What Surround Receiver Also Has Amazing Stereo

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fairaintfair, Aug 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Here's my understanding of methods which will or will not get gapless:

Network connection plays stereo and multi-channel to RCA stereo and multi-channel terminals and is not gapless.

usb B DAC, optical, and coaxial S/PDIF connections play stereo music gaplessly to stereo and multi-channel RCA terminals.

usb drive inputs (2) on back panel and (1) on front panel play stereo and multi-channel music gaplessly to stereo and multi-channel RCA terminals from Folder in Music Directory. Music, Playlists, etc. will not deliver gapless. I have only tested FLAC not tested other formats for gapless. What other Multi-channel download formats will yield gapless, i.e. AIFF, ALAC, etc?

HDMI input plays stereo and multi-channel to RCA stereo and multi-channel music gaplessly to stereo and multi-channel RCA terminals and HDMI audio terminal?

Is my understanding correct? I have not used HDMI for audio pleasure, only connection to TV.

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Old post, but I’d be interested in knowing which 5.1 surround discs are McLover’s favorites, DVD-A or BluRays? How many in his collection of silver, gold, or bronze platters?

3. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul Thread Starter

Fact? No. Better stereo for half the price? It's possible, absolutely. It's also not necessarily true. There are too many variables in this equation for a definitive statement like that.

Why do I think the Anthem delivers a wonderful Stereo sound? Because I have one. Because I can compare it to a very nice stereo system that I own and because I trust my ears and my listening skills. I can offer nothing more. I hope it helps.

My OP was based on some very specific criteria (space being a huge one). All my opinions of the Anthem are based on those criteria.

Cheers!

Brother_Rael and kevywevy like this.
  4. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

You cannot get out of this for cheap. You need either an ADC or an integrated amp with HT bypass.

Vinyl is a money pit, no matter how you configure it.

(Unless you get a Crosley with USB out. :laugh:)

Bill Mac likes this.
  5. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Hey, Sterling. Would something like this work?

Audio Alchemy Digital Line Controller Stereo Preamplifier; DLC; Remote (No PSU) | eBay

As I understand it, I could feed both the TT input and my front and left main channels from the Oppo through the digital line controller input then the output would go into a 5 channel amplifier. If I want to play the TT, I would have it switched that way, otherwise, the switch would allow all 5 channels from the Oppo into the power amplifier (such as the Linn) and then into the speakers. Is that how this equipment works?

6. TSmithPage

Hey, Gardo. I was looking at the specs for the CA CXR 120 (the slightly lesser version of the 200). I note on the back of the unit it mentions 8 ohm minimum impedance. Does that mean it would not work with my 4 ohm requiring Thiels? Otherwise, when the literature discusses wattage with 2 channels driven, that doesn't mean all 5 channels would get power, right? Only that the numbers given relate to 2 channel playback with 5 channels presumably delivering less wattage per channel?

7. TSmithPage

I'm afraid you're right. I just called Music Direct about the CA and the sales guy was concerned about the unit being able to drive my 5 4 ohm Thiels without overheating. So, it looks like I may be back to square 1, which immediately may require buying a 5 channel amp and using the Oppo as the pre amp while I figure out the best way to play my Rega TT. Assuming I go that route, should I be looking at a 7 channel rather than a 5 channel amp so I can (eventually) power my TT? I never appreciated how special my Primare was...

8. gd0

I dunno. That's tough, as you've got several conflicting issues, not the least of which is budget. (Believe me, as The Forum Cheapskate, I sympathize.) Hard-to-drive speakers is another.

It doesn't help that the tech has kept changing (though it's sorta settled now), rendering your nice old gear unable in some areas of function or performance.

It's clear you're looking for "good" equipment, and that's as subjective as it gets. There's no guarantee that an Anthem (or similar) AVR would please you, and there's no guarantee that a Marantz (or similar) AVR would disappoint.

Seems a 7.1 / 7.2 AVR – to do what you suggested, ie, power for vinyl – would be risky, quality-wise.

Enthusiasts have been posting online for years (decades?) about integrating 5.1 and 2.0 within one system, with no easy answers. All you can do is research, speculate, and then audition, preferably at home if possible.

I gave up years ago. Two separate systems, 2.0 and 5.1, in separate rooms.

Resolved.

