What stereo gear are you planning to purchase in 2021?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Man...you keep moving on up! Congrats!

hi_watt, Rick58, jusbe and 1 other person like this.
  2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

In February I'm going to be home-demoing KEF LS50 Meta and Spendor Classic 4/5 speakers.

I'm very thankful to have a great local audio boutique (Hawthorne Stereo) that lets me try out pretty much anything they've got in stock that's unboxed.

3. rbmitch2

rbmitch2 Forum Resident

It's not a big deal, just have to pull the top cover.

4. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

So far an Icon Audio MC TX step-up transformer.

Slippers-on and mreeter like this.
  5. LeBud

LeBud Born to be mild

Just two things this year.
    1 - upgrade my cartridge and 2- buy a CD transport ... and since I just got a Benz Wood SL,
    I'm already halfway there and we're not even in February yet !
    I'm going to need a longer list.

6. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Nice cartridge, one of my favorites, always sounds good.

7. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Congrats!

Benzion likes this.
  8. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

A few things on the wishlist now for this year:
    1. Hegel or Rega integrated, leaning towards Hegel to go with...
    2. Move up the Dynaudio line, something from the Excite line or Contour 10
    3. New cartridge, no idea what yet!

Rick58 and SirMarc like this.
  9. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

The wife said I could have the JBL 4312G if I really wanted it :) lol! I will probably wait till we move In. And re assess it but that’s cool.

Rick58 likes this.
  10. LeBud

LeBud Born to be mild

Thanks, I'm still fine tuning it, but it's got to be one of the smoothest sounding cartridges I've ever heard ... and no IGD anywhere to be found.

Davey likes this.
  11. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Nice. That sounds easier than my experience swapping the tubes in my Tube Box DS last night. I went for Tung Sols based on a recommendation I saw in an old post by @avanti1960 and I ended up wrapping duct tape around the top of the tube to give me something to hold on to to get the old ones out. Listening to lots of Iggy tonight. Stooges S/T John Cage mix, Fun House, Raw Power is on now. :bdance:

Rick58 likes this.
  12. Nothing planned and if I go through the entire year without buying anything, that would be a first in the last 50 years.

Rick58 likes this.
  13. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

I think its time for me to buy a new cartridge for this turntable. I'm not really a turntable guy. I just use this to play a new LP and record it to cassette. Other than that, I never touch it. Any recommendation for a good sounding cartridge and will last decently for my purpose?

14. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

Bought way too much last year, but looking to upgrade my phono pre-amp and get a better headphone amp.

15. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I can relate, but I can only dream :winkgrin: Congratulations on having one of the best looking and undoubtedly on of the best performing Preamps available today:righton:

avanti1960 likes this.
  16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

pulling those tubes is an exercise in frustration ! poor enclosure design. on thing that helped me was cutting up a small ring of those silicone measuring cups- say a 1/2" wide band cut to length to grip the tube.

Harris11235 likes this.
  17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

thanks. totally unplanned and an incredible deal.

18. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Funny how life dictates things like your audio system. I went along for many years without system changes except maybe disc players if they crapped out. Along comes something that affects your movement and things change rather rapidly. With me it's a total new bed/sitting room system over the last year and I’m in the process now of replacing my whole main system with a good DAC/streamer, awaiting a new tube preamp and I’m really looking into class ‘D’ amplification which when purchased would mean a total new system short of replacing my speakers and I have no intention of doing that.
    I guess the biggest move was in abandoning disc based sources and entering the realm of streaming which for me seems to be the perfect fit. Well I’m happy this gives me new life in my listening enjoyment and discovery.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    MikeJedi and mreeter like this.
  19. sixthstreet

sixthstreet Forum Resident

EL84 SEP–a modified DIY RH84–using Edcor transformers that I ordered in early December. I might finally build an 8-foot-tall tapped horn subwoofer, though my expectations are low, as they are for any sub I've ever had in my system. A tapped horn should be noticeable, at least.

20. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

Marantz Model 30. One can dream haha.

21. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

As I get older my nostalgic side is looking for a pair of vintage Infinity’s, but now I have a chance to pick up a pair of dealer demo Spendor SP200’s for a great price and wondering if they will scratch that itch. Been a long time since I had an old 12/5/1 speaker.

FalseMetal666 likes this.
  22. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

I hope to one day own a space where I can fit a pair of monolithic Infinitys (sp).

BayouTiger likes this.
  23. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Thinking of how on earth l am going to purchase a set of loudspeaker cables l am loaning- did not see this coming- or planned for that matter- and with it being only January.:(

24. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Oh no :D...

25. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Hope it’s all you wished for. Great unit. Keep us informed as you work it in. Good listening.

avanti1960 likes this.