What SACD players don't convert DSD to PCM?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Merrick, Nov 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure you'll find it's high resolution DVD video, not DVD-A.

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have not heard your system but been in a couple show dems using room correction. Really confusing - superficially sounded better at first then switching back not so sure - preferred the uncorrected sound. Might be valid for all digital but converting an analogue source to digital and back will change the sound in some way whether some individuals think it is better. Digitising analogue always makes it sound more digital. For the price of some of these room correction systems would be more cost effective upgrading or side grading or even moving speakers to match the environment. I think it's just an excuse for those with deep pockets to throw more unnecessary money at hardware. Comes with an obsession with the 'hi-fi' aspect rather than concentrating on musical reproduction IMO. Best sound is usually by keeping it simple.

3. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke Thread Starter

Ah, never mind then.

4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

My earlier question was if you have any experience with room correction in your system in your room. Not if you've heard my system. Listening to a few demos at a couple of shows is not going to give you a real idea how room correction could be beneficial in your room. So many variables. Room correction type (which you did not indicate), how the room correction was setup as well as the room and component variables.
    Not sure what would be so confusing listening to a system with room correction.
    If some individuals find the change from an analog source to digital using room correction creates sound quality that is improved wouldn't that be good? It seems like you're saying if there's a change in sound quality it's bad whether it sounds good or not. Now that's confusing ;).
    Some would disagree with that opinion. Many variables involved for that to be an absolute.
    Which systems are you referring to? What component or speaker upgrades can help with issues in ones room that room correction can help alleviate?
    This statement is totally wrong in my opinion :rolleyes:. I certainly don't have deep pockets. But I have an affordable processor with Dirac room correction that does an incredible job in my room.
    So you're saying those like myself and others that find room correction beneficial aren't concerned with "musical reproduction"? That's total BS as I'm very concerned with "musical reproduction" and the overall sound quality of my system. By "keeping it simple" do you mean that even if there are issues in ones room it sounds better if there's no additional processing?

5. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Sorry, I was probably being pedantic in differentiating between DVD-V and DVD-A. It's a great sounding, he-resolution, DVD-V so is still well worth a listen.

6. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Nope. However, that requires a straight direct path to the DAC and means that any DSP is bypassed, including bass management, levels, delays, EQ, etc..

7. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

So how does one get a straight direct path to the DAC and which AVR has this facility ?

8. Kal Rubinson

1. You need to use a setting of "Direct" or "Pure Direct" or whatever similar term is used by the particular manufacturer.
    2. You need to do the research yourself as I have no knowledge of AVR details. I know only about a few prepros. Perhaps others will contribute to this.

9. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

My Pioneer SC-LX76 (European model from 2012 but also sold in the US with the Elite badge) accepts DSD over HDMI and USB, bot nomatter if Direct or Pure Direct is engaged, all DSD signals are converted to PCM. The Pioneer gives no information of what resolution DSD is converted to PCM. One can assume quantization must be at 24 bits but what about sampling rate?

10. High Fidelity

There is no Direct or Pure Direct on the Sony STR-DA5400ES, I have no interest in prepros, or DACs so your replies to my post are pointless I only use an AVR.

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You might want to check your manual as there is a "2ch Analog Direct" function that is discussed on page 79. There's also a "2CH/A.DIRECT" button on the STR-DA5400ES's remote (button #29 on page 17 of the manual). You might want to take some time to "research" your AVR as Kal Rubinson suggested ;).

So in fact Kal's replies to your post were quite helpful and certainly not "pointless" as you claim :rolleyes:. I see you are new here so maybe in the future you won't dismiss fellow members help so rudely as you have here. Also Kal is one of the most respected individuals in the A/V industry.

http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20081109143700/Manuals/158/1585400ES.PDF

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Linger63 and scobb like this.
  12. High Fidelity

From Sony Technical : When asked if the DA5400ES stays with DSD , The say ; The STR-DA5400ES uses the full resolution of the DSD signal (32 bit) from input filtering through to processing the signal, then and only then does the amplifier at the final stage convert to PCM. So are you saying that going to 2CH/A direct the amp stays in DSD ? .Even if it did this would be useless because one would not obtain DSD for 5 Channel SACD surround sound. I should have s posted there is no 5 channel Direct button, I do not use a AVR just to get 2 channel Stereo, So your reply is also pointless.

