What TV shows suffered in the switch from black and white to color?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel1963, Nov 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I grew up in a solidly middle-class neighborhood, but color TVs really did not become common until the mid-late 70s. Many of the parents grew up during the Depression and/or World War II and did not spend on "extravagances" such as a color TV. My dad was a steelworker and WWII vet, but he finally succumbed in 1974 after years of begging from six kids. I think it cost around $450 which was a lot for a blue collar worker, even a union member, in 1974. We would try to guess the color of the cars that stars of the shows drove. If you were not around, you cannot imagine how big of a deal that was back then to get a color TV.

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yeah, Gunsmoke changed it's whole format right before it went to color. The black and white shows were usually written by the wonderfully gritty John Meston and they focused on Dillon and to a lesser extent Chester, Doc, and Kitty. The color episodes were focused on the guest star of the week and Dillon, Festus, Doc and Kitty had little more to do in the episodes than the cast of the Love Boat did on their show. Oh, and Meston's final episodes as a regular writer are before the first color season.

melstapler likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

All of them.

James Slattery likes this.
  4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I would propose that variety shows fared pretty well switching to color. Ed Sullivan and Danny Kaye and Red Skelton, etc., all looked better in their color versions. Game shows too.

Vidiot and Spaghettiows like this.
  5. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

For all the grousing about how bad the color Andy Griffith Show episodes were, the sitcom was the #1 show on TV when Griffith pulled the plug in 1968. Go figure.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  6. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I prefer the color episodes of Daniel Boone, particularly the ones with Ed Ames.

I don't prefer them, but I do think My Favorite Martian made the transition well.

7. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

"The Adventures of Superman" would appear to be the prime example of show that was filmed in B&W only because of budgetary restrictions rather than any "artistic" reasons. Actually, I thought the budget was always low, and yet they jumped the gun on color by a full decade. I find that very strange.

8. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

Yes, the vast majority of black&white movies/TV shows/photographs were filmed that way due to budget constraints (some B&W photos and movies pre-date color technology), and not any sort of "artistic integrity." Remember the world was never B&W.

bmasters9 likes this.
  9. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, there were plans for a third season of the Addams Family, and supposedly it was going to be in color. I'm not sure that would have worked, as the B&W added to the creepy look of the show. And similarly, when they made those Munsters movies right after the show ended, they were in color and looked completely wrong.
    The Addams Family & The Munsters were definitely 2 shows that were meant to be in black and white.

bmasters9 and mikaal like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, it's sobering to reflect that Andy Griffith was in the Top 10 for its entire 8-year (249 episodes) run, which is not something many shows can say. The infamous "Rural Purge" was one reason that the successor show Mayberry RFD was cancelled, along with several dozen other old- or rural-skewing shows in favor of younger, more hip "urban" shows like All in the Family and Mary Tyler Moore. That decision was made by CBS exec Jim Aubrey, aka "the smiling cobra." He was disliked by many in the industry, but from a ratings and profit point of view, ultimately he was correct.

There are all kinds of weird database problems that happen everywhere in life, particularly hugh data conglomerates like TV Guide and the cable-TV program guide sources. I don't think it was done deliberately -- it's just run-of-the-mill incompetence.

TV Guide also had the habit of designating a lot of children's shows as cartoons, when they might actually be live action; Fireball XL-5 and the other early 1960s Gerry Anderson puppet shows fall into that category.

IronWaffle likes this.
  11. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

It was the same w/the 1957-66 Perry Mason on CBS-- there were plans for a 10th go in color, but that one color experiment ("The Case of the Twice-Told Twist") was all she wrote, at least until the abortive 1973-74 Markham New Mason, and the NBC movies going from 1985-95 (26 of them which had Raymond Burr; the remaining 4 after his passing).

melstapler likes this.
  12. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I remember when the first family on our block got a color TV in the late sixties; we all kept going over to their house to watch shows.

Spaghettiows likes this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

My old man was obsessed with color TV. I would guess we had a huge one by around 1966. He had to have it, just like he had to have a Cadillac (albeit a used one),. He got the TV in time for the Rose Parade and invited people up and down the block to come over and watch it. The thing was, he was already known as a mean, nasty man, so very few people showed up. I remember he couldn't believe how people would choose to stay home and watch B&W when color was available. He had no clue how he was hated.
    The second set he bought (wish I could remember the company) was indestructible. After he got his third color monster, the old one went up to my room in the mid 70's. It was still working when I moved out in the early 80's.

Spaghettiows likes this.
  14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

The Black and White Minstrels would have but I think it was no longer made when colour came to Australia in the mid 70's!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Joel1963 likes this.
  15. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

It kept going until 1978, when finally axed. The first series in colour must have been in 1970, after BBC1 went colour at the end of the previous year.

All Down The Line likes this.
  16. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Oh gosh yes! My family converted to colour in 1976. We were one of the last families but a colour tv was expensive and an extravagance. Very working class family. Also we lived in a small town and had exactly one tv station so that made it harder to justify. Still it was great when the switch happened. We plunked the 19 inch colour right on top of the console tv / stereo and it held that position until my parents sold the house.

Regginold31 and Spaghettiows like this.
  17. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

Aubrey can be blamed for a lot of things, but the rural purge was not one of them. He actually greenlighted the rural fare that CBS's 1960s ratings dominance was built on. Despite his success, he was fired by CBS in 1965, years before the "purge." Fred Silverman was the "villain" in the rural purge, at least at CBS.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    bmasters9 and buzzzx like this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not according to Wikipedia:

CBS vice president Michael Dann personally disliked the dominance of rural-oriented programming; he nonetheless believed that the programs brought high total viewership and did not care about demographics. Dann's superior, CBS president James T. Aubrey, likewise believed rural sitcoms were a crucial part of the network's formula for success, noting that at the time, advertisers wanted the audience that watched rural sitcoms. Robert Wood, a later president of CBS, pressured Dann to cancel the rural programs.

It does go on to say:

The purge was instigated by CBS executive Robert Wood who replaced longtime CBS programming head Michael Dann with Fred Silverman, following research highlighting the greater attraction to advertisers of the young adult urban viewer demographic.

So let's just say it was a combined decision from a lot of CBS execs, but it started with Dann and Aubrey.

Rural purge - Wikipedia

bmasters9 likes this.
  19. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

This has always driven me nuts. I've actually given up the practice of "volunteering" my services although last year I couldn't stand it anymore.
    I was at a friend's house, who's TV always looked terrible. I said "where's your damn remote, I can't take this anymore").
    His contrast was always set so high, fleshtones were always blown out with no saturation. Why some people think that looks good is beyond me.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Vidiot and bmasters9 like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You are doing God's work. On behalf of the entire Hollywood community, we humbly thank you.

seacliffe301 and carrick doone like this.
  21. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

I remember there was one episode of MASH that was filmed in black and white.

22. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

Bewitched, The Andy Griffith Show, and The Beverly Hillbillies.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

none...it was most exciting back the to see my favorite shows finally in "Living Color"!

24. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Pretty sure The Munsters was only B&W for the series, but the movie was in color.

25. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Andy sold out! :biglaugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.