What stereo gear are you planning to purchase in 2021?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 4, 2020.

1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

I think I went two levels up in Mundorf capacitors then I added the newer Pfaff German fan and an IEC inlet so I could after-market power cords.

grbluen likes this.
  2. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Thinking about a tube pre amp...

grbluen, doctor fuse and Rick58 like this.
  3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Before or after I win the Lottery???

grbluen and klockwerk like this.
  4. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

If you did win the lottery, what would you do?

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  5. Harp Of Glass

Harp Of Glass Forum Resident

[​IMG]

6. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

2 small speakers and a 'black box' volume knob + on/off only Network Integrated Amp. Something I can use as a ethernet DLNA device (a destination for foobar2000) and the simpler the better. 24bit at 96k data stream would be fine.

grbluen likes this.
  7. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

gotta round out my luxman line up with either a d-03x or d-05u. :laugh::laugh:

grbluen and Rick58 like this.
  8. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

Looking for a nice $2kish new/used integrated.

9. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Omg

hahahahaha.
    Thanks made me laugh

10. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

In all reality if I keep my job in this goddamn pandemic I would like to get a Rega Atheos.

11. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Rega Elex R.

you will be blown away
    Lol
    Guaranteed

grbluen, Echoes Myron and bhazen like this.
  12. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

13. vo_obgynmd

vo_obgynmd Forum Resident

Probably a Chord 2yu for my Chord 2go. The Chord 2go is currently attached to my Chord Hugo 2.

14. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Went a little crazy (for me) in late 2020 after not getting anything new for years. New Parasound A 21, and new Analysis Plus interconnects, speaker cables and power cords. Oh, and another Shunyata Venom power cord. So my Parasound pre and amp have Venoms and the 300B tube amps the AP power cords (the AP power cords and Oval 12 for the 300B system haven’t arrived yet, but I think they’ll be here in 2020).

2021: Some room treatment, likely from Primacoustic. Would like to get my Thorens TD-145 serviced/rebuilt by the Thorens guy. Then MAYBE a new cart (2M Bronze? Hana?).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  15. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans. So yes life goes on and because of that, stereo gear must be purchased to get back to square one to be able to listen to my system again.

My kid moved out to a place of their own in Brooklyn. Which means I get to setup my gear to a manner of permanence in the apartment. So first up is I will buy an audio rack to put stuff in.

I gave my kid my Harbeth C7s because I wanted my kid to have good sound and I liked the sound of C7s over the small Spendor S3/5s that was the prior speakers in that system. So those Harbeths went off to Brooklyn too. So now I need speakers which is very much a big decision. Like many on this forum, I like Harbeths and could do the same again. But I’d like to try something else and in so doing, it feels like standing on a precipice. But a fun situation all the same.

No matter what, the year that is comin’ won’t be like the year that has been and better times are ahead for us all. Stay safe out there.

16. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

REALLY nice Dad !!! Sounds like you’re sort of where I was until very recently. Had my good stuff in boxes since mid 2015 (moved to new house with small office/listening room, but never got around to setting it up there). Plans changed, now halfway moved into another new house (long story). Finally got things set up last week, ecstatic to have my system again! With new Parasound A 21 amp to boot. Bliss.

Good luck with your decision/purchase and best wishes for good sounds in 2021.

17. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

No immediate plans for 2021. I do have an order in for an Audioquest ground wire, KEF floor protectors and some Elac speaker cable. Earlier this year I bought a Denon integrated amp for our third bedroom, then we moved to a two bedroom apartment. D’oh! Still, it’s a nice amp. Most stuff I’ve purchased in quite some time.

18. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I would really like to upgrade my speakers to a higher quality to make better use of my amp. I have looked for a few months, but I spent too much time looking at things that are probably just a lateral. I figure I will need to go higher end speaker to get what I am looking for. Just cannot decide on which ones. Not a lot of places in my area to listen to different brands.

grbluen, Rick58 and head_unit like this.
  19. catchthecarp

catchthecarp Forum Resident

I've decided on these two pieces. Plan on ordering this week.

Yamaha A-S501 or A-S801 Integrated Amp - I'd like to have a USB port so I'm thinking about splurging on the S801.
    ELAC Debut Reference DBR62

Can anyone recommend some decent 28" stands for the ELAC's? And by decent I mean cheap... :)

grbluen, Rick58 and bhazen like this.
  20. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I hope in 2021 to FINALLY find someone to build cabinets: 2 for audio equipment, printer, router, household tools, and 3 matching cabinets to be Left/Center/Right, some kind of horn setup which I'm still working out the design of. Crossing fingers!!!

21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Nothing...

22. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

I want to get a new integrated amp. I dream of a Hegel 390, but don’t know if I’ll spend that much. Honestly, my under-spec NAD sounds fine to my ears.

BilboAlaska likes this.
  23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yes, those Definitive look pretty nice. My vague rule of thumb is that to be sure to get to a "higher plane" of speakerdom, you need to spend 3X as much. (Of inflation-adjusted original retail prices I guess? Ah, it's a vague rule, eh?).

On a different note ;), I think one 8" cone is not a lot of area to output bass, so you might first try a second and/or larger subwoofer. I would also suggested getting REW - Room EQ Wizard Room Acoustics Software and a microphone like maybe the Omnimic and see what your frequency response really looks like. You may decide an adjustable active crossover is in order.

JorgeGvb likes this.
  24. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Thanks for your input. I was thinking along the same lines price wise. I am reluctant to go with a larger subwoofer, since my listening room is not that big and doubles as my office. I will check out the software you suggested.

25. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I'm considering a Yamaha cd player but I'm cheap, and it's more than I've spent on stereo gear in over 30 years.

sixthstreet and grbluen like this.