What stereo gear are you planning to purchase in 2021?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 4, 2020.

1. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I feel like I should automatically preface replies to threads like this one with "I lied, before ..." as I've maintained with a straight face here for awhile now, that my system as presently constituted is "end game"

Sometime in January of (yes) 2021, I should be taking delivery of a pair of bespoke speakers from Wilmslow Audio in England -- their LS3 model. Based loosely upon the LS3/5A, these bear closer resemblance to the Rogers LS1 or Audio Note AX1. Usually available in kit form with unfinished woodwork, these will materialize upon my doorstep ready to play music, with custom mahogany cabinetry. Should be fun.

grbluen, Frazeur1, Slimwhit33 and 2 others like this.
  2. concorde01

concorde01 Active Member

Audio-GD A1 or Master-3 (Power Amps)
    Audeze LCD-3
    Then I'll start the long save for speakers: probably used JBL 4429 or something else around 6K USD.

grbluen, rodentdog and FalseMetal666 like this.
  3. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Nothing as my system is peaked to the max.

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Headphones

I bought yet another headphone amp a couple months ago. It's a Cavalli Liquid Gold X from Monoprice. Its sound is different enough from my other Cavalli amps that I need to find some new headphones that pair up with it and find the elusive synergy I'm after. So 2021 is going to be the year of the headphone search. I'm looking for good headphones. Headphones better than anything I already own. Considering the likes of the HEDD Headphone, Abyss Diana V2 or Diana Phi, HiFiMan Arya, and similar style and level of headphones. The Liquid Gold X deserves good headphones. And so do I.

grbluen, Tim 2, rodentdog and 3 others like this.
  5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I don’t have any plans. My gear sounds great, why I should change anything?

6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Reluctant because of space? Or because you think the sound will overwhelm?
    - If you're really happy with the bass sound when cranked up, hey, be happy!
    - If not then actually the first order of business is to check you're not killing the sub with a dead spot(s). A friend complained his speakers had no bass, turned out their position had a double dip, dropping between 5-10 decibels from 50-120 Hz! In other words, yeah, no bass! Buchardt A500s with room EQ flattened that, though I am bugging him to make the A500s life easier and work with positioning as much as he can.
    - If you aren't really thrilled with your current bass, there are surely compact 10" and even 12" subs out there, you could always start another thread, so that people could in true Steve Hoffman Forums tradition chime in talking about 21" woofers, large ported 15" boxes, tapped horns, and all manner of stuff that has nothing to do with your original post ;):laugh:

7. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Which player? And what are you using now? And nothing against the Sony speakers you list, but upgrading those would improve your overall sound way more than any electronics change, especially since some people hear differences when they change electronics but many don't. (I believe the speakers in particular have to be quite good before there is any hope of hearing improvements upstream, unless something is literally wrong with the system)

fretter likes this.
  8. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I was looking at the Yamaha CD-S300BL but now it doesn't look like it's available anymore. My TEAC is from the 90s or older, and the tray sticks most of the time. I've tried greasing it.
    I would upgrade my speakers, if I could find entry-level tweeter-midrange-large woofer floor speakers. Although I should probably just get with the times and buy a sub-woofer.

9. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

And to you also best wishes for good sounds in ‘21. Here’s to bringing our systems back to life, cheers.

Rick58 likes this.
  10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Yours is the attitude to strive for! Congratulations!

grbluen likes this.
  11. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Hi end ($1,500 range) to me auto TT
    new or used

grbluen and Rick58 like this.
  12. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I have been drooling over an Aurender ACS10 for years. Maybe I will bite the bullet in 2021.

grbluen, dale 88 and LeeS like this.
  13. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

... like I said, plans are fluid... I purchased the Freya last night but it's backordered to 12/17 so it might be delivered in 2021.
    Now I'm trying to decide between these amps,
    Parasound A21+ (AB)
    NAD M22 v2 Master Series Stereo Amplifier (Hypex nCore)
    Benchmark AHB 2 Power Amplifier (proprietary AB?)
    D-Sonic stereo or mono blocks (Pascal)
    PS Audio Stellar M700 Power Amplifier (ICE)
    Musical Fidelity M6s PRX Power Amplifier (AB)

Still doing research...

14. dreamingtree1855

dreamingtree1855 Filthy vinyl spinning hipster millennial

Probably time to consider stepping up from my LS50s. I don’t want to drop crazy money and I need something compact so looking for monitor sized speakers in the $2-3k max range. Maybe ATC?

I’m also likely to pick up an SL-1200 of some vintage to scratch my Direct Drive itch. I used to always have both a Rega and Technics in my system but sold my last Technics to a buddy who needed an upgrade last month. I told myself I was happy with just the Rega but I think a 1200 would be a permanent table for me if I found the right one. I’ll probably put the 540ML on the Technics and put an MC cart on the Rega

grbluen, Echoes Myron and Rick58 like this.
  15. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I bought a new open box Parasound A 21 (regular, not +) recently for $2150 to match my P 7 preamp. Sounds glorious, but if I could, the M700s are tempting, MUCH lighter! and hopefully sound as good or better. Plus of course monoblocks ...

Not at all familiar with any, nor have I heard any. I didn’t hear an A 21 before buying, but took a leap of faith and am very happy.

If I could afford $3000 ... thinking M700s ... I know the A 21 (+) and likely all can drive any reasonable speakers well. Looks like an excellent list to choose from.

Freya+ seems amazing. I’m happy with my P 7, basically require remote balance, but if that wasn’t a need and I was looking, Freya+ seems a very strong contender.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    grbluen, Tim 2, LeeS and 1 other person like this.
  16. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I upgraded from the S300 to the M700's a few months ago, and man these things kick ass! Dynamics for days, and a definite step up in all areas. No buyers remorse here. Also, their trade in program is very generous if you've got gear to trade in

Rick58 likes this.
  17. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

I like that I will be able to operate this preamp in passive, differential buffer, or differential tube gain modes. It also has 2 pair BAL IN and 1 pair BAL OUT, remote control, and enough SE IN pairs to cover my sources.

Rick58 likes this.
  18. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Nordost Blue Heaven Interconnect and Power Cord.

Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT Closed.

grbluen and Rick58 like this.
  19. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

20. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people

As of today, a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge. I was going to get a new turntable, but I needed this more. Might get a Schiit Vidar so i no longer have to use my Surround Sound Receiver for my stereo music listening. I will probably get Roon. I looked through all the Roon tested list and came back to the Mytek.

grbluen, LeeS and Rick58 like this.
  21. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

I've been impressed with the Brooklyn Plus. Mytek makes nice gear.

22. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people

It seems to do everything that I would want...and then some

23. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Sorry for the confusion on my part, I am happy with my subwoofer. It is not large, but it does the job for the size of the room.

24. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

DAC/Streamer
    Experiment with room treatment
    LPS for my Sutherland 20/20

We'll see what I actually get done as the year goes on.

grbluen and LeeS like this.
  25. catchthecarp

catchthecarp Forum Resident

Here's an update...

First I found what I believe is good price on new Yamaha S-A801 so I pulled the trigger. --> Five Star Buy
    For a bit more $ I'm getting a better DAC, a USB port and more power.

Second - Found these Polk Audio LSiM703 three way bookshelf speakers on sale. --> Safe and Sound
    For a couple of a couple of hundred more than the Elac's I could not resist.

Orders have been placed. I did go over a budget a bit but nothing crazy. I'm ready for 2020 to end and looking forward to 2021.