What to do with my Twilight Zone VHS tapes?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

They aren't worth anything. To the Goodwill they go!

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Looks like they have some value on eBay if you have the complete set.

Here's a partial set that sold for around $50 or so:

Vintage The Twilight Zone VHS Collection 25 Tapes 91 episodes! | eBay

People with the full set seem to be asking for around $100-200. Slap your full collection on there for maybe $75 and see what happens. You might be pleasantly surprised. Better than just tossing them.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  3. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hope you transferred them to DVD first. There are hundreds of series in my collection that I recorded on VHS and transferred to DVD that will never come out on DVD nor ever air again. Pretty much every short run or spring tryout show that's ever been on. Then there are the shows that have music replacement. I'm very happy with my Wonder Years satellite masters with all of the music intact rather than the DVDs with replacements. Same for WKRP, Equalizer, Wiseguy, etc. Rare is the series released on DVD that doesn't have some issues with cuts, replacements or some sort of tinkering.

Grand_Ennui and Michael like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I did... some my favorite movies/TV shows that never showed up DVD! Unfortunately most were in thew dreaded SLP mode, but it's still nice having them.

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, at least you got the better of the two tape formats! Guess you knew what you were doing even then!

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh, I spent a ton o' dough on Beta back in the day. But when S-VHS came out in 1988, I threw in the towel and said, "eh, this is a better way to go" and stuck with that for another ten years. And then DVD came out and it kinda evaporated.

7. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That format was a godsend for my video business at the time. But it came and went pretty darn fast. And I'm SO sorry I filmed anything in Hi-8...none of it is playable and I wanted to reedit a film I worked on. I am not happy Sony put out such a destructable format. Filmed a lot of TV shows on that format too. Yuck. Well, talking about derailing a thread!

9. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

The All in the Family sets looked good, better picture quality than the dvds. I don’t know if a higher generation dub was used or what, but they did look better to me. Plus the “From Television City in Hollywood” announcement was not cut off like it is on the DVDs ....

Jrr likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It is possible to play back Hi8, but you'd have to shop around for 3 or 4 different decks to find one where the interchange happened to work. The "auto-tracking" feature of Hi8 and also Digital8 made them problematic.

11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I had two Sony Hi8 players and two or three of the top of the line video editing Hi8 decks and they stopped playing on all of them. A guy that fixes VCR's recently gave me a great tip. He said to buy a cheap used Hi8 video camera and play it back on that. For some reason apparently they have a better chance to play back in those. I also wanted to kick myself in the butt when he said that. I had a three chip Sony Hi8 camera. I've had been saving it forever, and had not used it much before mini DV came out and really gave us a fantastic new tool. I upgraded immediately! So, after keeping this think for years and never using it again, I threw it away last year! Unbelievable. Anyway, I made a documentary and the person has passed on. I would love to re edit it as the best format it was duplicated on was S-VHS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.