What Type Of Cassette Deck do you own?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Evil Strawberry, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Yes it does. :agree:

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

No doubt you are not using one of the current production preamps since none will have any tape loops ...

3. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I've the ARC LS17 and the current version LS17SE still has the tape loops.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  4. coopmv

Very few though and it is impossible to find any current production preamp with a pair of tape loops ...

sunspot42, macster and GyroSE like this.
  5. AndyP79

AndyP79 Well-Known Member

I got a Kenwood KX-W6030 dual deck. It's hooked up to an ADC SS-215 EQ and a Sony STR-DH190 amplifier. Plus a CD changer and turntable. It sounds good for the most part, but on deck A, when it flips for auto reverse, it has a bit of a him, no problem on deck B though, so I usually just play cassettes there. Maybe when I move in the spring I'll find someone to do a restoration on it.

Guitarded likes this.
  6. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

Personally, I would use it till it quits, then look for a nice single deck. Unless you do a lot of dubbing of course.

Guitarded likes this.
  7. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Regular low milage Sony... works fine.

8. AndyP79

AndyP79 Well-Known Member

That's probably what I'll do. And probably the best advice.

9. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

I just picked up a Denon DRW-585 at a garage sale over the weekend and been very impressed with it.
    It was in like new condition, works and sounds great. I've been listening to many cassettes since and I will say some sound very impressive, others not so much and some not at all (that's just pre recorded tapes), but the good sounding ones were very impressive, so much so I A/B'd the best ones to my favorite record and cds versions and the results were better then close.
    It doesn't always work or turn out that way and I've had and still have some good sounding decks, it's the working part that degrades.
    My Sony 3 head dolby S unit had the shortest life but still have it stored away (that's why can't remember model#)

My JVC TD-W505 still works (I have had since new in 90/91? It's seen a lot of use and performed really good doing so) ) but after an hour of use now it makes noise though not audible through speakers, but still, that is not a good thing.
    And lastly (at the moment and in use) my Pioneer vintage CT F500 works fine and makes good sound.

Tape decks are like any other piece of gear, most all sound different even if in top working condition.
    Being that I have over 200 pre recorded cassettes and another 200 or so of my own recordings (more of those being my own stuff), I always have back up decks and pick up units when I have time to search for.

Pre recorded tapes are hit and miss regardless of how great of condition they appear to be in, but when they are a hit they are great to listen to and telling some of the results can be like telling some I've seen a UFO, but every now and then I play one for some and they get same thought "I can't tell somebody this" It's like a poof moment :wtf:
    Enjoy em if you got em and can :righton:

mktracy, AndyP79 and clhboa like this.
  10. Coypu

Coypu Forum Resident

Denon DRM-540 x 2
    One in home recording studio and one in main listening room.
    Great warm sound on pre-recorded tapes and recorded tapes.

11. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Harman Kardon DC 5300 Dual Cassette Deck. My first dual deck player.

12. ajawamnet

ajawamnet Forum Resident

Yea - Tandbergs are fun to repair. Did a lot of those back in the day.

In fact, I recently saw a post from Phil, one of the sales guys I used to work with. He recalled a story on how they improved the 3014 capstan from some info I'd given them on failures I was seeing in the 440's -

Pittsburgh, Pa. Audio Scene 1970's

If you go to that link - scroll up to see the cassette torque meter I still have from back in those days... Great for detecting worn clutches and setting the tensions on three motor transports.

The crossfield TD20A reel to reels were even more fun to fix. Lots o' funky going on there...

Thing about repairing any type of tape deck is getting alignment tapes.
    Alignment tapes are only good for a limited amount of plays. They're cut full track so you can set azimuth correctly.

And the issues with sticky shed suck:
    Sticky Shed Syndrome and Tape Baking
    tho that's more for pro audio reel to reel - tho some of the old MRL alignment tapes I had went sticky... not sure why.

I recall PRB - Projector Recorder Belt was a good source for rubber stuff - belts, pinch rollers, etc...

Nowadays I send gummy PR's to Terry's Rubber Rollers Terry's Rubber Pinch Rollers & Wheels

13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

14. coopmv

I still have my Tandberg TD20A, which I have not played in a number of years ...

15. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Kyocera D-801, works perfectly. It's in the closet :hide:

[​IMG]

macster, mktracy and AndyP79 like this.
  16. coopmv

So Importcds is now running a cassette tape sale. Do people still have operating cassette decks to play the tapes ... :confused:

Are cassette tapes making a big comeback?

Cassette Tape Sale on ImportCDs

17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Crosley is in the cassette player game that should say something. Unfortunately there are no audiophile decks being manufactured by anyone in 2019.

18. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I own the type that sits in my closet unplugged. It's a Yamaha.

19. coopmv

Strongly :agree:

20. Olecranon

Olecranon Forum Resident

I've collected a lot of mid level decks over the years. Right now I'm sitting on a Nakamichi BX-125, BX-300, 480, 482. and a 582. I also have a Yamaha K-700, NAD 6300, and an Onkyo TA-2800.

Now I've decided to go a different route. I recently picked up a CR-7A and a ZX-7 so it's time to get rid of them all except for maybe the NAD 6300 and the BX-300.

21. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Good choice on the CR-7A! I have one, bought brand new, no problems, sounflds great too! Also have a Nak 680ZX.

macster likes this.
  22. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

The recent corona lockdown has afforded me the time on my hands to develop a lust for reel-to-reel decks and also pine for the days of cassette recording so I've some real gear-envy whilst reading this thread!

Back in the day I owned a Yamaha KX-580SE that, whilst not 'high end' like many of the decks mentioned here, used to make nice dubs from cd to metal cassettes. By the early 2000s with a CD burner, I felt it was superfluous to requirements so sold it and got shot of all my cassettes (pre-rec and the home made ones). I wish I still had it now :oops:

Alas as a self-employed person, the corona lockdown has also had the affect of obliterating me (financially, not physically) so right now spending money on either R2R or a cassette deck is but pie in the sky :(

Memphisflash and jusbe like this.
  23. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

Cassette decks are dime a dozen on ebay. Many good ones for well under $50.. But you will need to learn some basics of how to fix them up.. At a minimum you will likely have to adjust speed and maybe azimuth...

PhilBiker likes this.
  24. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Really? I got the impression that the prices of cassette decks have shot up in recent years...?

jusbe likes this.
  25. coopmv

I hear you. The pandemic is doing lots of financial damage to lots of people worldwide. Many retirees, yours truly included, have seen retirement income such as stock dividends having been eliminated by most of the European companies I have invested in ... :(

PhilBiker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.