What song immediately brings back fond memories of Miami Vice?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musicnonstop, Aug 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

The Knight Rider theme. Because that show was on right before Miami Vice.

musicnonstop likes this.
  2. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Kevin j and George P like this.
  3. Trash Panda

Trash Panda Forum Resident

Paging BradOlsen -- I remember being thoroughly surprised to hear Amy Grant's "Who To Listen To" from Unguarded on one MV episode. The YT poster said this was from Season 2, ep 4, "The Dutch Oven," airing in October 1985.

musicnonstop likes this.
  4. The theme of course along with Phil Collins. I never watched much of it only because I was busy doing other stuff like reading, going to movies, visiting friends, etc. so it was never much of a big deal to me.

musicnonstop likes this.
  5. Cool. I still think the song is mediocre tripe but what The Simpsons did with it is cool.

6. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Same for me. I was very aware of its existence at the time but I don't recall ever actually watching it.
    I always associate the show with Phil Collins, who actually performed a villain in one episode IIRC.

7. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I wish. I will say though said mate had to "Emigrate" to find some sort of success in the music industry.

8. gazzaa2

gazzaa2 Forum Resident

He had a song for the episode, Rat Race.

I remember Take Me Home closing the Season 2 opener in New York and then Long Long Way To Go during a funeral at the end of season 2.

Season 1 and 2 Miami Vice is great television and the way they used music was great. This was the first episode after the pilot and the week the song was number 1:

musicnonstop likes this.
  9. Mark R. Y.

Mark R. Y. Getting deep down

Girls with Guns - Tommy Shaw
    In the Night - Russ Ballard
    Smuggler's Blues - Glenn Frey
    Rhythm of the Heat - Peter Gabriel
    Boys and Girls - Bryan Ferry
    Best Adventures - Thinkman

Eric_Generic and musicnonstop like this.
  10. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

11. musicnonstop

musicnonstop Kling Klang Kwatsch Kommentator Thread Starter

That singer will forever be linked to Miami Vice and vice versa... :righton:

12. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I tracked down that album specifically because of this song in Miami Vice. :righton:

And the quote from that episode always stuck with me, especially when I've had crappy jobs, when Fiona says:

I'm just a physical substitute.

:)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    mbrownp1, musicnonstop and George P like this.
  13. kevin5brown

I don't know why, but it's this song that always stuck with me with Miami Vice:

musicnonstop and Eric_Generic like this.
  14. kevin5brown

I wanted to post a few other things I found, even if just for reference.

This seems to have all the songs in the show, by episode, by season. You just have to drill down for each one. I'd prefer just one long list, but oh well:

Music from Miami Vice

And then a YouTube Miami Vice playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA-a95i0Zw9w9VGuRhpXU36-gtgZZxz5G

This looks pretty good, but while it says complete, it's missing at least the two Russ Ballard songs I now that the show had:

Miami Vice - Most Complete Playlist (all seasons in order), a playlist by timobee on Spotify

ARK, musicnonstop and Eric_Generic like this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

This!

musicnonstop likes this.
  16. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Oh wow. I am still in the process of (re)watching (or, post S2, watching for the first time) Miami Vice. I get sidetracked though. And concurrently creating a massive 8-disc anthology of the music featured in it. So this is a question that I don't (yet) have a definitive answer to! :)

But in general, the music is a big, big part of the show isn't it. Something like Voices (as the boats race around the harbour), or Tiny Demons (which got me totally into Todd Rundgren), or just about one song every episode that has something memorable attached to it.

EG.

17. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I saw them film in Miami Beach before the first airing...probably July 1984. Don Johnson looked like million dollars....there was no way the show would fail. They could film anywhere up to the first airing then it became impossible without security. TV fame does things.

18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Great great track. Had never heard it before (being in the UK, it wasn't a hit) but I had to get the album after seeing that episode. In fact, watching the Miami Vice DVD set is costing me a small fortune in tracking down American CDs!

EG.

Mark R. Y. and musicnonstop like this.
  19. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Did I have fond memories of Miami Vice?

20. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

I reject the premise.

21. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I recently had the opportunity to meet Jan Hammer. I was the only one that knew who he was. When I mentioned that he did the theme for Miami Vice people went, "ohhhhhhhh."

andrewskyDE, ARK, kevin5brown and 2 others like this.
  22. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Just love Crocketts theme, great vibe

23. Jonny W

Jonny W Forum Resident

"Weasel Dust Boogie" by Francesco Zapparini.

24. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

I only saw one episode “Back in the World”. Watergate figure G Gordon Liddy guest starred and it was all Doors music.

musicnonstop likes this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

This track, Texas Ranger, was another great Jan Hammer contribution, appropriately used in the Willie Nelson episode, El Viejo:

musicnonstop and Eric_Generic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.