What songs remind you of television series or movies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bmasters9, Nov 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

When you listen to a particular song, do the lyrics or chorus remind you of certain television series or movies? At least one song does for me, and for two of the past: Reba McEntire's The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter from 1995 (IIRC, that's when that came out), which reminds me of The Untouchables (the 1959-63 ABC series w/the late Robert Stack as Eliot Ness, set in 1920s-1930s [Prohibition-era] Chicago), and of Miami Vice (that hit 1984-89 NBC detective/action series w/Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas, set against the sun, surf, sand and sin of that Florida resort area).

LouChang likes this.
  2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

"In My Life" by The Beatles, but in a round-about way. There was a TV movie in the 1980s named Letting Go starring John Ritter and Sharon Gless. The characters both played lost a significant other (he due to the death of his wife, she due to finding him in bed with another woman). They both attend a therapy group to get over the loss and one of the things they are required to do is put away all of the mementos (photos, letters, records, and so on) of the person they lost.

Later, they are told to bring out the items and go over them. One of the things Ritter's character brings out is a copy of The Beatles Rubber Soul and as the song "In My Life" plays (performed by a sound-alike group named Rain) Ritter's character undergoes an emotional breakdown over the loss of his wife. Due to that, that song always brings back that movie to me and led to me buying Rubber Soul by The Beatles so I could hear the original song.

3. bmasters9

Here is that Reba song I mentioned in the OP at the top-- would you have the same associations as I did, or would you have different associations? (I neglected to put it up at the top.)

4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Can't hear Bohemian Rhapsody without thinking of Wayne's World.

5. bmasters9

Also, Radney Foster's 1992 hit Nobody Wins reminds me of that scene in The Kissing Booth 2 where the main characters had an uneasy Thanksgiving dinner together (or lunch)-- don't know how it does, but that's just how I see it.

6. Prism

Prism Damn Dirty Ape!

Wagner’s The Ride of the Valkyries always reminds me of Apocalypse Now and the helicopter attack on the beach.

7. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

"Surfin' Bird" by The Trashmen and "How Much is That Doggie in the Window" by Patti Page trigger flashbacks to Pink Flamingos.

8. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

One of Miami Vice best episodes...

9. nifticus

nifticus Forum Resident

When I hear "Jump into the Fire" by Harry Nillson and "What is Life" by George Harrison I immediately think of the sequence in "Goodfellas" where Henry Hill is being followed by the helicopter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6GQO0ue3D8

Scott57 likes this.
  10. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

"
    'Stuck in the Middle With You' by Stealers Wheel from the movie "Reservoir Dogs". Love that Madsen strut!

JKCanuck and altaeria like this.
  11. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

"Turn It Around" by Asia makes me think of Back to the Future Part II

The song has a hopeful but melancholy vibe that I think would've made it a good track to run over the end credits (like "Doubleback" at the end of Part III). I think someone should do a video of the song with clips from the film. I'd say the lyrics fit rather well. The song is from 1996 but the album on which it appears, Arena, had a very intentional throwback 70s & 80s sound. This track definitely sounds like it's from the mid to late 80s.

bmasters9 likes this.
  12. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Being one of the few existing Payne-era Asia fans myself, I find your post both peculiar and completely random... yet somehow kinda appropriate :)

LouChang likes this.
  13. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

Well, I suppose it was a notion waiting a long time for a thread like this one. Peculiar and random... yeah that's what my brain usually delivers. :D

bmasters9 likes this.
  14. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Vivaldi's Concerto in G, the opening of which was used in All That Jazz. It is what got me interested in classical music. I went out the next day and bought the first Vivaldi LP I came across.

15. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Good song, forever linked with Sopranos.

17. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Right Back Where We Started From makes me think of Slapshot, the greatest sports movie ever.

18. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

This one, for sure!

19. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

Come Sail Away

20. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

The theme to The Neverending Story now reminds me not of the original movie but of Stranger Things.

21. JKCanuck

JKCanuck Forum Resident

I'm a child of the 80's...
    Don't You (Forget About Me) the Breakfast Club
    Pretty in Pink (Pretty in Pink)
    Why do Fools Fall in Love ( Some Kind of Wonderful)
    Beat's So Lonely (Some Kind of Wonderful)
    Somebody's Baby (Fast Times at Rigdemont High)
    I Must be Dreamin' (Heavy Metal)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.