What vintage receiver do you have/want?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Nov 23, 2014.

1. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

PM me for more details, but I had Hi-Tronics in Ottawa do the work.

2018 was my stereo / hi-fi restoration / refurbishment year, and I had several pieces pass through their shop besides the SX-750, including two NAD power amps, a Hitachi amp, a Sherwood receiver, a Pioneer RG-1 dynamic range expander, a Nak and an Akai cassette deck, and probably something else that I've forgotten.

Jeff

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  2. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I've always had a thing for the Marantz 2270 with the wood case.

3. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I also had nunerous 70s recievers and Yamaha and Sansui is what I found I liked best.I moved on from Marantz the quickest.Some of the smaller units were ok at low to moderate levels but almost all started getting muddy sounding when a decent level of volume was applied.Any Marantz finds now will quickly be sold for the profit they have.What I have now is a early 80s H/K 460i that sounds better than most of 70s receivers I have owned.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Fender Relic likes this.
  4. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

The Yamaha "Natural Sound" receivers for me are at the bottom of the barrel. Wouldn't take them for free...or SONY's 70's receivers. We all have different ears and tastes.

5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I bought this about a week ago, its fantastic.

[​IMG]

6. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I have a beomaster 901 (rosewood finish)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a beomaster 1001 :

[​IMG]

I used to have one of these beauties (but sold it on as it was not working at the time),
    Beomaster 2000, still one of the most beautiful designs imho :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    mrz80, Manimal, Guitarded and 7 others like this.
  7. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I respect your experience and feel your statement is valad but I have the SX750 and SX 1250 and definitely don’t feel I’m missing out, but then again I’m not switching back and forth with my other stuff.
    If you like the “look” of these beauties I think they do the trick:)

SirMarc likes this.
  8. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

My first venture into stereo separates was 1975 and a friend who worked in a big hi-fi shop recommended a Marantz 1060 which was my only amp for decades and I finally gave it to son #1 who is still using it. The only repair ever needed was a spring for the power button and one tune up some years ago. I always wanted a Marantz receiver and ran into a 2238b at a fair price and then (2) 2252b's and a 2235b .I'm using all of those except the 2235b is having an issue.right now. I like the Marantz sound but I listen in small rooms at medium or lower volume so I don't need to push them. I've tried some Pioneers with varying results but never kept one,Sansui 7070,8080, which I liked, but sold 8080 to a friend and the 7070 needs repaired. Sansui seemed a bit warmer sounding. A friend gave me a HK 330C that he had picked up untested at a GW and it's rough looking and can use a cleaning/tune-up but it sounds great in my kitchen set up. Yes, I actually have a tolerant wife who doesn't mind me having the HK,Polk Series 5 monitors, and a Sony ps-lx2 TT on the kitchen table. But, then again,I do most of the cooking :angel:. So, I'm entertaining thoughts of trying a few more HK's and another recommendation of a Sansui 4000 or 5000a or x. The HK 330c sounds amazingly similar to my Fender tube amps for guitar. How did they do that?

9. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I have a Marantz Model 27.
    [​IMG]

I'd like a Model 18.
    [​IMG]

10. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

A beauty

11. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Most of my oldest ss gear sounds somewhat tube like. I'm talking gear ranging from the late 60's to mid 70's.

I have some slightly newer pieces that sound great...just not quite so tube like imo.

As the industry moved away from discrete componens to more integrated circuitry I feel the sound changed a bit.

This is an opinion based on models I own or owned. As always ymmv....

12. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I guess.I initially didn't like Yamaha sound.I thought they were thin and weak.It took me a bit to fully appreciate their sound.Cleaner,more detailed and uncolored.I like the Sony 7065 I have also.

13. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind owning a vintage Yamaha. I've never owned one. Perhaps a CR 1020 if I can find a reasonably priced one. The Yamaha's do seem to have a distinct signature sound.

ronm likes this.
  14. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Yes...that Sony 7065 is considered a bit of a sleeper. Built like a tank and great sounding. I have a later Sony STR 5 that I like a lot too. It's got a huge toroidal transformer and a 5 gang tuner. Probably not as warm sounding as the 7065, but still pretty good.

15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I had an SX series Pioneer and still have a mid 80's pioneer receiver and neither lost their warmth. They are as smooth as can be- smooth as velvet. The Marantz 2252 is also smooth and warm but definitely a bit more detailed.

Manimal and 4_everyman like this.
  16. Metamodern

Metamodern Forum Resident

I'll shortly be moving from a Denon AVR into my first integrated amp a Sansui AU-517. Anyone have thoughts on this amp? How's the phono preamp inside?

17. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

I was looking around for one of those last week! Still thinking. How do you like? Fantastic-how so?

18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It's a lot like when you clean a skillet you just cooked bacon in, fill it with water, drop in some dish soap and watch the grease clear away. The MAC cleared the grease away.

Everything is just lifted and much more detail. The bass isn't woolly an added presence/command without being bloated. 75wpc vs. the 35 I had in my Fisher kx-200is much more commanding and I can push the volume without anything suffering as a result. I've had several quality SS amps connected to these cornwalls and this is the first time I've preferred one to either of my Fishers. In the previous SS experiments the highs were shrill and the bass was very bloated. The MAC is very balance and keeps a very tight mid range. It does bring out a bit more shout from the horns but that could be getting accustomed to the extra detail.

All this is in direct comparison to my Fisher 400 which I did move out of the main position because of anemic bass and washed out detail. The direct comparison to the 200 that I got back from service yesterday has yet to happen and probably won't for some time.

The build quality on the MAC is amazing. The knobs are like jewelry, very heavy and solid without any slop. There is really no comparison to the the Pioneer, sansui or martanz receivers from the 70's that sell for about the same money.

Manimal and Daedalus like this.
  19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

saturday audio exchange in chicago has one for sale. looks mint. $1600. go to their site / used gear.

Daedalus and Dennis0675 like this.
  20. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

The sweetest-sounding of all the vintage tube receivers I've owned?

Call me crazy, but:

Fisher TA-500 (mono)

[​IMG]

21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That is deeply cool!

Manimal likes this.
  22. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

You're crazy. I jest.

I can believe that. I have heard some old, immediately-pre-stereo amplifiers that kill. Aside from Fisher, but in that league, H-K and Grundig come to mind. Find another and make you some monoblocs!

ROFLnaked likes this.
  23. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

I was looking at Tom Manley’s site and also Audio Classics. Thanks for the tip.

avanti1960 and Dennis0675 like this.
  24. nedder123

nedder123 Active Member

Tomlinson Holman who went on to THX fame.

McLover and CrazyCatz like this.
  25. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Bought my old man a Beomaster for Father's Day a few years back. Orgnal owner 2300 with matching table and speakers.
    Had it gone through and it is in his man cave, currently.

LitHum05 and sushimaster like this.