What type of mat helps produces the most accurate sound?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by John Fontane, Dec 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Absolutely. There is never an easy, one size fits all, solution to which mat to use on your turntable as there are so many different types of turntable materials and qualities. For those that have a relatively heavy acrylic platter and a heavy main bearing, they might find that they prefer the sound without a mat if they can keep the platter clean. That would be an annoyance for me and I would probably still use a decoupling, isolating mat such as felt on such a table just to avoid scratching records. That doesn't add much to the sound of the table.

I also enjoy using the felt mat on the heavy glass platters of Rega tables for the same reason. It's just an easy to use system and has no down side for me.

If a turntable has a metal platter, most makers will supply a rubber mat. That is to damp ringing and it's a very important part of the system. It can still be seen as somewhat harder than soft and so one still has to be careful to keep it clean and spin the platter down when changing records. So for metal platters, unless they are extremely thick and relatively dead, they should always be used with a rubber mat IME.

Glass and acrylic platters lend themselves to experimentation and cork or paper can be used as well as rubber, not for deadening purposes but just to hear how the surface changes the character of the delivery of sound from the record. I have experimented with many materials on Rega tables and on a few other tables having metal and acrylic platters. Each material imparts its own sonic reflection into the Lp. IME, the harder the material used, the more the resulting sound can be described as hard, bright, dynamic, etc. And likewise for softer materials, the scale works in the opposite direction of sounding soft, warm, full, dull, etc. While these differences are audible on a nice turntable through a very nice system, the differences are subtle.

For those with cheaper turntables with light and thin platters, it's best to save up for a better turntable than to add to the expense of the current one by buying platter mats. It won't elevate performance to another level of table, it's just a mat. My advice when a nicer table is not an option is to buy a nicer cartridge or cleaning supplies rather than another mat.
    -Bill

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I've good luck with a cork mat. I feel it tightened up the sound.

c-eling and John Fontane like this.
  4. John Fontane

John Fontane Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Heckto35 likes this.
  5. John Fontane

I purchased a rubber mat and with the exception of when I use it with super-bright records, I don't like it very much. I also bought an acrylic mat and it sounds a bit too hard for my taste. Do you think a leather mat would be any different sound-wise than a stock felt mat?

6. I too have tried many mats. The one which gave me the best results is the Vibro Stop mat which looks very similer to the one you use. I really rate it. Better than anything else i have tried.

7. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

I was considering a mat as well, currently using the VPI felt that came with my Prime Scout. But I did notice that while I do have the detent in the center, there is no raised outer edge on my platter, it's just smooth...

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Agree 100%. This is why I run stock rubber mats.

Also agree. I don't know why people think changing out a mat is going to result in some kind of audio revelation. For a lot of TTs, all it's going to do is change the VTA a little bit. Depending on the cartridge, it might not make much of a difference at all. A better cartridge, a real cleaning system, or better speakers are better investments.

9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

No mat if you have a plastic/vinyl platter.

10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Are you talking about the LP-120? That should have come with a thick rubber mat IMO. The stock felt mat is cheaper but just doesn't suit the light metal platter on that model. A heavy rubber mat is needed on these as it helps keep the platter resonance from getting into the Lp. The problem is that not only does it deaden platter ringing, it also deadens transient response via the cartridge and Lp surface as it blurs the resonances both ways. These tables have very poor feedback look resistance (between motor - platter - plinth - arm). The felt mat decouples rather than couples so it has a more dynamic sound, yet it doesn't help absorb the platter and arm resonances. Since you have both the rubber and the felt mats, it might be preferable for you to place the rubber mat on the platter to damp it, and then the felt mat on top of that to help break the coupling of the record and platter. beyond that, I think my earlier advice to just move on to another table or cartridge is the best path forward. Mats are not going to change those two items.
    -Bill

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. John Fontane

Yes, the LP120. I tried stacking the two but didn’t really like the sound. There may have even been some distortion. Anyway, thank you for your responses! Edit: I actually havent tried stacking the felt ontop of the rubber (stacked the other way around).

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  12. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

$20k worth of player but it's the $4 mat that makes it sing! (wink) Love our hobby!!

Mike from NYC likes this.
  13. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I love this hobby too, but that's not a $4 mat either. :tsk:

F1nut and thxphotog like this.
  14. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I bet it costs $4 to make. :) (and of course I realize that. Nothing in this hobby is!) BTW, STUNNING piece of gear!

patient_ot likes this.
  15. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

raised edge is on the LP

McGuy likes this.
  16. McGuy

damn I'm dumb... :)

17. Zatoichi

Zatoichi Forum Resident

I also have the LP120, first table I bought, never researched it, wish I did. After doing all the mods and replaced the anti-skate spring, its not that bad for the price. Not much VTA adjust ability unless you use thicker or multiple mats to raise the height of the platter. I use heavy rubber bottom with a hudson hifi acrylic on top. works fine for my needs.

John Fontane likes this.
  18. McGuy

I guess I'm going Matless since Mat W says no mat on the VPI...darn, was itching to blow some money...

Roycer likes this.
  19. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Mats are turntable dependent. I don't use one on mine, nor is it recommended. The platter is acoustically-dead Delrin (POM), and I use a clamp and ring to improve it.

SandAndGlass, John Fontane and McGuy like this.
  20. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

I have a Redpoint Model D TT and I don't use a mat, however there is a 2" thick piece of black teflon screwed into my platter with 64 2.25" screws. I love the sound and have no desire to try a mat. When I had my VPI Scoutmaster I didn't use a mat with it and loved the sound...

John Fontane likes this.
  21. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I tried a Herbie's mat 10 years ago on a Sony PS-X60 The TT & cartridge was not good enough to accurately hear the difference in mats. I have a Luxman PD-272 & VM540ML that should be detailed enough to hear mat differences. It has a stock felt mat. What should I get for an upgrade?

22. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

They do however supply a cheap gaudy felt mat with the table. I replaced it with a flat 1.5mm cork one. Ah, much better

McGuy likes this.
  23. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Whatever type best keeps the record from moving, resists the transmission of vibration from platter to record, damps any vibration from stylus to record. My personal best experience has been with Herbie's Grungebuster, which I use on a Merrill table with an acrylic/lead platter -- I think what table and platter you're using a mat on matters as much as anything in choosing a mat. I like it better than mat-less and it's so good that honestly the difference between it and clamped to the matless platter is not really material.

I've always been curious about the vinyl, acrylic or vinyl-like mats but never tried one. Never much liked anything about felt mats -- especially not the static problems.

To me also, I also think a lot of people, when they first hear something that's pretty well damped, think "Oh, something's missing, " but what's missing is less ringing, and likely you're getting more accurate sound, even if people sometimes prefer more ringy, lively sound, or get used to more ringy, lively sound, or tune their systems around that liveliness.

John Fontane likes this.
  24. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I use the stock rubber mat on my Kenwood 750s. In the manual they give a very detailed report on how they developed the mat - thickness, style and composition.

25. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

It's unobtanium now but the vintage Sony OL-2K gel/oil filled rubber mat is pretty awesome. Mine is only about 95% flat but it sounds great on the turntables I've thrown it on. Anyone have a modern equivalent?

I have a contradictary opinion but even the thick version technics stock rubber mat doesn't do it for me.

Platter Mat Shootout!- Vinyl Engine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.