What the heck is THIS turntable??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by -=Rudy=-, Mar 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Does not even have a platter to it! At $1,999.00 it looks..... fishy, to say the least!

3. -=Rudy=-

It sure stinks like a fish! Looks very home brew to me.

Hey, what is it with Canada and turntables? I see auctions all the time for Dual turntables, and the majority have been from Canada. What, is that the official turntable of Canada? ;)

4. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

A DIY turntable can have excellent sound, but there is no way of knowing that until you actually hear it. Looks like an Ebay version of buying a pig in a poke.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

This is poop. And a lot of work to sell a few pieces of metal and wood. The english language seems to fluff up just about anything.

Most good turntable bases are VERY good at acoustic damping. Regas are suprisingly "dead" and isolated. You need to very little to nothing!

6. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Nah - these are made by Mitch Cotter and have been very well received for a while now - I believe VPI used one of his decks for reference when designing the TNT. I haven't heard one myself (don't know if there are any in the country) but lots of folks out there on the wire appreciate them :)

All the best - Andrew

7. -=Rudy=-

If you search for Denon under "turntables" on eBay, there is a Kenwood direct drive mounted with a Denon arm. I *think* this is the turntable base that was made out of marble...certainly looks it!

That auction for that turntable contraption, though, really could use some better, more descriptive photos! It might be high dollar and noteworthy, but it doesn't look like it in the photos!

8. aashton

That's actually one of the better pictures of a Cotter that I've seen :D :laugh: They all look kind of "functional"

http://www.angelfire.com/music4/audio_visions/gallery/cotter1.jpg

All the best - Andrew

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Dual Turntables

I really don't have too many statistics on these beauties but they were very popular one time in these hear parts. They were a cut above Pioneer, etc. and Dual only MADE turntables (if I remember right). I addition, with each :nauga: :nauga: dual Nauga, you'd get a free cartridge. :cool:

10. -=Rudy=-

That picture you posted at least makes it LOOK functional! :) At least it looks like something I could stick my vinyl on. ;)

11. aashton

Re: Dual Turntables

Gary, I think Dual made the whole soup to nuts of hi-fi equipment - see http://www.compassnet.com/concept/index.html :)

All the best - Andrew

12. -=Rudy=-

Re: Dual Turntables

Yes, I think Dual stuck to turntables. I looked at a couple of Denon turntables today, and they, too, were from Canada. I don't know why there seems to be such a disproportionate number of 'tables from Canada via eBay! One I saw was in Hamilton...could drive there from here. :)

Hey, found a picture of an old Micro Seiki! Always wanted one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3015377065&category=3283

It just LOOKS cool. :D

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Soup to nuts, Andrew? Do you know my Father in law????

I don't remember anything else by Dual in Canada. On the other hand my memory could be going because of .... uhhh, something about .....

.... uhhhh ......

Anyone have a soup recipe with nuts in it?

14. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

In the early 70's I had a Sansui TT while 3 of my friends had Dual's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.