What stereo gear are you planning to purchase in 2021?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 4, 2020.

1. luiscardoso88

luiscardoso88 Forum Resident

Thank you!

I had a pair of Quad z1 but they were too bass light and thus the sound was tilted towards the high frequencies. The true ribbon tweeter was also too directional for my taste.

I also tried a pair of the bigger Quad Z2, which had a much improved bass response and a more balanced sound but the bass bled into the mids, adding a veil over the voices that was just too much.

I went to hear some ATCs and was settled on getting at least the SCM11 (or maybe the SCM19) as I enjoyed the terrific mids and realistic sound, although they were less sensitive and harder to drive.

But then these PL100II showed up on eBay in absolutely mint condition for the same price as the SCM11.

All things considered, I felt the MAs would be a better compromise, as they have a deeper bass that’s helpful on movies that I watch in stereo (these are do it all speakers for me) and I didn’t want to use a separate subwoofer.

They’re also easy to drive - was considering adding a power amp for the ATCs but the MAs don’t need it, not with my usage, at least.

The highs are about as detailed as they were in the Quads but with a much wider sweet spot, the bass goes lower than any other small bookshelf speaker I’ve heard and they don’t bleed into the mids, which remain natural and detailed. Win -win for me!

Slippers-on and Davey like this.
  2. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Congrats bud....you know we want to see that beauty out of the box when you get a minute:)

avanti1960 likes this.
  3. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

Probably a nice pair of headphones with a headphone amp.

Clonesteak, LeeS and Khorn like this.
  4. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

For me it might also be a pair of not so nice Bluetooth Circumaurals for listening to jazz and mood music at 3am.

5. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

What did I write? I buy nothing?
    Who cares for my babbling from yesterday

There is this beautiful pair of Chartwell PM 110, hmmm
    24hrs to think about

Do I have space? No! Does my wife ... NO!
    Are my last purchased speakers driven in? No ...

Okay, i buy them and send them to a friends’ house ;)
    Can explain to my government later. Or so.

6. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Nada. Still satisfied completely with my current gear in 4 systems. The only thing that would cause me to replace something is if it breaks. My excellent Yamaha RX-V990 is now about 25 years old but still works fine. That's something I might replace rather than fix if and when the time comes.

Dale A B and MikeJedi like this.
  7. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Good idea. That would obviate the need to clean the tape residue off of the old tubes too.

avanti1960 likes this.
  8. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

STAX SR-007 Mk1 or Mk2 or SR-009 with amplifier... I need to demo both considering the costs involved.

Or maybe a Sony TA-ER1 with my current headphones... although the only one I can see for sale is 15,000 euros, yikes.

9. rockphotog

rockphotog If I Could Only Remember My Name

I did pick up a Røde NT1 microphone, but it's only mono, so...

10. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Thinking about:
    1. Ortofon 2M Blue stylus for my Pro-Ject debut -- though if anybody is reading this, am I better off keeping the Red and getting the Acryl-It platter?
    2. A set of Klipsch bookshelf speakers for a second, ultra-budget system; not sure whether I should go powered or passive.
    3. I also need to replace the console in my car as the OEM piece failed. ($1600 to replace it with the dealer :confused:, and I didn't even like it as it didn't have a CD player -- so I'm definitely not going that route.) I'll probably start a thread on this, as I'm considering trying to do the install myself and I'm wondering how much of a challenge that would be.

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

6SN7 tubes ....

Khorn and Glmoneydawg like this.
  12. Glmoneydawg

Lol...we've been patiently waiting here.

Khorn and mreeter like this.
  13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

is the the "planning to purchase" or "best hardware acquisitions of 2021" thread? :)

Khorn and Glmoneydawg like this.
  14. Glmoneydawg

At the moment i'm guessing it's both.

Khorn likes this.
  15. parman

parman Music Junkie

I'd like to buy a new Integrated, nothing high end just a new piece of gear with no problems. I've got my eye on a Marantz PM 6006 that can be had for a good price. I still need to shop a little more

16. Khorn

All of a sudden I’m in the market for these also and there doesn’t seem to be a ton of the good ones around up here right now.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  17. Khorn

Makes sense.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  18. catchthecarp

catchthecarp Forum Resident

Ordered a Dayton Audio SPA-250 plate amp to attempt to resurrect a dead 10" Onix Rocket UFW-10 sealed sub. Sub will be added to my 2 ch system if I get it breathing again.

19. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Was it one of those deals that you was presented with while you wasn't looking for it but you had to take it? Yeah those are hard decisions.

I remember PrestigeWW...the guy over AK who had the bull dog named "Zeus" and the Thread "Two Channeling with Zuse" had one of those for like 8 years, and decided to part with it and got the Ayre KX-5 Twenty.

Im sure you're going to enjoy the new Cary. You don't see hardly any preamps with a rectifier power supply like that. Congrats mi Bro!

avanti1960 likes this.
  20. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Last year a friend of mine had the PL200II's and I had a nice long listen. Excellent speakers and a very nice botton end to match every other part of the sound. And very nice looking in person.

luiscardoso88 likes this.
  21. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Picked up what I hope are my last pair of speakers (at least in the main system). My first pair of real British coffins!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    Glmoneydawg likes this.
  22. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

So much for that...

In the past couple of days I pulled the trigger on a Schiit Vidar and Khozmo passive preamp for a secondary system. My Kenwood KD-2070, Marantz CD5003, and Nakamichi DR-2 will feed the Khozmo, which, in turn, feeds Vidar. For now, I’ll stick with my Polk RT25i speakers, but I’m sure I’ll kick those to the curb to find a less-pricey version of my Dynaudio Evoke 10. I can listen without a sub, which is fascinating. A Klipsch sub may be kicked to the curb, too.

Noel Patterson likes this.
  23. luckybaer

Let us know. We all want to see Hell freeze over and pigs fly. :)

24. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Other than that Technics table and AT cart, I hadn't bought a piece of gear in about 4-5 years and that was simply to build a little system sourced with a TV in my library. I don't experiment or do the upgrade thing (which I consider foolish - buy the best in your price range and call it good).

luckybaer likes this.
  25. luckybaer

That’s because you’ve got a real life! :righton: