What type of chair do you use to listen to music?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jsr, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I have 4 systems in my main house. With three of them, I'm in a love seat. With the other, I'm in bed. ;)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Does that involve love too?

3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Music is love. :)

4. Zimbad

Zimbad Forum Resident

I’m looking for a new chair To replace the old one in the music room.

5. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

I’m easily pleased...

[​IMG]

jonwoody, Ingres3225, Tim 2 and 8 others like this.
  6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

7. jcn3

jcn3 Forum Resident

i'm predisposed to this chair also!

caracallac likes this.
  8. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Im wondering, are there any specially made chair for HiFi rooms?

Im thinking something thats got comfort but is not too soft as to soak up all the bass.
    And a headrest that is small so your ears arnt up against a wall reflecting sound.

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

My first choice would be the first one, up there in Post #2...only with the wood on the side coated with one surface of velcro, to dampen the reflections. :p

:idea: -OH! And replace the teal cushion with a nice, dark magenta (covers up the wine stains more efficiently ;) ).

10. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

caracallac likes this.
  11. backeast

backeast Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Recently ordered one of these. Covid makes my delivery wait over 2 months. It was comfy at the showroom. I’m not a fan of headrests when listening to audio.

Yellow Rubber Jacket and timind like this.
  12. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Eames chairs are wonderfully comfortable and beautiful ... BUT I have never thought of them as good for listening to stereos. I sit in one often at my friend's, but I notice some big disadvantages for stereo listening, just watching TV or movies from that chair.

First, your head rests against the wide back of the chair, so your ears are just off a wide, padded wall. That noticeably affects the sound. If you are pretty tall, then your head (or at least the ears) could clear the back of the chair. But then you should consider getting the larger model to get the full Eames effect.

Second, you sit very, very low in an Eames chair, which affects where your ear level is to your speaker tweeters.

[​IMG]

Encore and DaveyF like this.
  13. timind

timind phorum rezident

We had a couple chairs just like that a few years ago. They weren't leather, and yes, they were extremely comfortable.

The Ikea Poang has been my favorite for quite a few years. It's comfortable enough without inducing sleep. I have a couple throw pillows on mine to raise my ears up to proper height for speakers.

Tim 2 likes this.
  14. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Another vote for the Ikea Poang. I've spent a lot of time listening to music and reading while sitting in mine.
    [​IMG]

15. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

My knockoff must be different - I’m only 5’10” and the back comes to the top of my shoulders and my ears are 38” from the floor. I’d have to really slouch to have the top cushion at ear height, to the point where it would be uncomfortable.

16. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

At just under 6’2 tall I can’t say I’ve noticed a problem with the headrest, although you’re certainly correct about the tweeter height. To accommodate that my Proac Response d2s are on slightly shorter stands than is usual to get an exact height match.

17. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

An Eames chair makes you feel like you are somewhere between sitting and laying down, while cradled in a baseball mitt. :agree:

The "real" Eames chairs, made by the Herman Miller furniture company, are ungodly expensive, so many people do have replicas. The replicas can vary a little bit or a lot from an original in seating position and height.

This webpage has photos of one replica (Plycraft) versus an original. You can see how very different the seating height (and seating position) is between this particular replica and original.

This webpage has a photo of two excellent replicas, Urban Furnishing and Rove Concepts, where someone has drawn a bright green line to compare the angle of the back of the two. You can see that these two replicas differ a bit in how further back or upright the seating position is. That website also has the dimensions for a real Eames chair here, in case anyone with a replica is curious how close their chair is in height.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  18. farfetched

farfetched Well-Known Member

I prefer folding chairs. But folding chairs are often creaky and the metal bends and the chair simply is not rigid.

Churches and funeral homes sometimes have the sense to buy quiet folding chairs. I have picked up two. They are 1979 Samsonite model 5611. These are restored versions on etsy, not mine -- mine are all original everything, in VG+ condition:
    [​IMG]

Sitting down on this chair is as silent as a tomb. Stone silent. You never really know what "silence" is until you sit in a no-compromises folding chair. And that is exactly what the 1979 Samsonite model 5611 is.

No creaks. You can shift position and it is quiet. The slight padding is silent and never "sticks" to you unless the humidity is really nasty. If silence were a chair, I am guessing this is basically what it would look like.

And that is my listening chair. Dual back struts, welded not screwed (important! Screws loosen), sturdy ply wood seat, mild padding, silicon feet and leg joints.

grx8, nick99nack and 33na3rd like this.
  19. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident

Ekorne Stressless.

jonwoody, wgb113 and Squiggsy68 like this.
  20. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

I have an issue whereby my chair would take up too much room if it was any larger than the Poang I’ve used for years now.

BUT I’ve got a Boston Terrier that would LOVE to cuddle with me while I listen to music. :love:Currently she just pops under the ottoman with the blanket covering all sides. My room is an ungodly 12x12. I’m sitting 1/3 in off the back wall. Speakers are equal distance across from me and one another. I have all the required bass traps/reflections etc covered. I’d love to pick up the a relatively small IKEA modular chaise but it would stop length-wise just before the speakers(or maybe right in between). Floor is carpet. I’ve put off pulling the trigger because I’m guessing I’d be sacrificing some of the work I’ve put into the room for dog cuddles. An Eames knockoff-if no pooch would be the ideal.

WapatoWolf and wgb113 like this.
  21. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

You have a boston terrier....so i have to agree with anything you say:)

wgb113 and RobCos02330 like this.
  22. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

Two actually! But only one comes upstairs to the music room. She shadows me. Her sister cuddles up to my wife in front of the tv downstairs.

Always nice to bump into another Boston Terrier owner!

wgb113 and Glmoneydawg like this.
  23. guitarguy

guitarguy Tone Meister

[​IMG]
    Bradington-Young Roswell.

My wife wanted me to have a nice recliner - I was skeptical but after 5 years I would not give it up.

33na3rd likes this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I would use a chair to listen to music...but my receiver doesn't have a jack to plug it in! :mudscrying:

25. guitarguy

guitarguy Tone Meister

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.