What subwoofer to use with Silver 300

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bairdy13, Jul 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bairdy13

Bairdy13 Member Thread Starter

Hi all,
    First post so be kind.

Have just ordered a pair of monitor audio silver 300 7g, c250 Broze FX and M.A ceiling speakers (cant remember which ones) and Dennon x3700.

My media room is 4m x 4m ( 13'x13') with an 85" TV.

What subwoofer would you recommend with this system?
    I listened to a JL d108 along side the silvers which sounded ok (nothing to really reference to yet) and a b&w 610.
    Everyone raves about the SVS and the svs site recommended the SB4000 which might just be out of my budget.
    Would love to here your thoughts.
    Cheers

2. Bairdy13

Can a subwoofer be to big or powerful for a room?

3. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

Get one 3000 micro small sub (dual opposed, budget friendly, better wife approval factor, etc, etc) and see how ya like it in your room. When you have more cash at a later time, try and get a 2nd 3000 micro (2 subs can be better than 1).
    https://www.svsound.com/products/3000-micro-subwoofer

Bairdy13 likes this.
  4. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I have an REL T/7x with my MA Silver 300s in a room that’s 18x12. Love it. Very easy to dial in too.

Bairdy13 likes this.
  5. Bairdy13

I had to google Rel as I hadn't heard much about them.
    I found this which explains a bit.
    When I was in the shop there was the B&W aws 610 and I was like sure it sounds good but I can't feel it like the JL. I guess I'm more along the SVS side then but when I get home from work in 4 weeks I'll have to find both Rel and SVS.
    I'm hearing ya with the wife factor, she was like, you know what I'm like with speakers (polar opposite to me) I just said yeah I know and that's why we have more then one TV... you can go watch the smaller one. She took it ok though I haven't told her much I've spent lol.

6. Bairdy13

Does 1 have enough punch to feel in movies? How is it with music? I listen to everything but mainly rock/ acoustic.

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

My living room is 12 X13 (4 X 4.3 m) and I have a 12'' sub no probs. YMMV but yes a sub can overwhelm your room. I'd go with a sealed SVS1000 or a Micro if space is an issue.

8. Cekootje

Cekootje Well-Known Member

I’m actually surprised that you need a Subwoofer with those speakers. When are you missing something?

9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yes absolutely for music. For movies a ported one is better, if you have the space to fit it. I'd go ported in your case, but the 2 sealed ones I recommended are no slouches. The 1000 is the one I'm eyeing in case my current ported (which is amazingly small) gives up the ghost (only one that would fit the coner the JBL is at now) I don't use it for movies but have in the past, and it was an OMG experience with an Iron Man movie.

Slam.

Wisdom.

10. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

of course the site recommends the biggest $$$$ sub.

I have ONE SB1000 Pro and may add a second one, but IMHO a pair of the ported versions of these (for movies) should be sufficient. OK if you’re really into explosions go for 1 or 2 bigger ones.

Bairdy13 and The Pinhead like this.
  11. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I like both JL and SVS subs. I have two JL F112, bought almost 15 years ago, and I recently added two SVS SB-3000. If I were to buy today, I would buy SVS subs, which I think offer better value and better controls. No one can argue with the performance of the JL Fathom subs, but they are quite costly. And IMO, the SVS subs are probably just as good in practical terms, if not in pounds of weight. (I'm talking about subs for music use.)

What will make a setup good is how much care you can put into it and how well you can integrate the subs, not getting the biggest sub around. Unless your electronics include adjustable crossovers, it's important to get those in the sub, so you can try various settings. Also, it's important for even bass response to get a sub or subs with a continuously variable phase control. Finally, two small subs (run in mono or stereo) are likely in most rooms to give flatter bass response than one big one.

Good luck!

Bairdy13 likes this.
  12. Bairdy13

To be honest I really don't know that I will need in the media room as I get them when I get home from work in 4 weeks, however in the bigger room in the shop it went from man these sound nice without a sub to God dam that's amazing.

13. Bairdy13

Thanks guys for the replies. The SB 1000 is about half of that I thought I might spend, the sb3000 was probably my top end budget. Is it worth having a ported and sealed in the mix?

14. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Calvin_and_Hobbes Music Lover

That was my thought as well about whether the lower frequencies that a subwoofer can generate would even be able to propagate in a 13' x 13' room.
    This was a useful blog post discussing minimum room sizes needed to propagate sound waves at different frequencies. Looks like a 13' x 13' room can adequately propagate a sound wave down to about 45 Hz.
    Length of Sound Waves & Wavelengths In Our Rooms – Acoustic Fields

Bairdy13 likes this.
  15. Mike-48

Better IMO to get two SB-1000 Pro than one SB-3000, for bass smoothness and envelopment. That assumes you have funds and room for the two and patience to set them up. Of course, a second sub can be added later.

BTW, both Crutchfield and SVS themselves offer "open box" subs for a little off and ones with minor blemishes for a little more off. I got both of my SB-3000 as open-box units from Crutchfield.

Ported are often recommended for the loudest special effects in movies. Sealed for more subtle integration and more gradual rolloff in the bass. In a system that will be used for music, sealed would be my choice. SVS has a page giving their take here.

16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

A sub can be too large for a room not because of its size but its output. larger more powerful subwoofers can be too loud relative to your main speakers even on their lowest setting ! hard to believe but true.
    that said for home theater use you will probably not notice.
    since your MA speakers play relatively low, e.g. down to 45 hz or so, you want something with a larger woofer and sealed cabinet that can play deeper than a ported sub.
    ported subs also can sound quite peaky- causing one note to sound much louder than the others.
    also to get the most even sound i would recommend (2) subwoofers. in my room with two subwoofers the sound was smoother and more even from deep bass to sub bass using two subwoofers.
    this should be on your budget and will do the job and then some, also not be too much for your room.
    https://www.svsound.com/products/dual-sb-1000-pro-subwoofers

17. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

It is excellent for music. Smaller sub drivers = better matched impulse response with your regular speaker's drivers= better fidelity for music. In addition, this sub has good WAF (very important), bass extension, etc and will be no slouch on bass output for the size of your room...which is why I was hinting that you get 1 first and feel it out for yourself (Return within trial window if it didn't cut it). If you need more thumping for movies, you could add a 2nd one and you would still maintain (as well as enhance) the required fidelity for music. I trialed one for music in my bedroom a bit larger than your room and it could smack/ walk me outta there if I cranked it up. It won't cut it for hardcore hometheater bassheads though, of course (comes down to your preferences). You will need to look at the bigger ported subs if you fall in the latter category.

There is the KEF Microsub as well for music, but, it is double the price.

There is another local brand called Rythmik that I roll with (listed on my profile), but, it will be a poor buy if you are not located in the US.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  18. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Just tested the entry level Arendal 1961 1s sub … it’s brilliant for the asking price. Of course REL, SVS etc are great subs too.

19. Bairdy13

Hey Mike
    I'm starting to lean towards dual sb 3000 for the WAF. What are your thoughts with music and HT?

20. Mike-48

I think they are good subs, and as I said above, the big issue is integration. For music, I've always used high-pass filters on the main speakers's signal and low-pass on the subs's signal. Current, I use the digital crossovers in in an Anthem STR Preamp. I find it important to adjust crossover parameters for the sound I like best. For example, the Anthem lets more of the signal in the 160 Hz range through to the subs than I care for, but it's easy enough to change that.

In a relatively small and nearly square room like yours, it will be important to do all that and to explore different locations for the subs. Personally, I like to use measurements to inform my decisions.

HT I know nothing about. BUT if you are using a good HT receiver, presumably it has good digital crossovers and room correction built in. That will help, and the better that stuff works, the better the sound will be.

I have done a lot of sub integration, but in my own systems only. I am not an expert, just a guy with some experience and opinions. I imagine there is a lot online; and SVS is very helpful.

Bairdy13 likes this.
  21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have a SVS SB16 Ultra I use with my Klipsch Cornwall II. My room is 15x33x8. 3960 cubic feet...

22. Bairdy13

So I managed to listen to the full range of the of SVS except the sb3000 which is what I was looking for. Tried the pb3000 with the ports plugged and it was still very good to make up my mind with the dual sb3000s. I also listened to focal and Rel just not sure what ones.
    So I call up my guy from back home and asked him to order me 2 sb3000s and he said no! Said if I was going to spend that kind of money he would drop $1000aud off a B&w DB2D to match the price of the svs and said if it's not better then everything I just listened to he would get me the dual 3000s.
    There are maybe 2 reviews I can find on it and it's all app controlled.
    what are your thoughts?

23. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

2 is better then 1! Personally I would only buy a sub from a sub specific brand.

24. Bairdy13

Have you heard the B&W DB2D?

25. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

No sorry, only Rel experience here. That doesn't change the fact I would never buy a non sub specific brand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.