What Rudy Van Gelder Did "Wrong" [Article]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Devin, Jul 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devin

Devin Time's Up Thread Starter

Interesting Reverb article about the 'perceived benefits' of Rudy's white hot recording process, with comments from Blue Note president Don Was, Posi-Tone's Nick O'Toole and a classic re-quote from Steve Hoffman himself.

I wasn't aware that Rudy would disguise his microphones so others wouldn't catch on to what gear he was using. Fascinating stuff.

What Rudy Van Gelder Did "Wrong"

MisterBritt and tug_of_war like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

3. BillyBuck

BillyBuck Forum Resident

I’m definitely in agreement with Mingus’ oft-cited quote about Rudy’s style changing players’ sounds. I first listened to Herbie Hancock’s “Empyrean Isles” in its entirety without realizing it included Tony Williams—one of the most distinctive drum sounds in jazz. The make and model of his trashy yet endlessly expressive ride cymbal has had drummers speculating on its make and model for years, but on BN recordings you won’t even hear it.

Bass players and drummers on BN albums seem to fare the worst. In most cases, they could be anyone (Blakey being the immediately identifiable exception).

Pianists can occasionally cut through and identify themselves melodically or rhythmically, but cutting everything off at 8-10k and then compressing it into audio sausage means you’re never going to hear the difference between say, Hancock’s lighter touch and McCoy Tyner’s heavy hand.

4. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

“Take three or four expensive German mics with a blistering top-end boost, put them real close to the instruments, add some extra distortion from a cheap overloading mic preamp through an Army Surplus radio console, put some crappy plate reverb on it, and record. Then, immediately (and for no good reason), redub the master onto a Magnatone tape deck at +6, compress the crap out of it while adding 5 dB at 5000 cycles to everything. That’s the Van Gelder sound to me.”

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2020
    VinylCountdown and tug_of_war like this.
  5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Can you translate?

tug_of_war and kt66brooklyn like this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

**** no.

7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

It's more fun to fill in the blanks:)

slovell and kt66brooklyn like this.
  8. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

Enough said :laugh:

slovell and kt66brooklyn like this.
  9. Devin

Although I'm inclined to agree with Steve I will admit that Rudy did have an instantly recognizable (albeit dirty) sonic fingerprint. Whether or not you like it you know it's RVG as soon as you hear it.

But I've often wondered why so many people love that sound. Ultimately I think it comes down to nostalgia mostly. Some listeners associate this sound to a time and place where they first heard these records. So the sound takes them right back there mentally. At least that's my two cents. YMMV.

10. BillyBuck

BillyBuck Forum Resident

Agreed. There’s also the fact that the BN catalog includes some of the best performers and performances of jazz when it was at its second most popular peak. Even though you’re viewing them through a slightly dirty window...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  11. Devin

I really don't get the idea Don Was posits here, that the distortion in Rudy's recordings somehow translates to what he calls "immediacy." Distortion is distortion. End of story.

12. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

That’s a singular view that anyone is welcome to hold but musicians and producers use various types of distortion to positive effect.

So yeah, distortion is distortion but not all distortion has the same effect on music.

gingerly, Tim S, NaturalD and 4 others like this.
  13. Devin

Obviously but here I'm referring only to the distortion inherent in Rudy's Blue Note recordings.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  14. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

What did RVG do wrong? Nothing. Nor did Alfred and Francis.

15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Meanwhile, at Englewood Cliffs, April 1966...

16. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Amazing! Thanks for posting. Here's a famous one recorded at the same place, same year:

tug_of_war, GerryO, jbg and 3 others like this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Amazing that once RVG built his new studio in Englewood Cliffs, all the old distortion vanished. A miracle (whip.)

18. BillyBuck

BillyBuck Forum Resident

Wasn’t Art Blakey’s “Free For All” recorded in Englewood? On the other hand, that’s Art—known to be one of the most gleeful and proficient punishers of VU meter pins in all of jazz.

19. Devin

And the horns too. Those guys were on fire at that session. I don't blame Rudy much for that one. He probably dialed it down as best he could but the sheer intensity on display was...well, intense.

tug_of_war and kt66brooklyn like this.
  20. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

By the way Mr Freeman @Reverb, it's not Ray DuNann but Roy DuNann...

kt66brooklyn and Devin like this.
  21. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

An interesting article. If you don't notice that "Wrong" is in quotes, it sounds like an indictment of Rudy's recordings. He did have a recognizable sound that was/is not everyone's cup of tea. I have a few reservations about some of his recordings, but I am so glad he did what he did.

22. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Can't be much "wrong" if the recordings turned out to be so great.

andrewskyDE, mx20, tug_of_war and 7 others like this.
  23. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...he’s giving it four out of five stars....for accuracy :D

24. BillyBuck

BillyBuck Forum Resident

Someone (maybe in a thread here) once offered up a thought experiment of what classic BN albums would have sounded like recorded by other labels, for example Blue Train recorded in Columbia studios with its lush, natural reverb (think Kind of Blue) and more natural piano sound vs. Rudy’s spring verb and heavy-handed compression. As iconic as some of the BN recordings are in their existing forms, I’m not sure they would have suffered.

kt66brooklyn and NorthNY Mark like this.
  25. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

What are the sonics of a jazz ensemble in a small nightclub??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.