What (pressings, albums, bands) should I look for in Berlin record shops?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by wbass, Apr 12, 2023.

1. wbass

wbass Forum Resident Thread Starter

Headed to Berlin next week for a long weekend. I've got a little list of shops to check out. (Mostly gleaned from here. Would welcome other recs.) I'll put those in below, but, really, my question is... What might German record stores be more likely to have that, say, shops in the UK or US might not?

I mostly crate dig jazz, so I'll be on the hunt for ECM and Japo for sure, possibly MPS or Black Saint. But I might also look for Can, Neu!, and possibly some 60s-70s American/Brit rock that might have good German pressings (?). I like a little ambient, instrumental, avant-garde, electronic, as well, but tend not to buy much that's digitally sourced.

Anyway, what would you hunt for in Deutschland? Any classic German stuff that I might miss? Thanks!

Holy's Hit Records - Berlin, Kreuzberg

POP - Schallplatten in Berlin - POP - der Laden

Spacehall Berlin – Record store

https://www.dodobeach.de/

Sunday flea market at Mauerpark, Prenzlauer Berg

2. Ere

Ere Senior Member

A German Atlantic Led Zeppelin II with RL in runouts on both sides.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
    wbass likes this.
  3. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Original Can, Neu pressings will be expensive, probably close to €100 depending on the album, even the German language Kraftwerk albums have crept up in price over the last few years.

The shops in Berlin can be a bit more expensive than in other parts of Germany and like many major tourist destinations have tourist prices.

wbass likes this.
  4. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Pick me up an Horzu Magical Mystery Tour, would ya? :D

wbass likes this.
  5. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Seriously, we’re off to France in a few weeks and I’ve been asking the same questions.

wbass likes this.