What percentage of music that you listened to in high school do you still listen to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Terrapin Station, Jan 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Not sure I suggested they sound similar, I think I said that I don't regard The Ramones as better than most of the big hair metal bands.

TerryB said in post 76 that a Ramones concert saved him from hair metal. I don't understand why it has to be an either/or. If a genre is not for you (the generic you, that is) then fair enough but I can't imagine any concert experience being so damascene that I need to jettison all my previous tastes.

For what it's worth, I quite like The Ramones and I also quite like hair metal. As it happens, I do think there is some crossover at the centre of the Venn diagram inasmuch as the both ultimately have their roots in Fifties rock and roll but that wasn't the target I was aiming at in the post you quoted. :)

Exile On My Street likes this.
  2. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Can we PLEASE stop using the term hair metal???????!

carlwm likes this.
  3. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

No.

starduster likes this.
  4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I think we can, at least, agree that Angry Anderson and Rob Halford play no-hair metal. :)

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  5. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Hmm, maybe @TerryB can extrapolate on his post then.

carlwm likes this.
  6. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

This was literally a life-changing moment. Picture an insecure kid growing up pre-internet, not feeling like you fit in, considering yourself a weirdo- normal adolescent angst / insecurity stuff. Hair metal was the soundtrack of the parking lots and parties, and, at its core, felt hollow. Then a new kid comes to your school with a box of tapes that blows your mind. You start to meet other people, very, very slowly, who are into this other music. It becomes a unifying code of sorts. That weirdo kid goes to a Ramones show and discovers it's okay to be different. Even though, at the end of the day, you're just another kid and really, they're all going through stuff. But it feels okay now. I should also add that seeing the Kinks several times around then really confirmed that feeling.
    I still dipped into the hair metal thing a little after that. Maybe not the outright cheese so much (Great White, late 80s KISS), but I went to a GnR show in 91 and loved it, easily a top ten concert. But the Ramones showed me that there was indeed a world outside of rural Orange County, VT and that I could find a place in it. Then again, I live 30 minutes away now.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  7. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

Re-reading my original post, I see I never said the Ramones saved me from hair metal (and I truly mean hair metal- dudes in my school were getting perms and listening to Kixx). I meant they saved me from feeling like a misunderstood oddball. Music did that when you were a teenager. That was the beauty, whatever you were attracted to.

carlwm likes this.
  8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Misread your post, then. Apologies. :tiphat:

TerryB likes this.
  9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

That's a complicated mathematical equation. I might have to submit this to the MIT Lab.

10. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Kind of scary that so many people picked 100%. Are these the people who are actually IN high school right now?

If not, you don't listen to anything else? How narrow and closed minded.

Are people misunderstanding the question?

11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I've picked shed-loads of new music since my school days. Still get a buzz from discovering new music these days but truthfully, I still regard the bands I discovered back then as brilliant. I can't think of a single performer I loved when I was fourteen that's dropped off my radar, now I'm older.

That's why I went 100%. They're all still with me.

12. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

The question isn’t if that’s all you listen to. The question is do you still listen to everyone you listened to back then.

Or I just didn’t understand.

starduster and carlwm like this.
  13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Yeah, that's my take too.

14. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

All good. Go Ratt!

carlwm likes this.
  15. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i said 70% but you gotta understand that i was listening to the beatles stones who small faces etc ... along with ... the jam, the clash, echo and the bunnymen, dead kennedys, the stranglers, buddy holly, elvis, etc etc ......

30% i don't really listen to anymore ..... the style council, the cult, the smiths, jesus and mary chain, dead milkmen, circle jerks, the jolt, the housemartins, fine young cannibals,

i mean, i'll still spin some of that 30% ONCE in a while, but it is certainly NOT on rotation in any consistent manner ...

16. Andrew Johnston

Andrew Johnston Forum Resident

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Do you mean that 30% of what you listen to now is still you played in HS, or that you only listen to 30% of the artists you liked in HS?

Just curious - it sounds like you're saying the former, but I interpret the latter as the thread's parameters.

You can listen to 100% of the artists you liked in HS and still find/love new music! :)

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I voted 90%.

Like @nodeerforamonth, I also like plenty of music that didn't exist until after I left HS in the 80s, but there's really not a lot that I enjoyed from the 1st half of the 80s that I don't still enjoy.

Maybe 90% is high - I might be forgetting some crap I liked then and don't like now.

But it's a high %age, whatever it is!

19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

About 60% or so- I still listen to a lot of the same old dinosaur rock I listened to in high school but my tastes have also expanded considerably in the last quarter century, more folk, jazz and classical in there. My musical tastes have mellowed in my old age:laugh: Like I say, though, there's stuff I listen to now I wish I'd discovered back in high school, be a whole different musical journey if it was...

20. surfsup

surfsup Senior Member

High school? Very little.

College? That's a whole 'nother story!

21. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

All of it. Liked it then...like it now.

Sometimes I'll like certain songs better now than I did then, and vice-versa, but I still like all of it.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  22. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

No problem liking music from your high school days, who doesn't?
    But if that's all you're listening to (as in 100%) then you're living in the past.
    I'm thinking it's a positive thing to move forward.

23. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I put 70%.

Some stuff I listened to partly due to the crowd that I was hanging with -- other stuff I just grew out of, I suppose.

24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'm reading the opening question as being what percentage of music, from your younger days, do you still listen to rather than exclusively listen to. Since the end of my school days, I've discovered hundreds of bands but I still enjoy all of the early bands I got into.

Obviously, I might have misunderstood the question (plus ca change :)) but that's been my take. :righton:

25. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

80% - There's some that I can't listen to anymore and there's stuff that I listen to now that I did not listen to back then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.