What should I do about re-tubbing my Audio Research preamps

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by John Moschella, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member Thread Starter

I have an Audio Research LS-15 and PH3 and will have to re-tube soon. In the past I have just
    bought the new tubes from AR. Are there any other alternatives that make sense?

John Moschella

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes, plenty of choices. Do you want to go with new Chinese or Russians that are fairly inexpensive, or are you looking twords NOS?

NOS is pricey, but usually worth it if they test good.

Let me know ;)

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What tube types are in those pups? I fer-got....6DJ8's?

4. Sckott

6922 X4 and the Power is SS.

The PH is same tubes with X3 on it. Or, E88CC and 6H23.

Steve, wanna recommend any? Not sure if your pres use these tubes.

5. Steve Hoffman

Nah, I don't know. Some of my least favorite tubes on the planet...

Upscale Audio's website has some pretty accurate descriptions of the various 6922's out there.

6. Sckott

Ok. Well, any rate, even NOS shouldn't be that expensive. If you're looking for recc's, try Kevin's site as Steve said, and email him if you want specifics on that type of tube.

While I don't use that type either, I'm fairly sure they're very plentiful. A good thing.

7. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Amperex 7308's will plug right in (ultra tight spec member of the 6DJ8/6922 family) - expensive, but ultra long lifespan (mine are in a Musical Fidelity tubed buffer stage) - major improvement over the stock Phillips 6922's it came with, gave it that tasty tubey twinkle my system really needed. Bone up on the 7308's identifying characteristics (Amperex tubes have a date code etched on them) - lotta relabeled ****e out there...

8. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I agree with Steve's suggestion and think you should call Kevin Deal over at Upscale Audio.

I just re-tubed my Audible Illusions and he always has steered me right. There is actually a shortage of good sounding 6922/6H23 new tubes out there. Sovtek was a safe bet, but apparently what has come out of their factory(s) the past few years haven't held up in modern equipment (especially in AI stuff).

As you'll see on his sight, Kevin has found several stashes of old Sovteks that are pretty good. Due to shortages of the tube type, he only offers most of the NOS stuff to his custumers who have purchased equipment.

The other possibility is a new, premium version of the Sovtek which was announced at CES - 6922EH. According to PR, it is supposed to be much better built and sound more like a NOS tube.

Unless you buy straight from AR, I wouldn't purchase a tube from anyone who didn't know the equipment it was going to be used in. I also wouldn't purchase a tube that hasn't been thoroughly tested and if needed, matched. If this sounds like an ad for Kevin, so be it.

Just my two cents,

Gabe

9. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. The last time I bought from AR they were using Sovteks for my older preamp (SP-9). At the risk of sounding like a ***** here, what does NOS mean/stand for?

10. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

new old stock. like, unused old stuff.

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I would recommend retubing via Audio Research. Here is why:

1. I have done both and actually find ARC tubes to sound great.

2. They are always well packaged and well matched.

3. Customer service is superb and flexible if you have any problems.

4. They will upgrade you to better tubes as they become available as they did with the output tubes on my VT100.

I hope this helps. :)

12. Steve Hoffman

How do you like your VT 100, Lee? I always liked the way it looked and sounded.

13. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Don't put down ALL Sovteks, Kevin Deal has some nice NOS Sovteks. However, if money is an issue, stay with ARC as LeeS suggested.

Only two choices: Kevin Deal or ARC.

BC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.