What song did you pick for your first dance at your wedding?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fjhuerta, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I wanted Under My Thumb but it didn't fly, so it was September Morn by Neil Diamond since we met in Sept.

2. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Bus Stop by the hollies, pretty apt considering that's where we met.

3. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Terr, don't do that! You are opening a can of worms. That's almost as bad as asking her what day your anniversary is!;)

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

javier - this topic was covered here:

First Dance

mine was Patti Smith 's Paths Thatl Cross

5. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

We used Talking Heads' "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)". For a while I favored the Velvet Underground's "I'm Sticking With You," but it doesn't lend itself very well to dancing...

6. reechie

reechie Senior Member

"Only Love Remains"- McCartney

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

And I Love Her (double-tracked vocal stereo version.:D ).

8. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Won't Get Fooled Again.

:winkgrin:

9. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

Our wedding song was "If I Should Fall Behind" by Bruce Springsteen. Give it a listen, it's a great song.

Our cake cutting song was "La La Love You" by the Pixies. No one else knew what it was, but hey, that's why we're married!

10. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Roberta Flack. The rest of that "Atlantic R&B Volume 7" CD worked great for the rest of the reception.

11. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

The Honeydrippers version of 'Sea of Love'.

12. mdp7751

mdp7751 New Member

"It's the End of the World As I know It", and I didn't feel fine for very long.

13. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

ROTFLMAOOL
    :laugh:
    Norm

14. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

laughing so hard I almost forgot my song..

"Always & Forever"
    Luthor's version
    I sign every card and flower delivery that way too...
    :rolleyes:

Peace-
    Norm

15. tom406

tom406 New Member

I can't remember the first song, but the finale we specified was Jimmy Buffet's "Why Don't We Get Drunk & Screw".

My Mom still gives me grief, which was probably my intent:)

I tried to specify all the songs, hoping to "enlighten" our guests with my vast library of tunes, but NOBODY would dance. I finally let the DJ loose, "Mony Mony" and "Achy Brachy Heart" trumpeted forth, and there was jubilation from the crowd. Sigh.

16. Larry Geller

I did this and it worked. We picked most of the music (which we made sure was danceable besides being good---heavy on Stevie Wonder), much to my DJ's dismay--he accused us of "stifling his creativity", so we let him pick his own stuff for a couple of slots. We only had a few rules: 1-NO KENNY G!; 2-No medleys, especially Motown---only complete songs; and, most importantly, NO IT'S RAINING MEN! (I warned him that this was a boomer crowd that hated disco). Well, anyway, about halfway in, what comes on but It's Raining Men! It EMPTIED the dance floor (which had been jumping non-stop up until that point)! I went over to him, said "see" and got no more trouble from him the rest of the affair!

17. reechie

reechie Senior Member

You aren't paying him to be "creative." :rolleyes:

The last wedding I went to where the DJ decided to get "creative" resulted in a lawsuit...which the DJ lost.
    :laugh:

18. Larry Geller

Please elaborate on this!

19. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

:cool: :thumbsup:

20. reechie

reechie Senior Member

This goes back to the early 90's. The DJ met with the wedding party, and was given a list of songs they wanted played during their reception. For the most part, those attending the wedding were older folks, who wanted to dance to oldies, a few country songs, maybe the Chicken Dance...

Long story short, the DJ completely ignores the list, and for the entire evening, plays nothing but stuff along the lines of MC Hammer's "You Can't Touch This". The only people dancing were about 7 kids who'd come along with their parents, while everyone else pretty much just sat around looking puzzled. Despite repeated requests to change the type of music being played, including from the bride and groom, the DJ basically decided to gear his set to the kids who were dancing to MC Hammer for the entire night.

The wedding party were quite unsatisfied by this, and immediately consulted a lawyer and stopped payment on the check. When it went to court, the DJ boasted that he was a "professional" with much experience at entertaining a wedding reception, therefore, he knew better than the wedding party themselves what would work best. The judge then asked the DJ if he'd actually received and seen the wedding party's request list. When he replied yes, the judge basically said, the wedding party is paying for your services, you do what they tell you". and ruled against the DJ.

Dornelles likes this.
  21. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

Same here. I gave the DJ a tape of several admittedly obscure songs that were personal favorites of my wife and I, and nobody danced to any of them (except for me and my wife, of course). But when the DJ played the Electric Slide and all the other usual party favorites that I despise, the crowd boogied like mad. All of which, though disappointing, taught me a valuable lesson about entertaining guests...

BTW, what were the songs that flopped?

22. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

:eek: "Every Breath You Take" is a song about obssesion, not love! Good call on that one.

"True" sounds terrific - I was reminded about "The Wedding Singer"! (we will definitely be chosing at least one 80's song). We are thinking about a contemporary, upbeat song and a slow, romantic one. We have both agreed at least one of them should come out as completely unexpected to all guests.
    So far, the list goes like this:

* "Cherish", Madonna
    * "True Blue", Madonna
    * "Happy to be stuck with you", Huey Lewis & the News (Actually, this is the only song we have *both* agreed on).
    * "Smile", David Gilmour

This weekend, I guess we'll pick the two we want. Hmmm....

23. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

I'm So Proud=
    Curtis Mayfield & the Impressions

doug

24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Smoke On The Water :cool: :D :laugh:

25. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

That one could only be compared to playing "Paradise by the Dashboard Light". :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.