What trends have you noticed in the SHF marketplace?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by aoxomoxoa, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky Thread Starter

I have been a member for almost 4 years and have bought and sold a lot of stuff in the classifieds here.
    I have noticed that redbook CDs don't sell like (or for what) they used to , whether it be a gold CD or not. Vinyl seems to be tougher to sell too. Is it the economy? Vinyl from The Stones, Led Zep & Beatles still sell well. Is this a barometer for collecting on a worldwide level?

2. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Don't feel qualified to make attributions as to cause, but I have definitely noticed that CDs do not sell as well, or for what they used to.

If I had to guess, I'd say that others may be making choices such as I have- focus on computer based playback for digital, and stick to vinyl for physical media.

3. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Yeah, I've been here awhile, but haven't sold much lately. Starting a few years ago it became no longer worth my while to fish targets and other interesting cds out of the bins and offer them here.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I have noticed a growing number of hype filled posts, with thousands of words and pictures, to sell what's a pretty common (usually vinyl) pressing at a high price.

Part of the larger shift towards designating each and every vinyl pressing by the comments in the runout grooves and suggesting that by merit of having such info, it's collectible.

5. Gold CDs are not in demand as they used to be, because many in the market for them are waiting for Hi-Rez remasterings.

6. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

Too many bumps without price reductions...

Simon A, rod, AaronW and 1 other person like this.
  7. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

My thoughts (based on 1+ years in the classifieds)..
    • Partially, I think it's because most of you long-standing members have already scooped up the majority of treasure you've been seeking. (Mostly as a buyer here, even I pick up less because it's harder or me to find wish list items)
    • Even though prices are down, I don't feel the deals here are as good as they used to be compared to the going rate on ebay/amazon/et al.
    • Also, as noted previously, lower demand for CD's due to vinyl resurgence, hi-res downloads, and other available options for discretionary entertainment spending.
    • I think the rules here prohibiting negotiable prices on sell/WTB threads certainly limits interest. People love to get a deal, and getting a few bucks off asking price is a big motivator to want to buy. I do understand the flipside in not wanting to make this a craiglist style lowball fest as well, but most on here seem to be knowledgeable about an item's perceived value and therefore presumably reasonable in $$ negotiations.

8. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Yes, and I think there's been some recent jumping-on-the-bandwagon with this approach and taking it right over the top into the realm of jumping the shark..

9. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Very good point - but I think there's a good deal of negotiation that goes on anyway, via PM. Some of those "PM with a question" posts are about item details and such; but I think some of them are negotiations.

I'm not saying the official rules regarding negotiation should be changed; but given that some items probably sell for a bit less than their posted price (because of private negotiations that happen outside the public thread), the "official record" of what various CDs have sold for here in the Classifieds isn't entirely accurate.

10. aoxomoxoa

Yeah I know what you mean. I tried that approach a couple times and for some reason it works.
    I usually go for a more straightforward approach.

11. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Audiophiles are shrinking, its the economy.

Dave likes this.
  12. aoxomoxoa

I don't think audiophiles are shrinking in size, but I do think people are thinking twice before spending $30 or more on discs that they already have bought in one form or other.
    I myself have stopped all buying and will be selling things that I don't listen to. I need the money. I am in commission sales and things are very tough right now.

13. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Just looking at the growth of this place and how it's one of the few messages boards that is not only not dying but growing out of control I think the statement that "Audiophiles are shrinking" is absurd.

For the most part it's all the digital stuff that is easy to copy and download in Audiophile quality that has declined, also the stuff that is only collectibles ie. Targets. People buying and hunting down CDs is the only thing I really see declining.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

...and these changes are driving some members crazy ! The " I can't believe this is still here " posts have increased, and make no difference in those items selling.

A lot of us dinosaurs that prefer physical product already own it, the younger generation are, as has been said above, are buying downloads, and getting what they want in other ways.

Time marches on. 2010 ain't 2014.

mikeyt likes this.
  15. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Why does this of all things bother you? No one's collaborating behind the scenes to get someone to say this in an ad.

16. Myke

I didn't say they were.

17. Combination

Correct - I mentioned it because I'm trying to figure out why someone typing that would bug you. Could just be something on your end, I suppose.

18. aoxomoxoa

You mis read his quote. Read it again.

19. Myke

Could be because it fits in with the rest of this thread. Items don't sell like they used to, so they they remain longer, giving such posts more time to appear, than in years past.

20. Combination

I will say it is a little weird to see things suddenly pop up from 18 months ago or longer!

21. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I see an extremely narrow range of titles that will sell - especially vinyl. Anything outside of the so-called "classic" list, i.e. Stones, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, etc just tend to sit there like a stale biscuit. I often come across interesting titles and just don't bother posting here, which is a shame really. Also, like always, most CD sellers don't bother putting "CD" in the title, while vinyl sellers invariably specify "vinyl". But in spite of these gripes, it is still a vibrant and fun place to hang out, with lots of useful information in some posts. Lastly, I don't agree that the vinyl pressing distinctions are hype. Runout groove information is key to getting a great LP, as most vinyl hounds will tell you.

22. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I have to admit I am a bit mystified by the vinyl ads that feature rare pictures of the band rather than the jacket or the vinyl record. This does not seem to occur with CD ads or at least not to the point it is noticeable. One of the things that is nice about buying vinyl on eBay is the availability of pictures of the actual product being sold. While I'm more inclined to trust sellers on the forum, I still think that for the higher end items, an actual picture of the item for sale would be the most helpful.

black sheriff, Dave, katstep and 3 others like this.
  23. Myke

That's simple. Cassius was selling his vinyl that way, the rare picture of the corresponding band was his style, and there was no question of the quality in his sales. He has always graded conservatively, and the records always arrive better than expected, in pristine condition. His offerings generally sell very quickly, and other vinyl sellers saw this.
    Lacking any imagination, or originality, they began to follow suit.
    Been happening every day for decades, in advertising.

klownschool, AaronW and ellingtonic like this.
  24. aoxomoxoa

Yeah I always laugh when I see a "Cassius" style ad for an LP. Some if these guys try but they can't touch his ads!!

ribors likes this.
  25. Combination

Most people don't though, and I have no idea why. Then you have other people who will take photos, except they only use a cell phone to do this. Super high-res pictures certainly aren't necessary, but a decent photo is quite helpful.

There's one person in particular who takes pictures with a cell phone, but who also posts his stuff for sale while failing to mention that he has the exact same albums up on ebay at the same time. That's a bit...well...

Dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.