:bone:

Jam757 likes this.
  9. TSmithPage

Thanks for your input, gdO. I just had an interesting chat with a sales guy at the Music Room. Using these two components:

Audio Alchemy PS2 Power Station Two; PS-2
    Audio Alchemy Digital Line Controller Stereo Preamplifier; DLC; Remote (No PSU)

he thinks I might be able to make a go with it if I hook up the Rega, to the Bel Canto phono stage, to these 2 Audio Alchemy units, to the amp, which would be hooked up to the speakers? and the Oppo, specifically my main 2 outputs/front channels in my surround set up, would also go through the AAs so the TT would play through those speakers if I could switch back and forth? Does that make sense? It's either that or go with an external pre amp and abandon the Oppo thought altogether. Mostly, I want 2 channel playback anyway, but I have enough MC SACDs I want to have that option available. Given the power concerns, I think I'm prepared to buy this multichannel amp at a nice price, to see how the Oppo handles things on its own as a preamp, and then go from there:

nuforce MCA18 880-watt/8-ch. Audiophile power Amp $1400 List ! AUTHORIZED-DEALER | eBay

Worse case scenario, I have a power amp to use on a separate pre amp, and this one looks capable of driving my 4 ohm speakers.

10. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

USB DAC, coaxial, optical and HDMI inputs all send a digital stream into the Oppo, using it simply as a DAC. That means all these digital connections will be as gapless as the player software used on the other end. For me it's Foobar, which plays all kinds of files gapless, stereo and multichannel.

I only have the 105, so I can't speak for the 205, but I early on gave up on the Oppo playing gapless by itself. It's not working if you use it as a streamer and having a large collection of files on a hard drive connected directly to the Oppo is also no option for me, since the Oppo app is far to limited compared to a decent player software (like Foobar for example).

11. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

Why not an AVR? Get one with pre-outs, and a phono input. Even this Marantz is cheaper than what you're considering, but offers analog, digital, and HDMI inputs, phono, pre-outs, and multichannel inputs, for your Oppo. Then, add a beefy amp, if you feel the need?

quicksrt likes this.
  12. gd0

Yes, that's sorta kinda a solution that gets discussed, but here's the catch:

When you're switching back-n-forth from 2.0 to 5.1, you will have to fiddle with the AA volume control (in 5.1 mode) to get a balance with the other speakers. Doing it by ear. Every time.

That will get old. Fast.

You'll soon wish you'd thrown $5000 at this project to make that particular inconvenience go away.

Unless you really, really like to tinker and adjust.

Every time.

13. TSmithPage

At least according to the guy I talked to today at Music Direct, my speakers may be an impediment to an AVR. The Thiels require a lot of 4 ohm wattage, and there aren't many affordable AVRs that offer the type of wattage needed to drive them. That's one of the things that was cool about Primare, and what might ultimately force me to go towards separates at a minimum. For example, the Anthems are apparently rated for 8 ohm minimum speakers so that takes them out of contention for me.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

This is a really feature loaded up AVR and the price is pretty nice on it. Analogue multichannel inputs is not so common either, nice to see that feature offered.

StimpyWan likes this.
  15. You are making this way, way too complicated and it will be a recipe for disappointment and wasted money.

In order to hook your turntable up to the Oppo while using the Oppo as a digital preamp, just about the only one-piece unit out there is the PS Audio unit I linked above. It is a phono preamp with a built-in ADC. You can find them on the used market. If you are set on using your Oppo as a digital preamp, the PS Audio unit is the only one-box solution and is your best bet. I would then sell your Bel Canto phono preamp to offset the cost.

The alternative would be to buy an ADC and hook the analog output of your Bel Canto to the ADC and then the digital output of the ADC to the Oppo. Most ADC’s for sale on Amazon and the like are less than audiophile quality, though.

