What vintage amp/preamp do you have/want?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by coopmv, Mar 18, 2017.

1. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

My McIntosh C34V and MC2105.

2. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Still rocking this amp? Found one on the local Craigslist for $1100, not a ton of information out there on them. Any new input? Thanks!

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011 Thread Starter

[​IMG]

FuzzyNightmares likes this.
  4. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

5. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

AVI S2000P/M2000 MONO
    BLOCKS.
    Rather good

6. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Very nice! I have a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 on the way, but mine has the black face plate, not gold like yours.

Oddiofyl, SteveFord and Boltman92124 like this.
  7. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Marantz Model 140 (1976-77):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a walnut case for it on the way from Germany. Updated pics when it gets here.

8. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

McIntosh MA6400 is in my budget if I sell off what I have.

9. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

This is a great preamp and highly desirable too. Love your Nagra IV. I had a III when I worked on documentaries in the 1970s.

10. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I have an 8100 used as a preamp for my old Magnavox tube amp. Nice!

11. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

McIntosh MA6400 integrated

12. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I've this one ..which has a channel imbalance issue so isn't in rotation at present awaiting funds (spent too much on TPs ,Classics and the Verve Chad Reissues) to have it looked at and get this beauty back in harness ...10watts of Class A is sublime ..

[​IMG]

Petie53 and Just Outlaw like this.
  13. coopmv

Love these old-time integrated's with the tape loops. It is almost impossible to find any new models with even one tape loop ...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    Swann36 likes this.
  14. Johnny YesNo

Johnny YesNo Forum Resident

My brother just gifted me a Threshold CAS 1, sorry I cannot get the picture to upload. It needed some minor work and is now sounding amazing. I need a preamp since I'm using my Denon PMA 920 integrated amp in that role now. The Schiit Freya + sounds really great from all the reviews I've read and watched. I want that holographic tube sound and the Freya + is the right price, how do I know if it's a match for the CAS 1?

15. coopmv

[​IMG]

Johnny YesNo likes this.
  16. starkiller

starkiller Forum Resident

Want the Apt Holman preamp again...twas magic with the LS3/5A's i had eons ago...

17. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

If I had the original Mullard 5-20 Power Amplifier they built to introduce the EL-34 Tube back in '55, I'd post this picture:

[​IMG]

But instead, because unless it's pretty, I don't go for vintage that hasn't been updated to incorporate the latest technology as was done to that Mullard circuit by an all-star cast at diyaudio.com to become 4-60. Zoftig power supply with soft-start, Solid State regulated Constant Current Source, Solid State Rectification, 60 Watt per channel KT-88s, and Walnut, lot's of Walnut. Which mono blocks I've likely shown off too many times here already:

[​IMG]

18. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

@coopmv for the purpose of this thread, what qualifies as vintage? I have been hesitant to post my current power amp of choice because it won't turn 20 years old until mid-July 2022.

19. coopmv

Most of the posted models are from the 90's or earlier ...

20. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

I think it may have been introduced in the late-90s, but my particular sample dates to mid-2002. I'll save it for another thread - or wait 10 years and post it here!

21. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I guess at this point it's vintage...... my Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 preamp. I wanted one bad when they were new, but that was a lot of $$$ in 93 being newly married , kid, mortgage, etc..... it really wasn't a lot for what it was but it was like spending $3k today.

MCM_Fan likes this.
  22. MMan1

MMan1 Forum Resident

I have an Proton AV300 amp with a pair of Polk Monitor 10B speakers. Not any of it crazy expensive at all and and sounds great with the "Power on Demand" back up internal power supply. Just can't figure out how to load a pic here.

23. coopmv

I have Sonic Frontier Line 1, which I bought used around 2005 and it is a very nice preamp. Unfortunately, its optical encoder (that controls the volume) went bad. I exchanged email with the founder of Sonic Frontiers (which was owned by Anthem, which was also bought out by Paradigm) and he had the parts, which I never ordered as soldering is required and I do not have that working knowledge. So the preamp has been disconnected and collecting dust since that volume control could go crazy (up and down) in the middle of play. I think that output 'Parts Connection' may no longer be around as my bookmark has turned up nothing.

Yes, all Sonic Frontiers gears are vintage as the company stopped operating by 2000.

24. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

The name of the company is Parts Connexion. They are still around and still service/upgrade the Sonic Frontiers preamps.

Their wesite address is: partsconnexion.com

And you can reach the owner, Chris Johnson at:
    [email protected]

25. coopmv

Thanks for this link. I will check with Chris Johnson as the latest image for the optical encoder is a bit different from what I saw a while back. The previous model requires some soldering but it is not clear if this one is just plug and play ...