What rock song do you think had the best use of an instrument atypical of rock music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ryuundo, Jan 19, 2022.

1. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

John Cale, Celesta, Northern Sky by Nick Drake.

John54 likes this.
  2. Scat Rabies

Scat Rabies Forum Resident

Big pipe organ in Sanctum Sanctorum - The Damned

phantasmagoria likes this.
  3. Peter Mork

Peter Mork Forum Resident

Danger Man theme. Nothing like a harpsichord at full hully-gully to evoke dark, spider-webby corners where danger lurks, but you still want to get your Mod on.

4. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

Ian Anderson of Jethro tull normally plays flute, but this must be very unusual. If you jump to 2:46, he starts to play on his "Claghorn", a homemade instrument. He simply used an bambu flute and combined it with a alto saxophone mouthpiece. Probably the only one and a very special sound:

5. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

6. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Sackbut. lol.

Not rock but a precursor to British pastoral folk rock, some mean sackbut can be heard on "Anthems In Eden" by Shirley and Dolly Collins :

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  7. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

I guess it depends on how far you want to stretch the definition of rock.

The entire subgenres of prog, known as avant-prog, is loaded with instruments not typical of rock. Oboe, crumhorn, cello, violin, all sorts of percussion, brass, flute, even accordion show up in the great majority of these bands.

But like I said, even though these types of bands a subgenre of prog, in many ways they are very close kin to contemporary classical ensembles.

Bands like: Thinking Plague, Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, Aranis, Henry Cow... the list is long.

speedracer likes this.
  8. speedracer

Not the "best" whatever that is, but beautiful glockenspiel by Ginger Baker on "Those Were the Days" - Cream

9. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Lost Child

Wonderful, wonderful song, totally owned by the organ which creates the entire atmosphere for the piece. Great shout. One of my very favourite songs of all time.

speedracer likes this.
  10. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

That thing Brian Jones is playing.

11. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Three months and still no one mentioned Jackyl's musical chainsaw??? For shame.

speedracer likes this.
  12. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

"Curly"!

13. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

In a very brief appearance, a siren whistle ring a couple of times in The Raider's "Out On That Road". Fits the tone of the song perfectly

14. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

"Wild Thing" by the Troggs was my first thought with an Ocarina solo in the middle and it was mentioned on page 1 of the thread. But here's a video of the song with Reg Presley playing the Ocarina solo live (starting at about 1 minute 8 seconds). For years I knew the name of the instrument that played the solo without bothering to look up what it actually was.

souldeep69 likes this.
  15. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

The spoons in Spoonman by Soundgarden

16. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Octachord on We The People's "In the Past"-

description:

We the People's fourth single, "In the Past" (b/w "St. John's Shop"), was released in late 1966 and featured the sound of a locally made musical instrument that the band used instead of the sitar, which was becoming popular on records at that time.[4] The eight-stringed instrument, dubbed the "octachord" by the band, had been made by a friend's grandfather and looked like a large mandolin.[4] The octachord was played on the record and at live concert appearances by the band's lead guitarist, Wayne Proctor, who still has the instrument in his possession today.[4]

17. speedracer

[​IMG]

Just saw The Hu (Mongolian heavy rock) a few nights ago, the most unusual array of instruments I have ever seen in a rock band, traditional Mongolian instruments electrified. Fantastic band, perfect rock experience.

[​IMG]

Dissidence and PlanxtyBob like this.
  18. PossiblyIndecisive

PossiblyIndecisive Forum Resident

A marimba.

19. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

I was pretty sure it wasn't a xylophone.

20. speedracer

Truly weird Kazakhstani cat basket solo in "Steppe Out" by Pink Lake, from the Balkhash region.

The Kazakhstani Cat Basket is a unique and storied instrument, descended from the time of Genghis Khan, baskets full of cats were tied to the horses, and used as close combat weapons, cats would be thrown into the faces of the adversary - very effective blinding and distracting technique. Similar to the evolution of stringed instruments from a hunter plucking a bowstring and bending the bow for pitch shift, the cat basket evolved from a purely military function as over time it was discovered that various techniques of shaking and squeezing the basket produced a marvelous array of sounds, a palette ranging from the delightful to the sublime, and if played with singular focus, unearthly to hellish. The sound has been compared to avant garde electronic music, one top modern classical critic dubbed the cat basket "The Mongolian Theremin" - indeed, in the hands of a skilled practitioner, the eerie Theremin quality is uncanny.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    Dissidence likes this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The bicycle horn in You Still believe in me

22. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Winner!

23. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

Don't know if it's been posted, but the first one I thought of (hammer dulcimer, I think):

24. 5:15

5:15 Well-Known Member

One if the most emotional songs ever performed

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan With Eddie Vedder “The Face Of Love”

Goblet Drum [Dumbek] – Joachim Cooder
    Harmonium – Farrukh Fateh Ali Khan

25. William Abely

William Abely Forum Resident

The two accordions in “Wouldn’t It Be Nice:

souldeep69 likes this.