school, but I've no interest in (re)discovering 90s bands.

11. DM Curator

DM Curator Forum Resident

Listening to music is a form of time travel and I spend the vast majority of my time living in the past.

12. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

90%
    I added Frank Sinatra and some jazz- but otherwise- when I crank the stereo- I'm still 17 years old

13. Lanark

Lanark The French for deja-vu

This is almost like a trick question, there is lots of music I 'heard' in high school but didnt buy and listen to extensively until much later.

It is a well known phenomenon that most people have a strong preference for the music which became popular when they were aged 13 to 19. In fact a good way to find new music you are likely to enjoy, is just look up the album charts for the year when you were 16 and see what is there that you haven't heard.

If you think about the music you listened to aged 20-25 there will probably be much more that you got bored with and moved on to new things.

14. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i still like everything i liked in high school. i own all of it too.
    however only 10% of it is in regular rotation these days.

Doghouse Riley likes this.
  15. bosie

bosie Forum Resident

+1 for me the greatest era of music, I’m still finding great stuff !!!

16. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I guess I haven't grown up much, I voted 90%

Only band I can think of not listening to anymore is Def Leppard...

17. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I said 90% I graduated 50 years ago. But of course much music has been added.

18. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

The only 45s I have (excepty for a couple of dozen "temporarily out of favour") are in my two jukeboxes. I only play a few every two or three days, including , but I work through them all in rotation, even the B sides, to ensure the mechanics continue to run smoothly, as use is the best form of preventative maintenance with jukeboxes.

Terrapin Station and pinkrudy like this.
  19. HalloweenJack95

HalloweenJack95 Forum Resident

I'd say about 70%. And after school I discovered much more music and genres. For example Grunge or alternative Rock. Back then I didn't listened much to 90s Music. That has completely changed now.

20. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I guessed 60%. It might be closer to 70%. It’s hard to say. Until fairly recently, I’ve regularly turned over a chunk of my CD collection when I got bored with stuff. Now, I have the cull boxes, but am not sure what to do with them. It used to be pretty easy to get rid of CDs.

I still like/occasionally listen to my favorite music that I listened to in high school (1986-1990), which is not necessarily the same as music that was popular when I was in high school. But I also, probably like a lot of other people, listened to things that did not become my favorites. Most of what I don’t listen to anymore was already out of my collection/listening rotation by 5 years after high school.

To be somewhat specific, I listened to a lot of second-tier thrash bands, third-rate rock and metal (70s and 80s) including stuff from my stepfather’s collection, crappy punk rock, hair bands, and chart music that I no longer have any real interest in. I might still have a soft spot for the first Paula Abdul album, but I couldn’t tell you the last time I listened to it. It was probably in the 1990s. I also used to listen to Dokken, Aerosmith, Sammy Hagar, Coroner, Overkill, etc. I don’t have any of those albums anymore. If they were mine. The Hagar records were not. I don’t even remember a lot of the bands and I don’t have the records around anymore to look at and jog my memory.

I still own albums by Billy Joel and Dead Kennedys, but couldn’t tell you when I last listened to either. I think I may have listened to Suicidal Tendencies at some point in the last 5 years. But I have listened to Minor Threat within the last five years, and I listened to Misfits and Black Flag in 2020. I haven’t listened to the Butthole Surfers lately, but I still have most of the CDs and dig them out occasionally. Same with The Beatles.

I like Madness and Dexys Midnight Runners more now than I did then. That is in part because those records were hard to find where I lived in the late ‘80s. I bought most of their albums in the 1990s on CD. I still love R.E.M., though I don’t listen as often as I did before they broke up. I still see They Might Be Giants in concert regularly. They’re my wife’s favorite band, so they got a good amount of play here.

21. Bowie1979

Bowie1979 Forum Resident

Well seeings as I only listened to Guns N’ Roses during my school years, yes I still listen to them. And I still know all the words to “Coma”

22. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

23. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I still listen to approximately 100% of the artists I listened to in high school. However, that is about 20% of what I listen to now. Not to say all of these artists are listened to every year, but probably in the last three years and I have not decided that any of these artists/bands are something I am no longer interested in consciously.

24. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

63.7%

25. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I listen to The Ramones fairly often, just this morning, in fact.

I never listen to anything that I would classify as "hair metal".

I'm curious why you feel The Ramones sound similar in style to bands that I WOULD classify as Hair Metal like Bon Jovi, Poison, Motley Crue, Skid Row, WASP, Ratt, Twisted Sister..etc....??

carlwm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.