16. TSmithPage

I hear ya. I think I've been talked out of using the OPPO as the pre amp. I was just searching the forums and was reminded I went through a lot of this same exercise a decade ago,when I bought my Primare SPA 21. I guess 10 years life for a used item that was 5+ years old when I got it isn't too bad, eh? Sadly, my memory has not done nearly as well as my electronics as I completely forgot about all of that past discussion. I was also reminded that I need to make sure I get quality wattage to drive my 4 ohm speakers, which I'm afraid most current integrated AVRs are not going to be able to deliver. So, I'm now thinking I'll just get a quality amp, and use the OPPO as a pre amp for a while as I spend more time hunting for a suitable and high quality pre amp, and then hope to resurrect my Rega in a few months after I finish the OPPO experiment. I'll probably think something different tomorrow. :)

17. TSmithPage

Since I hijacked this thread to discuss my own search to replace my defunct Primare SPA21, I thought I'd close the loop by telling what I ended up getting, which was NOT an integrated amp or surround receiver. Ultimately I was concerned that I could not find a new or newish integrated amp within my 1k budget range that could keep pace with the Primare, especially given my use of 4 ohm speakers. Rather, I ordered a B stock Outlaw Model 5000 5 channel amplifier for $600 shipped (which should power all 5 of my 4 ohm Thiel speakers at 180 watts and power my main 2.3s in a 2 channel set up at a whopping 390w/channel. As I needed a way to also play my Rega TT, I couldn't just live with the Oppo 105 as a preamp, so I elected to buy a vintage Krell HTS 5.1 for $400, which in its day back in 2003 sold new for $6000. This unit actually got better reviews at the time than the less expensive Primare SP 31.7 that I had been considering. All in all, I'm hopeful that the failure of my SPA21 results in a pretty good upgrade to my system overall. I may try to return with my impressions after everything arrives and gets hooked up.

18. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

Couple of questions on the Anthem:

Does it have a true analog passthrough coming from a phono preamp?

What are your impressions of its network streaming capabilities?

19. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Yes it does have analog passthrough. You won't have any sub outs available (bass management requires digitization) if that matters to you.

I don't have an x20 series receiver but on my 710, it has no streaming capabilities. Not sure if they added that, but when I was shopping for a 720, I don't recall seeing that it had any. No big deal to me as I use Roon anyway, but it may matter quite a lot to others.

Edit - just checked their site and the 720 (only one I looked at) does have things like PlayFi and Spotify available, so disregard that last paragraph.

20. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul Thread Starter

I use the conversion for my sub. The Anthem converters are remarkably good.

And I do ever so wish the 720 was Roon ready. Sigh..

21. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

Thanks. I’m looking to upgrade from my Anthem AVM 30 (which I’ve had for over 15 years) to the AVM 60. I’ve read some reviews saying that the latest Anthems don’t have true analog passthrough. I’m aware it has some streaming capabilities and my local store is trying to convince me that I would not need a separate streamer/DAC. Just wondering if anyone has real life experience with streaming using the native capabilities on the Anthem?

22. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Using DTS PlayFi I was able to stream from the PC in the study. I tried using JRiver to play from my media library on the NAS and from Deezer. It worked but I lost interest after trying it once because I already have other streaming solutions and found no interest trying to duplicate them.

Dalziel53 likes this.
  23. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Certainly not saying it's the "best ever" AV receiver or necessarily "amazing", but my Onkyo TX-NR1009 with their "WRAT" amplifier first released in 2011 sounds good and measures pretty well... Could do with less 60Hz hum and higher damping factor I think. A post from today to those interested in measurements:

Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Onkyo TX-NR1009 "WRAT" AV Receiver Class AB Amplifier... Plus Pi / LP / Resolution miscellany.

Might be fun to measure my Yamaha "Natural Sound" receiver at some point also...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  24. TSmithPage

For what it's worth, my initial impressions just using the Oppo as a pre amp with my Outlaw amp is that the sound is a bit on the bright side. It may be the Oppo, the source materials (mostly recent Christmas recordings so far), the interconnects and/or the amp, but the result is that the overall sound quality seems brighter than the sound with my Primare. I have received the Krell pre amp but haven't hooked it up yet, and I'm interested to see how that will affect the overall sound quality of my system. I assume in the overall chain, it would be Oppo (and my Rega TT), then Krell, then Outlaw into the speakers. Would it be possible/appropriate to leave the center and back channels out of the Krell and keep them straight from Oppo to Krell if I wanted or would that be too much trouble with volume control, etc.?

25. Keith Beddard

Keith Beddard Forum Resident

The AVM60 definitely does have a direct, unprocessed capability. You simply set whatever analogue input to be unprocessed. It works quite well as a 2 channel pre-amp. As was previously mentioned, unprocessed means no sub output, cuz everything to do with EQ or room ARC is done digitally, if that matters. I use an AVM60 as a pre-am with my Krell 402e and it sounds very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.