Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

What`s better? Today`s music or the music of the60s/ 70s`/80s/90s?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kieran White, Jan 12, 2021.

1. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving rhyme-artist

You mean it would have to be a special wine for you to pay so much for it. :0) How about this 1?:-

Oops! Change the word glass in the song for bottle, unless you'd prefer Bucks Fizz. "Now's the time for making your mind up.". Lol.

2. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

You'd barely get a glass for that in a London pub ...

HorseyAnn likes this.
  3. Thievius

Thievius This is my sweet custom title, yo

I prefer the old stuff. Not to say its better per se, but whereas there were dozens of albums that interested me every year back then, nowadays its down to just a couple. And its been that way for decades.

HorseyAnn and carlwm like this.
  4. YoGarrett

YoGarrett Well-Known Member

I hope finding refuge from people shouting at him about neoprog (!) can help heal the OP and lead him back to rock music. Amen.

5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

You don't need to pay a fortune for champagne. Just get a bottle of Blue Nun and a couple of alka seltza. Bob's your uncle! :D

juss100 likes this.
  6. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Or anywhere, these days. My dearly beloved dreads me going to the bar when we're out in case she's ends up with another glass of maison rouge. :D

HorseyAnn likes this.
  7. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I know of some really terrible music from all decades listed.

8. HorseyAnn

I don't know. I've never tried your tip. I have bought champagne once or twice & got it as a Xmas present from work once. I prefer Bucks Fizz so normally make that with the champagne or just buy ready made Bucks Fizz. I like listening to Bucks Fizz too. :0)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 6:04 PM
    carlwm likes this.
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Please don't ever try my "tip." It would taste appalling! It was just a bit of puerile humour! :D

Never tried bucks fizz. Like you, I enjoy the band though. Memories of childhood and carefree days. :)

10. HorseyAnn

Haha! I wouldn't. I was just playing along with your little joke. :0)

Bucks Fizz is lovely. Cheryl Baker was a good singer. I wonder if she can still sing. Their music reminds me of my childhood too. :0)

carlwm likes this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Nice one! :righton:

I had a real crush on Cheryl Baker back in the day. Most of my friends liked Jay though. :)

HorseyAnn likes this.
  12. HorseyAnn

I sometimes do that to see what people say. ;0)

I had a crush on Jason Donovan & Craig McLachlan at 1 time. :0)

carlwm likes this.
  13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The good old days! :)

14. HorseyAnn

Yes

:0)

juss100 and carlwm like this.
  15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I was born in the next village along from Mary Hopkin's home patch, in the Swansea Valley . She is still very well liked locally. Never took on any airs or graces even after all her success.

To tenuously drag the thread back on track, her daughter, Jessica Lee Morgan is a really excellent performer as well. :)

16. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

60s female pop/soul
    late 60's/70s rock
    70's black music
    50's,60's, 70's jazz
    70's reggae
    britpop

These are the ones I like the most...the 80's kinda passed me buy as I hate that "80's sound" but do love The Smiths and Talking Heads.

HorseyAnn likes this.
  17. HorseyAnn

She seemed nice. I didn't realise she was Welsh. When I think of Welsh music I normally think of choirs, Harry Secombe, Tom Jones, Shaking Stevens, Shirley Bassey, Aled Jones & Charlotte Church.

I was bringing the thread back on track by talking music after talking about wine. I don't know. I've never heard Mary Hopkins daughter. :0)

carlwm likes this.
  18. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Hello Kieran, and welcome! Firstly, it's terrible that you were banned from a forum for expressing points of view and opinions that didn't align with others'. It's how social media works nowadays with many forum moderators and their elitist attitudes and god complexes.

As for your assertion that older rock is better (superior in quality) than modern stuff, I agree and it is scientifically proven to be so. However, better is subjective. That said, I state my opinions and feel no need to defend them. I may explain my opinions if I feel so inclined, but never do I feel obligated.

For me personally, there are many reasons I feel most modern music has lost its appeal. This video pretty much sums things up for me.

HorseyAnn likes this.
  19. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

The music from 2112 is pretty dang sweet!!

20. John54

John54 Senior Member

60s: excellent
    70s: very good
    80s: very good
    90s: had its moments
    00s: meh
    10s: meh

There hasn't been a song I truly love since 1998, a year in which there were two: Dance Girl Dance by Cinerama and The Underdogs by Rialto. There have been some good ones though, and I confess to not listening as closely for the past 25 years as I did for the previous 35 or so.

Joy-of-radio and HorseyAnn like this.
  21. David Stilesson

David Stilesson Well-Known Member

Didn't realize how pathetically myopic you old men were until I had a Sirius trial w/ a new vehicle and actually heard how shallow the 60s and 70s were with regard to quality music across even a primitive spectrum of genres available then. @John54 's response epitomizes the white flag capitulation to age that all too often manifests on SHF, but even that is changing as the distal end passes and the new replenish.
    Jesus, just confess that you've given up and we'll start filling in your grave.

Big Blue and carlwm like this.
  22. Kieran White

Kieran White Forum Resident Thread Starter

That could be the theme of a very interesting new thread.

23. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Yes, let's beat that dead horse a few mores times, OK?:mad:

Big Blue likes this.
  24. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical Omnivore

Wheres' the guy to say the 1920s was best? Oh wait, that guy would've been Joe Bussard. :sigh:

25. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Forum Resident

I've listened to music since the late 1950s. For me the worst decade was the 1970s. My teenage years. I hated the music then and like it even less now. Admittedly, I do like a few things but very few.

I'm fairly indifferent about the 1950s. Love the 1960s. My favorite is probably the underground alternative of the 1980s which pulled me out of the drudge of the 1970s. The 1990s and beyond are great, too. So much of my favorites come from those years. The music i listen to the most is generally from within a decade of when I'm listening to it.

carlwm and davers like this.