What vintage receiver do you have/want?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Nov 23, 2014.

1. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Hi MrR,
    Take a look at my Harman Kardon in post #35 - a tad bit dim in the center. It's been a while since I had the hood off, but if memory serves me well, it uses 4 or 5 of the fuse style bulbs(two maybe three are ka-poot), and as BKphoto pointed out, these are definitely a pain to replace; hence, the dim display :)
    FWIW, folks that are restoring their vintage gear are replacing the stock bulbs with LEDs. I guess that's something to think about if you're handy with an iron, or choose to outsource the repair.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have my first amp in my second system now. It's an Acoustic Research Integrated, advertised as 50w/channel but I was told by someone who ran tests on it during a repair that it's actually 62w/channel. Anyway, it's pretty basic with only a few nobs but I like it's austere look. It has always sounded very good to me and served me well for twenty years I think. I call upon it from time to time but it's mainly an emotional attachment although one does need a second system for emergencies. It's perfect in that regard.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  3. robargebl

robargebl Forum Resident

Fisher 500c completely redone by Craig @ NOS Valves, it's in my only system. Love it.

4. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I wouldn't mind the LED conversion, I've seen some bad ones but there are kits that can retain the look of the original. They run cooler and last longer, what's not to love. The heat of the bulbs in the Marantz actually yellows the vellum paper diffuser, turning the light from blue to green. I hear the LEDs a manage to restore the blueness and prevent the yellowing, so I definitely intend to get it done on that one.

When I had the McIntosh serviced I actually requested that the bulbs be changed out because I felt they were a bit dim, and I mentioned I'd prefer LED if that's something they could do… but they weren't replaced at all. Not sure what to make of that.
    Some people hate the idea of doing anything that makes these anything but stock, and I can agree with that to a point… but I don't see the big deal about bulbs. They run cooler, they draw less power, and they last longer. So long as the appearance doesn't significantly change, I'm all for it. Especially if it means they'll spend less time on a workbench and more time playing music.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I want my Marantz 2225 back that I gave away years ago!

7. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Finally got a McIntosh 4275 off eBay for a very fair price about a year ago. I use it as a preamp and have a Meridian amp connected to it. Sounds great with an Oppo and a Music Hall TT along with Ohm tower speakers.

8. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

mine has a LED upgrade, plus the custom blackface, not really a stickler for "gotta be stock" I just want it to sound and look good...

CrazyCatz likes this.
  9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Flawless, mint fully maintained Marantz 2252.
    Been in a box for a while. I want to sell it but just can't seem to get around to it :)

[​IMG]

10. avanti1960

Love the Pioneer. I can't believe I pitched one similar after replacing it with an AVR in the '80s.

Daedalus likes this.
  11. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Thanks avanti:
    I was working in the yard a few years back, when a neighbor friend pulled up in his truck. I watched as he walked around to the passenger door, and could see he was struggling to pull something from the front seat (he had his spine fused three times!). I ran to rescue his attempt, and there sat the Pioneer. He told me: "Still works,
    just don't have a need for it anymore, and thought you may want it."
    "Well, let me think about it for a ... OK!"
    Thank you, brother!

12. avanti1960

wow!

CrazyCatz likes this.
  13. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I use this vintage (1973) Sansui receiver, model QRX-5500, as the heart of a 4-channel system in my study/library. Looks, works, and sounds just great. But it does take up some serious space; that face is nearly two feet across. Never had a bulb burn out (knock on wood).

[​IMG]

BDC, billnunan, SillyRabbit and 18 others like this.
  14. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

I'm rocking a h/k 730 with some 79 Klipsch La Scala's, really like the synergy!

Some really nice stuff in this thread, awesome to see the older equipment.

roverb and Daedalus like this.
  15. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Well my olds(not sure if Vintage? ain't been able to date it yet, but gotta be over 20yrs old?) Yamaha DSP-E200 Dolby Surround Sound unit turned up today, not had chance to setup.. But very happy with 1st impressions.. .. Movies are about to explode outta tha Screen, not to mention Gigs,Concerts' on DVD.. Yeah I know its not D.D. Tbh Dolby Surround is enough for Me..

16. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

If I ever get the luxury of a dedicated audio room, I'd love to have a Marantz 2285b.

bluemooze and CrazyCatz like this.
  17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Been enjoying my Carver 2000 for years.

18. pez

pez Forum Resident

I had a brilliant trio solid state amp.. until it died :(

CrazyCatz likes this.
  19. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

I have a Sherwood 7100a and a Sherwood 7200. But my favorite is a Marantz 26. I originally bought it because it was so well taken care of, even the box is in great shape, but I just fell in love with it. I'm sure there are much better systems, but I love it - the sound, the look, the feeling of the push buttons.

Gang-Twanger and CrazyCatz like this.
  20. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Well I've searched, downloaded Pdf Manual.. NO dates anywhere? Did on another forum see a Poster state tha DSP-e200 was his 1st taste of Surround Sound 23 years ago!! Posted in 2015.. So that puts tha DSP-e200 @circa 1992 ..same year My lad was born..

21. avanti1960

i didn't know what the 26 looked like until i looked it up- it's nice, i really like it. same basic marantz styling but with narrower tuning dial- more sleek and understated. it actually looks more up to date / contemporary than the later big dial models.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  22. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

I have a Fisher 500B and a Pioneer SX-1080. I want to upgrade the Pioneer to either a 1280 or 1980. I also need to get some speakers for my Fisher... Maybe some AR3a's or JBL 4310's

Gang-Twanger and Daedalus like this.
  23. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

No receivers but I have these instead. ...
    Pioneer SA-8800 integrated
    Pioneer SA-9500 II integrated
    Marantz 1152DC integrated
    Marantz Model 3200 pre amp
    Marantz Model 140 power amp

CrazyCatz likes this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That is a beautiful machine!

25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

Ditto