What tagging options are available for new CDs?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Detroit Rock Citizen, Feb 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital Thread Starter

Now that freedb is shut down what is everyone using? What options are available? Self-tagging the new Dylan set was murder.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

What program do you use to rip CDs? I use dbpoweramp and most of the time for new CDs I use the manual feature to copy the disc info over from Discogs.

c-eling likes this.
  3. harby

harby Forum Resident

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I thought somebody else started hosting freedb...? New location...?

5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That's GnuDb
    The new freedb

Dillydipper likes this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

7. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Many of the ripping and tagging programs that are still in active development have updated to switch to using GnuDb instead of Freedb. For example, the latest version of EAC has switched over to GnuDb. The GnuDb How To page explains how to direct Freedb aware applications to use GnuDb instead. GnuDb How To.

Freedb and now GnuDb are nice because they're so easy to add new releases to. However, they have no standard or convention for naming. No editors looking out to make sure the database and naming conventions are consistent. GnuDb is a wild west of naming conventions. Especially for classical.

MusicBrainz has editors and a style book for how to submit. The data is very consistent for naming conventions and what each field is for. Makes the data much more usable. But makes submitting new entries for new CDs a PITA. I love MusicBrainz for getting data. I dislike MusicBrainz for when I want to submit a new CD. I'm learning. I managed to submit a classical CD recently. When I get the hang of it I'll submit more. But dang, submitting to MusicBrainz is difficult enough that it is bound to discourage people from adding to their database.

MusicBrainz Picard is designed to help you use the MusicBrainz database to tag your files and submit new entries. But Picard itself is a confusing application to use. It does not work the way I think it should. MusicBrainz has a quick start guide on how to use Picard. That guide helps you get started. But I still don't like the way the program works or the way the program forces you to work to be able to use it.

I'm making an effort to contribute to MusicBrainz. I don't want to be just a leach of their data. If I'm making this much use of their data I should contribute. I want to. But they don't make it easy.

c-eling likes this.
  8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Right, same here Don, if it's so new it's not in the database yet.
    Feature has been extremely useful for cd singles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.