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

In our previous post (shown above) it does not mention anything about "5 channel". You claimed "There is no Direct or Pure Direct on the Sony STR-DA5400ES" again with no mention of "5 channel". You were incorrect on that plain and simple. I have no idea if the Sony STR-DA5400ES stays in DSD when using the 2CH/A direct mode. You own the Sony so why don't you try it and let us all know. Oh by the way welcome to the SH forum :).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    jusbe, Linger63 and scobb like this.
  14. Kal Rubinson

No one said that. None of us can know the details of each and every AVR on the market.

There are two requirements for getting direct DSD to analog output. One is the option to to select a function that bypasses DSP manipulations and the other is the inclusion of a DAC that has the ability to convert without PCM intermediary. The former is easy to determine by looking at the user's manual or playing with the device. The latter requires investigation of the DAC chip device or a specific statement from the manufacturer.

You have received careful and correct replies here and your angry responses are unwarranted.

jusbe, Linger63, scobb and 3 others like this.
  15. High Fidelity

My responses are not angry, but how many more times do I have to post that I am not interested in DACs or Prepros
    Surely the whole purpose of using an AVR for audio is for playing mch SACD. I did make a mistake in saying there was no Direct on the Sony remote as it is only for 2 ch. whilst I require 5 channel.

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The "whole purpose" of using an AVR is not for playing multichannel SACDs. I'm not sure why you would think. I would say most people use an AVR as a hub for their HT and audio systems. As much as I'm a fan of SACDs the people that listen to stereo music with their AVRs is far greater than those that listen to multichannel SACDs.

17. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Bill Mac and Kal are both trying to help you?

So you have made assumptions in your posts that you expect everyone to know and then, when you receive a factual reply to your posts that don't include your assumptions, you feel a rude and dismissive reply is justified?

Kal is giving a general answer here and not specifically referring to your player and he simply says you need to do your own research.

Calling his reply as "pointless" was rude and dismissive to someone whom was trying to be helpful (with the information he had) and I wonder what you were hoping to achieve?

He doesn't say you need a dac or a pre-pro (and neither does Bill Mac), just that's where he has experience and he has no knowledge of AVR (including yours) details and you should do your own research.

18. Kal Rubinson

It is, for me. :edthumbs:

19. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

Here is a list of AVRs that can covert DSD to analog directly.

20. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

High Fidelity,

Welcome to the SHM forums.
    IME everyone here has always been happy to help everyone else as best they can.

Please show a little politeness to fellow posters who replied solely to help you.

Looks like warp2600 has something for you!!!

WRT future posts........A good idea to fill out your Equipment Profile which will enable any respondents to obtain potentially relevant info BEFORE posting.
    This will makes things easier for everyone and should help get you quicker, even more concise, answers.

Have a great Christmas everyone. :wave:

jusbe and warp2600 like this.
  21. High Fidelity

With apologies to Kal as it appears I misread his reply, I thought he was referring to a separate DAC ,but it seems he meant the DACs in the AVR ? With regard to warp2600 I can not see where to click to obtain the list of AVRs that can convert DSD to analogue directly for 5 channel sound.

22. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Just click on the first bit of warp2600's post that says...."Here is a list".....( it IS the actual Link!!)
    It should appear as blue text and highlight in brown text over an orange background when you put the mouse on it

Then.......when the page comes up........ scroll down a bit and you will see the list........It's a pretty good Thread!!!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  23. High Fidelity

Many thanks got the list. Bill Mac I have tried out the 2 channel/A.Direct button on the Sony remote and have made a interesting discovery the display on the receiver shows 2 ch stereo, then I pressed the A.F.D. button and was very suprised to see DSD 3/2 the sound appears to be very slightly sharper. Only problem now is I can not find how to get out of this latest mode so to compare the DSD sound with the PCM. I can find no mention of DSD in the Sony STR-DA5400ES Owners Manual, It seems the Sony receiver can be added to the list of AVRs that convert DSD to analogue.

24. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Good news!!!.......

IIRC......I think AFD stands for "Auto Format Decode".....which I used to leave my old Sony STR-VA555 ES AVR set at to avoid any unnecessary added processing.

If you can get your hands on your AVR's User Manual have a good read and................ not only will that help you to get out of where you are now..........you will know whether all other settings are optimal for best SQ too!!!

I do remember my old manual and the remote being a bit of a user UNfriendly nightmare though!!!

25. High Fidelity

A.F.D. stands for Auto Format Direct allows you to listen to higher fidelity sound (no mention of DSD) and changes 2 channel stereo sound to multi -channel sound.

Linger63 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.