What percentage of music that you listened to in high school do you still listen to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Terrapin Station, Jan 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

80% ... talking about my own purchases
    Pink Floyd, Santana, Dire Staits, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Randy Crawford, Motown ... never die
    Can’t remember what I kicked. Slade is one of them ...
    Things like Bay ****y Rollers, Rubettes, Sweet and so on I never bough

But a lot of music was added though ...

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. I don't spend a lot of time listening to what I listened to in high school, but I don't dislike or reject it either. Some of it was (and is) very good. High school for me wasn't a happy time that I long to return to, even in my nightmares. Nostalgia may be less of a factor for me than for some others.

Most of the music I listened to in high school wasn't current music of that era anyhow.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  3. Can you be a bit more precise?

4. There are a few exceptions (I don't like Radiohead or John Wetton solo anymore), but most of it is still in heavy rotation. From King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan and Genesis to Joe Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Roxy Music, The Band, The Who, Rickie Lee Jones. I'd say 90%.

5. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

30%

So much good music came after the 70's, plus the discovery of Jazz, Bluegrass, Chamber Music... New music made in 2020 was delivered today!

6. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

All of it. Whatever I loved in high school, I still love!
    But my tastes have expanded far beyond what I listened to in High School.
    I listen to all of it!

7. GuvnorsWhiteJacket

GuvnorsWhiteJacket Lord Julian's Consort

Only about 20% of it. I listen to Abba, the Hollies and the Osmonds and that's it. I'm more into music I wasn't into then such as Bowie, Hendrix and Leslie West. But I've outgrown the cheesy, corny pap and a certain tartan clad band.

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Almost everything I listened to back then I still like.

Some things I felt were too poppy though as I grew up and no longer liked very much & have no desire to ever listen to again (EG: The Beatles) and I gravitated much more to bands that jammed, had more guitar solos, better musicianship, and a harder rock edge for the most part.

9. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

the 8O% of music from high school that I still listen on occasion represents I will guess between 5% to 1O% of my current overall music palate. Things were different then. I was in school eight hours a day and when I was off from school I was usually galavanting about with friends and if music was at hand during our escapades or whatnot (it often wasn't) it was almost wholly FM, which means we were probably hearing the same 5OO songs on rotation. With 1O,OOO+ CDs now in library and streaming to boot, 8O% retention is relatively little in terms of quantity compared with the total amount now indulged in.

Another factor is that my home listening differed wildly from the listening I spent more time at with friends because I was weaned from a young age on modern jazz
    and my family has a large collection of lps. It is just that during high school I was not at home all that much.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  10. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Even as far back as high school, I had a reputation for 'liking a lot of crazy sounding music that no one else had ever heard of" and I'm still that way, "but even more so."

The Trinity likes this.
  11. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

100%

I still listen to pretty much everything I did, although I listen to far less of The Alarm, Love&Rockets, and 7Seconds. I’m one of those guys that pretty much has music playing on shuffle, 24/7...so it all turns up some day.

12. ILovethebassclarinet

I spent as little time as possible at home when I was in high school; looking for records was just one of the ways I did so.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  13. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

I went 30%. These years ('95-'98) were such a crazy hodgepodge (in a fun way). What was "popular" quickly came and went for the most part, and while I listened to a huge range of things at the time, not a lot stuck in the long run at all. My regular rotation features way more from my middle school years ('93-95) and earlier.

The small bit that did stick for me was great though:

Radiohead (The Bends, OK Computer)
    Massive Attack (Mezzanine)
    PJ Harvey (To Bring You My Love, Is This Desire?)
    Pearl Jam (No Code, Yield)
    Mark Hollis (Mark Hollis)
    Emmylou Harris (Wrecking Ball)
    Faith No More (King For a Day...Fool for a Lifetime, Album of the Year)
    Tool (Aenima)
    Nine Inch Nails (The Fragile)

14. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Oh my! Rereading the question, I think *I* misunderstood the question! First time for everything, I guess.

I was reading it as "what percentage of the music you listen to is from high school"! (meaning if you picked 100%, you only listen to music from high school).

I thought this was another creative way to do another "new music sucks" thread. How embarrassing on my part.

I have to change my answer from 30%. It's more like 80%. Maybe even 90%. I had good taste in high school.

15. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

50% - my "high school" (they weren't called that in the UK) days were in the 1980's and I HATED most of that music so spent most of the time and money immersing myself in 60's music. About half of what I enjoyed then still gets played today as I discovered more interesting music after I left school. Very little 80's music holds any value to me and I was cursing back in the day how much I loathed it and that I wished I was born many years earlier.

16. ILovethebassclarinet

LOL, I'm older than you and recall having similar sentiments when I was MUCH younger.
    'Now why couldn't I have been born in, say, 1949 or '50 instead of 1953?'
    I did get over it, of course, when I was in high school, I was already going to events like this:
    stranger than known: 1970 Ann Arbor Blues and Jazz Festival Documentary

Now I do have some issues with the link; the first Blues AND jazz festival wasn't until 1972, and I didn't see any gatecrashers there; most of them were a few miles away at Goose Lake...

Philip Gruber likes this.
  17. rainingdogs

rainingdogs Death Of A Clown

Like less than 1%, the odd song here and there. It's not really the years one would like to recall, honestly. Cringe inducing years!

18. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Same boat as you... I was in high school in the '80s, but I didn't listen to anything my peers were listening to... hated Springsteen, Prince and Michael Jackson... I was listening to the Pretty Things, Yardbirds, Them and Butterfield Blues Band... I still listen to everything I was listening to in high school - plus more of course...

on the other hand, it's stuff I listened to in the '90s - Reverend Horton Heat, Cynics and other neo-garage bands - that I can't even begin to listen to today... dated much worse than any of my '60s bands!

19. ashiya

ashiya Forum Resident

Of stuff I actually bought (at the time limited pocket money so what I bought was only a small percentage of music I liked), probably around 80% or more even. Would have been less 20 years ago when I'd rarely pull out the likes of Fleetwood Mac or the Eagles. Nowadays it's really quite rare to think "did I really like that?" about anything unless we're going back to pre-adolescence.

20. Cosmicott

Cosmicott Forum Resident

There is really no music that I listened to in high school that I don't enjoy now.... so 100% in that scenario. 30+ years later my tastes have expanded... and I find myself listening to the stuff I listened to in high school about 25% of the time.

21. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns Thread Starter

Right.

The first post said, "Note that this isn't asking the percentage of your current listening the music takes up, just what percentage of the music you liked in high school you still listen to at least every once in awhile."

ILovethebassclarinet and carlwm like this.
  22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

The only listening I did in high school (1965-1968) was basically whatever was playing on the pop/rock/soul AM radio stations. There is still quite a bit of that music that I listen to and now have in my music library so I will guess I still listen to 70% of what I listened to then. Not really sure though.

23. ILovethebassclarinet

And I find myself "playing catch-up" with all of the music from that era that I WASN'T exposed to "back then," in multiple genres, not to mention SINCE then...

ashiya likes this.
  24. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

100%. There aren't too many artists/bands from then that I don't still listen too every now and then. But I do listen to a lot more now too.

25. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I listened to crap in high school-top 40 until I was 16 and then processed corporate rock. 10% tops. Blue Oyster Cult is about it.

Same here. I'm still finding great music that I never would have listened to back then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.