What trends have you noticed in the SHF marketplace?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by aoxomoxoa, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

What's that got to do with breaking a rule set by Pay Pal ? They could care less what your intentions are.
    That's like drag racing down a city street with a buddy, and telling the cop it was okay with the two of you.

2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

All you gotta do is keep it as goods and kick in an extra 3 percent or whatever it is. I recently bought an album on here for $150, and that's how I kept everybody happy.

3. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I always ask buyers here not to pay using the "gift" option. While I certainly would love to be able to avoid the PP fees, I'd rather pay them, for three reasons:

(1) My Own Convenience: I use PayPal's automatic shipping tools, which save me a lot of time and hassle at the Post Office - and which allow for electronic processing of Media Mail and First Class parcels, something USPS.com's online tools don't allow. If someone sends me a PP "gift" instead of a PP "payment for goods," then I have to manually process the PP shipping info - and, more importantly, it's a red flag to PP. If I've received a "gift" from someone, and then I immediately turn around and process a PP shipping label sent to that same person, PP will know what's going on.

(2) Buyer Protection: Like Aoxomoxoa, I feel I'm trustworthy as a seller and any buyer with a problem will get satisfaction. However, that shouldn't be my call to make: the buyer deserves PP's Buyer Protection if he or she pays through PP. (And PP also gives me Seller Protection too, although it's less extensive/useful). If the person pays as "gift," they forfeit their Buyer Protection.

(3) Ethics: I've no love for PP (and even less for its parent eBay). But that doesn't mean it's right for me to systematically try to end-run their terms of service.

Oh - and one final note:

I think it was very good of Combination to make that extra payment to cover the PP fees. However, I think if sellers are advertising that they accept PayPal - and in fact, most of the time saying they will accept only Paypal - then they need to eat the PP fees and/or figure them into their asking prices.

4. Myke

I know, I did that as far back as 4 years ago.

5. Combination

You understand everything, godfather.

[​IMG]

6. Myke

Excellent taste in film, though I would've chose a shot including Duvall.

7. Combination

Know your lines and scenes, son. There was a reason for choosing that photo! :p

8. Myke

Well, it's beyond me.

9. Combination

Simply put, it was a joke. Oh well.

10. Myke

At 55, I get very little of today's humor.

11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky Thread Starter

Ok well I guess I will change how I do things. You guys make good points.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  12. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

This is one of the best threads I have seen on here. I have already seen a few classified ads posted that have taken some of the suggestions into consideration.

ellingtonic, tmtomh and aoxomoxoa like this.
  13. aoxomoxoa

The movie is 40+ years old !

14. Myke

Again, has nothing to do with his reference to the film.

15. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Agree with both of these points. I find it annoying when I'm asked by a seller to pay via "gift" option. I haven't (yet) declined to do so, since it doesn't happen to me very often. But I may consider doing so.

The practice of asking buyers to pay pp fees seems ubiquitous on audiogon. Most sellers there include such a provision in their blurbs. Ridiculous, really. I could maybe see splitting the fees since both parties benefit from the convenience of pp, but this is not something I would ask for personally.

mikeyt, tmtomh and ribors like this.
  16. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

You should refuse. All this ends up doing is pushing fees higher and higher for all of us. Eventually they will just get rid of the gift loophole and everyone will suffer.

This is why shipping and handling is now part of eBay fees because so many people abused that loophole.

LordThanos1969 and tmtomh like this.
  17. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Be my friend Godfather. :winkgrin:

I`ve long been looking at this era as the golden age of online transactions.
    I wouldn`t want to give companies or the government any ideas for the commercial future of the internet.(They probably already thought of worse ones)
    I`ll bet 10 or 20 year from now buying and selling will be more inconvienent,time consuming, and regulated.:eek:
    I hope I`m wrong but as the world changes with the times,things may not be as good in the future as we have had them for the past 10 or 15 years.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Exactly why I refuse to send a gift payment. I have encountered a few sellers here who asked me to send a gift payment, and after I explained my position, they were willing to accept a goods payment. In cases where a seller requires a gift payment, I don't bother engaging him or her. There's plenty of other stuff to buy.

tmtomh and ellingtonic like this.
  19. KeithH

I wouldn't bother responding either.

20. KeithH

I think Jorge's point is that someone sending frequent gift payments would raise red flags, especially if they were sent to the same person. How many gifts does the average person have occasion to give, say over a month?

Regarding the policy, of course, PayPal wants their fees. Also, as a seller, it is important to understand that once a buyer sends a gift payment, they have no recourse with PayPal should something go wrong with the transaction. I understand that you are an upstanding seller, but things go wrong, and sometimes, a buyer and seller disagree and cannot resolve the issue on their own. A buyer needs to protect himself.

21. mfidelity

mfidelity Senior Member

I have no problem paying PayPal their fees. They offer a valuable service. It wasn't that long ago we had to wait in line at the post office for a money order or wait for a personal check to clear. Buying and selling on the internet has never been easier and it has a lot to do with PayPal.

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I don't recall getting any laughable offers from postings in SH.tv. However, on eBay, when I accept offers, it happens all the time. If I have something listed for $200 that I know is fairly priced and someone offers me $25, I just block them.

23. If buyers and sellers really want to avoid eBay's transaction fees, use Amazon gift certificates. They can be denominated in any amount and have zero fees for both buyer and seller. Probably a problem for the mega-sellers here, but I think most of the smaller sellers here must use Amazon on occasion.

24. aoxomoxoa

Wow. I just saw
    It apparently does work because I just saw $1 LP go for $24 !

25. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

:agree:...I often accept Amazon Canada GCs from buyers that don't use Paypal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.